Text Adventure Games

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
SS42

Text Adventure Games

Post by SS42 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi All,

Can anyone please recommend a good text adventure game...... One where you don't die too much :P

Cheers Suzie

mjforbes

Re: Text Adventure Games

Post by mjforbes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:31 pm

"Colditz Andventure" by Superior Software is quite good - not too hard, yet there's enough puzzles in there to make you think every now and again.

I'm pretty sure that this was the first adventure I ever managed to compete, way back in the days before beer and females took over my interests :)

Matt
"We're happy as fish, as gorgeous as geese, and wonderfully clean in the morning."

SS42

Post by SS42 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Thank you will give it a go, currently playing Suds and i'm very stuck.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi, Suzie,

If I were to choose just one beeb title I've got personal experience of, can I recommend you give The Saga of Erik the Viking a go?

It's from Level 9 / Mosaic Publishing and, in my opinion, is technically one of the best illustrated adventures ever produced for the beeb. The story is great - I have a soft spot for the original book it's based on, which was by ex-Python Terry Jones.

The game itself isn't too difficult and is fairly logical as I remember - tho that may be because I had the official hint sheet around when I completed it. However, there are equivalent walkthroughs available now and I, in fact, still have that original sheet, if you get stuck. :)

A lot of the game has you sailing around the north sea in your Viking ship so if you do get stuck at a bit, it's usually possible to carry on exploring and look for more locations rather than everything stopping as you bang your head against a particular troublesome puzzle.

Sam.

tautology

Post by tautology » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:09 pm

I can recommend Robico's Saga of a Spy trilogy (Rick Hanson, Project Thesius, Myreom), but I'd avoid their others as they seem a bit hit and miss.

Also if you want something to get your teeth into Robico/Heyley's Stranded! (NOT Superior's Stranded) will keep you busy for a while, I still haven't managed to get full points on it yet.
Last edited by tautology on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SS42

Post by SS42 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:56 pm

To All,

Thank you but my other half will never see me now once I get my teeth stuck into all these games :D

Cheers Suzie

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 pm

For what it's worth, I second Samwise's suggestion of Erik the Viking. It was the first adventure game that I ever completed, and there haven't been that many of those!

Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:05 am

Samwise wrote:If I were to choose just one beeb title I've got personal experience of, can I recommend you give The Saga of Erik the Viking a go?
I tried to play the .ssd image, but it crashes.
I tried it on BeebEm in BBC and Master mode. But both won't work.
Any hints?

Cheers

Koen
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:09 am

Hmm. I downloaded from that link and it seems to work just fine in Model B mode using Beebem 4.12 for Windows.

Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:56 pm

must be a mac thing then. :(
Does it also work on the Master using BeebEm?
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:34 am

Sure does. In either case, it waits for you to do something, eg 'LOOK', before giving a location description.

timmy

Post by timmy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Erik is good 'un, and likewise Robico's offerings. Thesius was the first game i ever completed. I was stunned!

Also, i must recommend Viking Software's efforts:
http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/arch ... ection.zip

:D

Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:35 pm

iamaran wrote:Sure does. In either case, it waits for you to do something, eg 'LOOK', before giving a location description.
Hmm, no reaction. The game hangs at the moment it saysWelcome to the Saga of Erik the Viking from Level 9 Computing'
Then I don't see what I type.
The TAB works (to display the picture)
But never mind. It's working on my Master :)
Even have changed the tape version a bit, so it works on disk (page at E00) and the melody can be heard :) while loading.

If people want, I can post it.

Cheers

Koen
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl

lemonzorba

Post by lemonzorba » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:03 am

i suspect this is a quiet thread as there are *very few* games that actually seem to be possible to complete, let alone easy :lol:

mjforbes

Post by mjforbes » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:24 am

Try "Crown Jewels" by Alligata. Possibly the easiest AG in the 8-bit community.

There's a UEF attached, and if you get stuck, there's my walkthrough on the main site (link below).

MJF

Sol -> http://www.stairwaytohell.com/gamehelp/ ... ls-mf.html
Attachments
Crown Jewels.rar
(9.35 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
"We're happy as fish, as gorgeous as geese, and wonderfully clean in the morning."

Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:39 am

Try my copy of Erik The Viking.
I transferred it to disc from the uef tape image in the archive.
It works ok on Beebem in BBC B mode with Acorn DFS.

Let me know if you have any problems.
I also did a copy of Emerald Isle if anyone is interested.
Erik The Viking.zip
(25.69 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

tautology

Post by tautology » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:18 pm

CASA has 329 games listed for the BBC/Electron, of which only 166 have not got solutions.

That means that 49.5% of all Text Adventures known about for the Beeb/Elk have been solved by somebody :-)

mjforbes

Post by mjforbes » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:34 pm

[quote]
That means that 49.5% of all Text Adventures known about for the Beeb/Elk have been solved by somebody
[/unqoute]

Leaving 50.5% unsolved or unsolvable? Sounds like a challenge!

