Gnome Adventure (from Model B Computing magazine)

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
fuzzel

Re: Gnome Adventure (from Model B Computing magazine)

Post by fuzzel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:47 pm

You have a bit of competition here PJ-1978, I've made a bit of progress myself and am now in the dirty main street.
I'm bound to have brought the wrong objects with me but hopefully I'm also not far off completing this game.
I like the quirky, surreal ones. And the mode7 colours really grow on you.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:51 pm

PJ-1978 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:51 am
Sorry folks, I literally fell asleep whilst playing this game late last night.
Lol! That's dedication for you!

PJ-1978 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:51 am
I'm VERY near the end, I believe, just stumped on one bit (involving the beauty parlour, if anyone else gets there) where I keep getting ejected from.
Looking at the BASIC source, it seems that <rot13>lbh zvtug unir gb or jrnevat fbzrguvat</rot13>..?

:?:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 pm

I'm now in the shopping area and stuck! I can see five wearable objects and I presume I need to wear them all but can only wear two. I suspected they had to be put on in the right order but have tried all combinations I think. I just can't fathom this out at present.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi lurkio, did you get a shout out on Radio X this afternoon (Outkast) ?

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:54 pm

I've now got past the Ogre both ways and I believe I just have to get back towards the start to claim the prize!
Unfortunately, that's game playing over for me for today, so will hopefully complete tomorrow.
One bug-bear I have, certainly manifesting itself royally in the latter part of the game is the 3 object carrying limit. You have to know precisely what to carry at each stage which means lots of saving state, trying things, then restoring state each time when you know what you need. Bit of a pain really.
Is it really cheating if you change the game code to give yourself unlimited objects to carry? In my book no if it turns the game from tedious into enjoyable.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Hello folks, apologies for no update yesterday (real life still gets in the way occasionally, even mid-lockdown!) :D

Wow Fuzzel, just read up, you made it further than me - only saw after I'd written this post up, where am I going wrong :) Thus far I can only 'wear' the tunic.

Oh and Lurkio, confess I was totally lost on this :D
lurkio wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:51 pm
Looking at the BASIC source, it seems that <rot13>lbh zvtug unir gb or jrnevat fbzrguvat</rot13>..?

GNOME ADVENTURE - WALKTHROUGH (so very nearly completed!!)
N
Eat Mushrooms
N (obviously)
Take map
Pull lever
Take gasmask
Wear gasmask
Drop map (else when holding the torch it will catch light and kill you; save if holding the leaflet)
D
Take torch
S
S
Take axe
N
Smash wall (Smash box will also work)
Take box (or "translator")
Wear box
N
U
Drop torch
Take map
S
Take leaflet
N
E
SE
E
Drop leaflet
E
Smash statue
Drop axe
Take emerald
West
Drop axe
Drop emerald
SE
SE
Wait (if you move you will be killed here, wait to be rescued)
(The mushrooms at the location you find yourself at are actually poisonous mushrooms, don't eat then)
SE
Drop map
Take food
SW
NW
NW
N
E
Help (to call the Wise Gnome to pull the spade out of the ground for you)
Take spade
E
Pull onion
Take onion
In
Give food
Out
W
W
Drop boots
Take boots (this is needed as if you are wearing the boots, you will be pulled towards the metal pole on the next screen and killed)
S
SE
Wear boots
SE
SE
Take map
NE (swamp boots must be worn by this point else you'll drown)
SE
E
UP
Give onion
D
W
NW
NE
Dig
Take scroll
SW
SW (note: I don't THINK I've missed anything in the swamp!!)
SW
NW
Drop boots
NW
Drop map
Drop spade
Take leaflet
N
NW
NW
Give leaflet
W
Take radio
N
(You don't have to 'Knock' here but you can, to which the door opens... or you can just got straight 'In' regardless, suggesting it was originally intended that you had to knock but not implemented properly)
Give scroll
Out
S
E
SE
SE
S
---The next move, to the West, will take you to the next area of the game and you will not be able to return here. The items you take with you may/may not affect whether the game is completable or not
Take emerald (definitely needed as it has not been used yet; I suspect it might have something to do with the bangle with the ruby in, which the Union Boss gave you in return for the scroll) Take another item if you so wish
---Note also with this location: It also lists 'magnetic stick' as ?possible? item, but as far as I can work out this is just part of the location and have found nothing else to do here other than make sure you're not wearing the swamp boots to avoid being crushed
E
(Note here, if you type "read sign" it triggers a bit of location description which should have appeared but doesn't)
Pull lever
E
S
(The radio transmitter causes the arcade machine to drop a coin)
Drop radio
Take coin

...And that's as far as I've got. If you go N then NE, you enter the beauty parlour and get kicked out.
Clearly the puzzle involves having to disguise yourself as a gnome to enter, using the items found in the various little shops on the high-street. However, whilst you can pick them all up, I've found that you can only 'Wear' the tunic... of of the others say that you can't wear them yet.

