SUDS help

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
SS42

SUDS help

Post by SS42 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Having recently discovered the electron emulators I have been playing all my old favourite games such as the Repton series. However its a text adventure called SUDS that is frustrating me! I can't get past the cess pit or the guard at the chewing gum recycling plant. Can anybody help? I think I need a peg for my nose but I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks,

Steve.

tautology

Re: SUDS help

Post by tautology » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:20 am

I've checked CASA and noticed that there isn't a solution for Suds yet, so if you manage to solve it, give me a shout and I'll put it up there.

It may be an idea for you to suggest it on the forums and see whether anybody else has played it.

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:31 pm

I completed this game, but so long ago...

A hint, courtesy of Electron User:
You will need to worm your way inside the chewing gum factory.

SS42

Post by SS42 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Getting a fair way through this game now, but am stuck at the gate?? How to get through??

tautology

Post by tautology » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Whilst we're talking about Suds, I'm pretty certain that the author of it (Dave Edwards) is on this forum.

I'd like to have a quick chat with him about whether Aussie Suds was ever released, as Elk User stated and if so, whether he still has a copy.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:43 pm

If it was ever released, it's not listed on Dave E's Acorn Electron World which makes it sound unlikely:

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/profs/ca ... rdale.html

Sam.

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:12 pm

In the December 89 issue of Electron User, Pendragon writes that Barbara Gibb has solved part one of Aussie Suds and that he can now help with all three Riverdale games.

I guess that doesn't prove it got a commercial release, maybe it was given to magazines but never got any further, but...

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/mags/eu/ ... pen35.html

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Ah, well, Barbara Gibb contributed to CASA recently, according to the front page ... so there's another lead to chase ...

Sam.

tautology

Post by tautology » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Samwise wrote:Ah, well, Barbara Gibb contributed to CASA recently, according to the front page ... so there's another lead to chase ...
Um... Well... Not exactly, as the CASA site authentication is tied to phpbb3, when we find a solution in a magazine etc. It gets a fake user created to ensure that credit is given where credit is due.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Oh.

Well that's not confusing in the slightest. No, wait! ... the other thing. :)

Sam.

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Hah, that old "Are you the same Dave Edwards who wrote SUDS?" question. The answer is no, I am not. In fact, the Dave Edwards who wrote SUDS and AMERICAN SUDS wrote three parts of AUSSIE SUDS and died before he wrote the final part. He had given the first three parts to Barbara Gibb to playtest and, knowing he would have wanted them to go to a good home, she sent the original tapes to Electron User, who then published them on the 'quite rare' companion cassettes, which in turn were then put on disc by me about 12 years ago.

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/companio ... .html#e601

Phew!

It would be helpful if I added a bit of info to the catalogue for SUDS in the AEW archives to explain this. I'll get on it.

tautology

Post by tautology » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey, Dave's a common name (as I'm one mesen). Sorry for the confusion. Though I got the idea that you weren't the same David Edwards, as your profile says that you're younger than me, and I'd have been too young to have written Suds at the time :-)

Looks like I'll have to buy the DVD (having just played through Suds and American Suds). But the above information has been invaluable... Thanks.

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:08 am

I've just solved the first part of Aussie Suds, downloaded from bbcmicro.co.uk. The completion screen reads:

"WELL DONE POM. You've completed the first part of your Aussie adventure in your own inimitable manner. And now you can go on to greater glory or abject failure in the second part of this engrossing saga. THE FULL FOUR-PART ADVENTURE CAN BE OBTAINED FROM RIVERDALE SOFTWARE, 95 PRINTON AVENUE, MANCHESTER M9 3JW. JUST FOUR POUNDS POST FREE!"

This does make it seem like only the first instalment was published as an enticement to buy the full version.

Are parts two and three available?

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:40 am

I believe that, sadly, the author died before the third game was completed. (At least, that's what I've read in various places)

[Edit: Ah! The full explanation is just a couple of posts above... although that suggests that there should be two additional parts out there, with just the fourth part missing

Although only one part when discussed previously? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14458&p=246524&hili ... ds#p246524 ]
Last edited by 8bitAG on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:35 pm

Suds has been near the top of my games-to-play (or replay) for a couple of years, might have to give it a bash over the weekend so we can compare notes on points we're stuck at ... though maybe I'm confused, I thought I had seen a solution to it online. Might be mistaken.
...Should have put more thought into thinking of a clever user name!!

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:19 pm

The Suds trilogy consists of Suds, American Suds and Aussie Suds. Each part of the trilogy is in 4 parts, and both Suds and American Suds are readily available and have been played and completed by many people. Dave_E has said that Aussie Suds parts 1 to 3 were published by Electron User (and that he transferred them to disk) and that only part 4 was incomplete and unreleased. However, only part 1 of Aussie Suds is available from the great resource bbcmicro.co.uk.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:33 pm

iamaran wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:19 pm
Dave_E has said that Aussie Suds parts 1 to 3 were published by Electron User (and that he transferred them to disk) and that only part 4 was incomplete and unreleased.
Here's the Electron User publication that Dave_E seems to be referring to -- it's on EveryGameGoing.com, a site which he runs:
Only part 1 of Aussie Suds seems to be present on the tape and the disc.

:?:

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:38 am

lurkio wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:33 pm
iamaran wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:19 pm
Dave_E has said that Aussie Suds parts 1 to 3 were published by Electron User (and that he transferred them to disk) and that only part 4 was incomplete and unreleased.
Here's the Electron User publication that Dave_E seems to be referring to -- it's on EveryGameGoing.com, a site which he runs:
Only part 1 of Aussie Suds seems to be present on the tape and the disc.

:?:
Thanks Lurkio, and that's what I'm asking - I've completed part 1 and the "victory" message seems to suggest part 1 is the only one on the EU tape as a "taster". Are parts 2 and 3 actually extant or is it just heresay!?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:29 am

iamaran wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:38 am
Thanks Lurkio, and that's what I'm asking - I've completed part 1 and the "victory" message seems to suggest part 1 is the only one on the EU tape as a "taster". Are parts 2 and 3 actually extant or is it just heresay!?
I have never seen parts 2, 3 or 4 of Aussie Suds. The only part of Aussie Suds that I've ever seen is part 1.

And I haven't seen any evidence that any parts of Aussie Suds other than part 1 ever existed.

:idea:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:09 pm

I've just returned to Aussie Suds and am still stuck. I've managed to get as far as the old man's house and believe I need the parrot. From memory I don't ever recall seeing a parrot so my question is, is the parrot in part 1 (the ship) or part 2 (the beach, scrubland etc) ? I'd rather not have any further info than that please.

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:32 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:09 pm
I've just returned to Aussie Suds and am still stuck. I've managed to get as far as the old man's house and believe I need the parrot. From memory I don't ever recall seeing a parrot so my question is, is the parrot in part 1 (the ship) or part 2 (the beach, scrubland etc) ? I'd rather not have any further info than that please.
Part 1.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:02 pm

Ta missed it then.,,

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Restored my old saved game position and found the parrot straightaway. Doh!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”