Acorn machines in the movies / TV

on-topic Acorn-related news and discussions not covered by the other forums
lurkio

Re: Acorn machines in the movies / TV

Post by lurkio » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 pm

tricky wrote:The Adventure Game often used one for the "contestants", here Johnny Ball and I don't know the other two.
Classic! Here's another nice use of the Beeb in The Adventure Game:
:idea:

beebdidi

Post by beebdidi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:29 pm

2 days ago in a french TV talk show, the guest was Depeche Mode (for their new album). During the show, they mentionned that in 1987 they recorded an album in a french studio. Guess what was sitting on the desk???
BBC_B1.JPG
BBC_B2.JPG
BBC_B3.JPG
BBC_B4.JPG
The speaker then asked 'what was that !!!' and the guy from depeche mode clearly answered 'A BBC micro' !

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I wasn't aware they had Beebs in French studios, unless the band brought theirs from home.

Kudos to the BBC being at home in any walk of life!

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Archimedes machines on Panorama. BLAIR'S BRITAIN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP8ftY2JxjI

crj

Post by crj » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:05 am

Wikipedia confirms that an Acorn System 1 was used as part of Slave in Blake's 7.

I've also heard that an Acorn System CPU board was the functioning part of Orac, the bit that actually made the lights blink. But I'm having trouble confirming that by squinting at photos.

dgrubb

Post by dgrubb » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 am

Found one!

Doctor Who: Silver Nemesis (1988). Nazis hiding in South America use an Archimedes for calculating the return destination of a meteorite conveying a Time Lord super-weapon.
vlcsnap-2017-11-08-21h21m13s534.png
vlcsnap-2017-11-08-21h21m00s242.png

zeem

Post by zeem » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 pm

I remember an episode of 2point4 Children with a plot line involving some kind of Internet chat. The computer was an Archimedes A310 or A400 series, seemingly programmed in BASIC to produce weird on-screen effects along with the "Internet chat".

noggin

Post by noggin » Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm

dgrubb wrote:Found one!

Doctor Who: Silver Nemesis (1988). Nazis hiding in South America use an Archimedes for calculating the return destination of a meteorite conveying a Time Lord super-weapon.

vlcsnap-2017-11-08-21h21m13s534.png

vlcsnap-2017-11-08-21h21m00s242.png
Believe it or not - that's my Archimedes monitor :)

I was paid for the day (my 16th Birthday!) to supervise the Archimedes and show the actors how to run the programme (I didn't write it - but I did modify it to make it easier to cue and recue (it just used the space bar to change from memory). It was a prime number calculation in Mode 7 followed by a routine loading a saved screen file in a different screen mode - created in Beebfont on a BBC Micro I think)

They didn't have a matching monitor - just an Archimedes with a Genlock board (to ensure it locked to the video cameras used to shoot the scene and avoid a shutter bar)

Why was I asked? Afraid I'm from a BBC family, and dad was an outside broadcast vision supervisor on that block of Doctor Who. As my parents were divorced, when dad had me I sometimes ended up on Outside Broadcasts...

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 am

Nice anecdote, hope you liked Dr who.

dgrubb

Post by dgrubb » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm

noggin wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm

I was paid for the day (my 16th Birthday!) to supervise the Archimedes and show the actors how to run the programme (I didn't write it - but I did modify it to make it easier to cue and recue (it just used the space bar to change from memory). It was a prime number calculation in Mode 7 followed by a routine loading a saved screen file in a different screen mode - created in Beebfont on a BBC Micro I think)

They didn't have a matching monitor - just an Archimedes with a Genlock board (to ensure it locked to the video cameras used to shoot the scene and avoid a shutter bar)

Why was I asked? Afraid I'm from a BBC family, and dad was an outside broadcast vision supervisor on that block of Doctor Who. As my parents were divorced, when dad had me I sometimes ended up on Outside Broadcasts...
That's a great anecdote. I always assumed the BBC had somebody technical on staff to handle this sort of thing.

noggin

Post by noggin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:48 am

dgrubb wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm
noggin wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm

That's a great anecdote. I always assumed the BBC had somebody technical on staff to handle this sort of thing.
They probably did on studio shows, but on outside broadcasts (which at that time Doctor Who was, rather than shooting on film on location) it was different. Plus it gave a 16 year old who had to go to work with his dad something to do.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 am

lurkio wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 pm
tricky wrote:The Adventure Game often used one for the "contestants", here Johnny Ball and I don't know the other two.
Classic! Here's another nice use of the Beeb in The Adventure Game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FIUiPSHrQ&t=98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FIUiPSHrQ&t=16m41s

Those videos have now been purged from YouTube, sadly.

I'm sure there are replacement vids online somewhere, but I thought I'd post some screenshots too:

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 am

A haunted Beeb made several appearances on Out Of This World (BBC TV, 1996):