I'm obviously missing a needed action here though it's pretty much clear the sort of thing that needs doing. Anyone wanna have a bash?
:)
...Should have put more thought into thinking of a clever user name!!

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 pm

pj-1978 wrote:
lurkio wrote:
↑Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:51 pm

That got me as well.
PJ-1978 wrote:
Clearly the puzzle involves having to disguise yourself as a gnome to enter, using the items found in the various little shops on the high-street. However, whilst you can pick them all up, I've found that you can only 'Wear' the tunic... of of the others say that you can't wear them yet.
You need to enter each shop in the correct order then wear each item in that particular shop. I also managed to wear two items then it told me I couldn't wear the next one yet. But that was because I entered the wrong third shop. Keep trying, you'll get there!

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:09 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 pm
pj-1978 wrote:
lurkio wrote:
↑Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:51 pm

That got me as well.
PJ-1978 wrote:
You need to enter each shop in the correct order then wear each item in that particular shop. I also managed to wear two items then it told me I couldn't wear the next one yet. But that was because I entered the wrong third shop. Keep trying, you'll get there!
Is that literally entering the shops in the correct order, or just attempting to wear the items in the right order?
At first I collected all the items and dumped them in one location to wear. Beyond that I *thought* I had tried every single combination but obviously haven't. I'll have another bash.
....And it's eerie cos I remember this puzzle kicking the stuffing out of me years ago and it is again now!! :lol:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:26 pm

I visited each shop, tried to wear the object, if couldn’t went to another shop and so on.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:29 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:26 pm
I visited each shop, tried to wear the object, if couldn’t went to another shop and so on.
I've done that in just about every combination, but seemingly still haven't found the right one (as mentioned, I'm wearing the tunic and that's it). It'll sit and put another hour...(!) in trying to find the right order! :lol: After 'tunic' I've tried every item next but each one won't go, which can only suggest tunic first is wrong. Be glad to get past this flippin' bit of the game!! :lol: :lol:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 pm

The first two I wore were the tunic then the belt.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:40 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 pm
The first two I wore were the tunic then the belt.
I've tried that, and now tried it again after you've given that heads up, and it's STILL not happening. Bizarre, I'm missing something here. :?:
Out of interest, what are you running it under? It's become apparent (and bought back memories) that the game can be quite fussy depending exactly what it's being run on.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:46 pm

I’m using Beebem with save state to save my position.
I’m not using the Master version lurkio posted but the modified beeb version he posted afterwards
Later when I get on my pc I’ll try again and give you a mini walkthrough - fingers crossed it works!

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:43 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:46 pm
I’m using Beebem with save state to save my position.
I’m not using the Master version lurkio posted but the modified beeb version he posted afterwards
Later when I get on my pc I’ll try again and give you a mini walkthrough - fingers crossed it works!
I'm running on BeebEm too, under the standard B emulation.
It's obviously something in the game itself then that I'm doing in the wrong order... any clues on it will be appreciated as that awkward puzzle is actually boring me now!! :lol: :lol:

EDIT: Just tried AGAIN, tunic first, belt second. Allows tunic, not belt. (Was going to post a screenshot but, due to the layout of the screen, it kinda confirms nothing!). Argh, has to be something I've not done correctly first. I've dropped all other items to ensure there's nothing there stopping me 'wearing' things (bar the bangle, which can't get off)... really bugging me now!! :mrgreen:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Ok, here's my start position:
Dirty Main Street.jpg
Then the sequence of moves is as follows:

NE, WEAR TUNIC, SW, W, WEAR BELT, E, SE, WEAR BEARD, NW, S, WEAR HAT, N, N, WEAR LEGG (BEEP!), S

As you say, you can't really screenshot moves because the main screen doesn't update when you do things, if you take an object for instance it remains in the location on the screen until you LOOK again.