I travel UK-AU/US weekly, so Beebem is great - how better a way to while a good few hours than trying to crack an adventure? Beats the terminally dull selection of movies that BA/AA/VS/AF/QA/CO/UA show in first class.

If someone wants to nominate a game, I'll do my best (off to LHR to SYD in a few hours.)

MJ

tautology

Post by tautology » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:06 pm

If you do solve any, could you post the solution/map/hints to CASA so effort is not duplicated (or PM them to me and I'll put them up, crediting you).

Gunness

Post by Gunness » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 am

I'm a little late to the party, but hopefully the OP can handle a couple more suggestions :)
Perhaps it's due to the fact that I haven't read the Erik the Viking novel, but I always found the game to be a rather disjointed affair. And way too much pointless sailing back and forth :) If we're talking Level 9, I'd much rather point to Lords of Time, or perhaps the later Lancelot. Both are at the easier end of the scale.

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:04 pm

Yeah, and who actually recommended SUDS? This is, to my mind, one of the craziest adventures ever written? Now you might say "Ah yes, but that's its genius!" - but the solutions to the problems are so illogical as to melt the very synapses of the brain. I'd recommend a Scott Adams adventure over SUDS!!

Gunness

Post by Gunness » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:21 am

Hey, there's nothing wrong with Scott's games ;)
Suds is the type of game probably best enjoyed with the programmer sitting next to you, explaining the puzzles as you go along.

If you're really into games that plays with puns, proverbs and what have you, Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It should be right up your alley. But AFAIK it's not out for the Beeb.

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:29 am

Gunness wrote:Hey, there's nothing wrong with Scott's games ;)
Scott's games are interesting but it is often difficult to tell if you're getting a good adventure - some of them are quite hit and miss. I remember playing GHOST TOWN for ages trying to find the last $200 of treasure. Finally I looked at your solution on CASA and found you had to type in PASS GO at an ornamental 'Go' board!!! Like whhhhhhhaaaaatttt? Who the hell was ever going to think of that?
Gunness wrote: Suds is the type of game probably best enjoyed with the programmer sitting next to you, explaining the puzzles as you go along.
Shame that he's DEAD then!!! ;-)

To return this thread to its topic, my random recommendations are: TO HELL IN A HAMPER, SAGA OF A SPY: THE RICK HANSON TRILOGY, WYCHWOOD and HOUSE: IT'S QUITE GOOD REALLY.

Jeremy Grayson

Post by Jeremy Grayson » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Dave_E wrote:
I remember playing GHOST TOWN for ages trying to find the last $200 of treasure. Finally I looked at your solution on CASA and found you had to type in PASS GO at an ornamental 'Go' board!!! Like whhhhhhhaaaaatttt? Who the hell was ever going to think of that?

Now here's the daft thing. I'm generally appalling at text adventures, but the puzzle you've outlined there I can follow the logic of completely and utterly! At least I think I can, anyway - presumably $200 is what you collect if you pass "Go" on a Monopoly board in the US? Yet there are doubtless simpler adventures out there that I can't even get that far with. Oh, and the likes of the Secret Sam duo of games, which even the authors admit are deranged and awful... :wink:

gc

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Right, let's get cracking!
I'm playing The Abominable Snowmen by WGames, simply because it's the first alphabetically without a solution.
I think I'm almost done but I'm stuck with the red/pink spheres. I've got a lot further into the game but I think I now need to solve it as it's preventing further progress.
If anyone fancies playing this I can send you my solution so far.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Gunness wrote:If you're really into games that plays with puns, proverbs and what have you, Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It should be right up your alley. But AFAIK it's not out for the Beeb.
Au contraire, my dear Gunness!

http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/z-machine

If anyone would like to test out Jon Welch's Z-Machine Interpreter for the beeb, I have a test environment that you can just unzip and go, complete with beeb versions of most of the infocom back catalogue available on the web. The v3 support is feature complete, the v4 (incl. Nord & Bert) and v5 stuff is a bit more hit and miss. I would love it if we could encourage some more ppl to test it out. Last time we tried to get some interest from the IF newsgroups we got very little response, with most ppl wondering why we were bothering using such an old platform.

If anyone'd like to try it out, please drop me a line and I'll send you the link to the test environment. Would love to get some feedback, if anyone's willing to play through some old Infocom games again.

Sam.

Gunness

Post by Gunness » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Hey, I'm intrigued! And I have a number of Infocom titles to (re)play - so I'll be happy to be the guinea pig de jour.
As long as it'll run in BeebEm, that is.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Excellent. Link on it's way, the reason I haven't publicly linked to one big download for everyone is just because the infocom games are technically still in copyright, so we're not legally allowed to distribute them ...

Anymore for anymore?! :) There are plenty of Infocom games available for test, as can be seen from the Z-Machine v3 Compatibility Testing Matrix.

Sam.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:30 pm

err ... no, wait. Link will be on it's way shortly. News update: I've just heard there may be a newer version available. Hurrah!

More when I find out what's been happening behind the scenes. :)

Sam.