If this doesn't work I'm not sure how I can help, maybe it's something I did earlier in the game that you didn't. Unfortunately I haven't been keeping a log of my walkthrough, just kept saving states as I've solved each puzzle I've done. I hope this helps anyway.
Attachments
Dirty Main Street Wearing All.jpg

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Here's what I've managed to cobble together so far, from PJ's and fuzzel's walkthroughs. You can copy and paste this into BeebEm and turn the emulation speed up to 50 FPS to see the game whizz through the commands!:

Code: Select all

NORTH
EAT MUSHROOMS
NORTH
TAKE MAP
PULL LEVER
TAKE GASMASK
WEAR GASMASK
DROP MAP
DOWN
TAKE TORCH 
SOUTH
SOUTH
TAKE AXE
NORTH
SMASH WALL 
TAKE BOX 
WEAR BOX
NORTH
UP
DROP TORCH
GET MAP
SOUTH
TAKE LEAFLET
NORTH
EAST
SE
E
DROP LEAFLET
SMASH STATUE
GET EMERALD
W
DROP AXE
DROP EMERALD
SE
SE
WAIT
SE
DROP MAP
GET FOOD
SW
NW
NW
N
E
HELP
GET SPADE
E
PULL ONION
GET ONION
IN
GIVE FOOD
OUT
W
W
DROP BOOTS
GET BOOTS
S
SE
WEAR BOOTS
SE
SE
GET MAP
NE
SE
E
UP
GIVE ONION
D
W
NW
NE
DIG
GET SCROLL
SW
SW
SW
NW
DROP BOOTS
NW
DROP MAP
DROP SPADE
E
GET LEAFLET
W
N
NW
NW
GIVE LEAFLET
W
TAKE RADIO
N
KNOCK
IN
GIVE SCROLL
OUT
S
E
SE
SE
S
E
PULL LEVER
E
S
DROP RADIO
GET COIN
N
W
NE
WEAR TUNIC
SW
W
WEAR BELT
E
SE
WEAR BEARD
NW
S
WEAR HAT
N
N
WEAR LEGGINGS
S
Here's where that leaves you:

sst.png

:idea:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:42 pm

Very nice work! That'll be the game finished tomorrow then!
Famous last words of course...

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:44 pm

lurkio wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:21 pm
Here's what I've managed to cobble together so far, from PJ's and fuzzel's walkthroughs. You can copy and paste this into BeebEm and turn the emulation speed up to 50 FPS to see the game whizz through the commands!:
Wow, that worked, thanks. And yet, if I go back to my save states and try to put he costume on in exactly the same order, it still won't allow me. There's obviously a certain condition ?or glitch? that the game doesn't seem to like.
Either way I'm past that now and now determined to finally complete the damned thing!! :D

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:40 pm

Best of british to you!

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:07 am

Finally, FINALLY completed it. :D Many thanks for the input guys, I'll write up a full walkthrough over the weekend, and am happy to share credit on it if you want.

Although not a 'classic', I actually found it a fun little game with a more polish, both in terms of code (the save to memory is very nice), and overall came than some of the bog standard freebie/public domain games; it might have even merited a budget release. (Definitely a bit fussy depending on what it's running on though, and even now I cant work out the costume puzzle possible-glitch thing!) I want to write a few reviews of various BBC text adventures and will try and do one for this one!

Well, now that's finally out of the way, recommendations as to what vintage unsolved adventure to try and finally do next? (I'm hacking away still at 'Sea Queen' and have made a bit of progress. Suds is a possible if it's unsolved, as is 'Body in the Bunker'. Anything quirky and non-aliens, non-dungeons usually holds my interest).

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:19 am

Well done! Looking forward to the review. I've not actually played it through to the end yet but, presumably, after getting past the ogre I won't have much more to do. Regarding your next game, I would persevere with The Sea Queen. Aussie Suds is a fairly short game which was supposed to come in several parts but the author died and only part 1 was made available. I think I've nearly solved it but am stuck and now suspect that it maybe wasn't completed after all. I'll have to revisit it if I can find my map and notes. The body in the bunker is a very, very enjoyable game with great text, probably closer to the Infocom detective games than anything else on the beeb as far as I'm aware, and I'm halfway through that but stuck. Again, if only I could find my notes...

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 am

fuzzel wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:19 am
I think I've nearly solved it but am stuck and now suspect that it maybe wasn't completed after all.
I'm pretty sure that Barbara Gibb completed the first part, as the game's playtester. Knowing Barbara, she wouldn't have passed it on for publication if it couldn't have been completed. [Poor Barbara had to wade through teenage me's awful spelling when playtesting my stuff back in the day]

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:05 am

Ok thanks, I'll resume Aussie Suds today. Any idea what Barbara's up to these days by the way? She was a major contributor to a number of adventure sites but seems to have disappeared in the last 8 years or so.

iamaran

Post by iamaran » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:21 am

PJ-1978 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:07 am
Well, now that's finally out of the way, recommendations as to what vintage unsolved adventure to try and finally do next? (I'm hacking away still at 'Sea Queen' and have made a bit of progress. Suds is a possible if it's unsolved, as is 'Body in the Bunker'. Anything quirky and non-aliens, non-dungeons usually holds my interest).
There are solutions for all 4 'episodes' of both Suds and American Suds. I have solved Aussie Suds part 1, but haven't submitted the solution as I'm still not certain whether parts 2 and 3 were released.

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:35 am

fuzzel wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:05 am
Ok thanks, I'll resume Aussie Suds today. Any idea what Barbara's up to these days by the way? She was a major contributor to a number of adventure sites but seems to have disappeared in the last 8 years or so.
I don't. Barbara, as you will know, was the longest-serving editor of the legendary Adventure Probe fanzine; I'm not sure if she's been active in the community since Probe closed. I've not had any recent contact with her, since contributing to Probe back in the day and when she used to playtest Scott and I's games. I know, at one point, that she handed over her Probe archive to one of the Spectrum sites; but sadly, very little of that material seemed to have been scanned and shared. (Which is a shame, as Probe is such as useful diary of the UK text adventure scene)

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:37 am

fuzzel wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:19 am
Well done! Looking forward to the review. I've not actually played it through to the end yet but, presumably, after getting past the ogre I won't have much more to do. Regarding your next game, I would persevere with The Sea Queen. Aussie Suds is a fairly short game which was supposed to come in several parts but the author died and only part 1 was made available. I think I've nearly solved it but am stuck and now suspect that it maybe wasn't completed after all. I'll have to revisit it if I can find my map and notes. The body in the bunker is a very, very enjoyable game with great text, probably closer to the Infocom detective games than anything else on the beeb as far as I'm aware, and I'm halfway through that but stuck. Again, if only I could find my notes...

Yes you're right near the end now, it's just a matter of get back to the main street and don't hang around else the ogre will catch you up.
A clue if you need it - there's one item you'll need in order to safely get through a certain location without being killed (just as you did when coming in the previous direction) and it's not possible to retrieve it from the ogre's cave... drop it before you go in. (Hopefully not too much of a spoiler)

I'm persisting with 'Sea Queen' but in shorter bursts (it can be a bit finicky in places to make much progress but I'm getting there), 'Body in the Bunker' sounds like a strong candidate if it is indeed not yet solved. I'll post my progress if anyone wants to join in hacking away at it. It did strike me as rather Infocom-like when I read the description. I still may well dip into Suds regardless at some point.

My review will likely be very similar to comments I've made about the game anyway, but I'll write something up for CASA very soon (in fact a few classic titles I want to review this weekend, starting with the first ever text adventure I ever played and still my favourite, Epic's 'Wheel of Fortune'.)

When I write up Gnome's walkthrough, do people have a general preference, ie. simple "follow the commands" (N, SE, Get Lamp, etc.) or those written more descriptively ("We'll need a light source to enter the cave, so head north...")?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:44 am

Well done on finishing this troublesome game!

=D> =D> =D>

PJ-1978 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:37 am
When I write up Gnome's walkthrough, do people have a general preference, ie. simple "follow the commands" (N, SE, Get Lamp, etc.) or those written more descriptively ("We'll need a light source to enter the cave, so head north...")?
Ideally, write the commands in ALL CAPS (so they can be pasted into an emulator) and your notes in ordinary sentence case. Start a new line for each new command:

EAST
NORTH
GET LAMP (we'll need a light source for the cave)
NORTH
IN (watch out for the bats)
DOWN
etc.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:11 am

lurkio wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:44 am
Well done on finishing this troublesome game!

=D> =D> =D>

PJ-1978 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:37 am
Ideally, write the commands in ALL CAPS (so they can be pasted into an emulator) and your notes in ordinary sentence case. Start a new line for each new command:

EAST
NORTH
GET LAMP (we'll need a light source for the cave)
NORTH
IN (watch out for the bats)
DOWN
etc.

That's what I've always understood to be the norm, but I've seen many a-walkthrough where it's pretty much all written (which I personally find a slog to get though in order to pull out the info actually needed)! I shall stick with the conventional methods. :)
Currently writing my CASA reviews for 'Wheel of Fortune' and 'The Puppet Man', my first two and two of my favourite adventures for the Beeb (and was always proud that I completed them both, with no access to hints way back then).

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:55 am

I also loved Wheel of Fortune, I remember getting a copy on tape from a friend bitd. I'd quite like to see the cassette / disc cover for it, I'll try to hunt it out. I solved it but haven't played it since so it would be nice to have another go. A few things I remember about it are the weird characters, a well which was crucial to the plot, the elongated map where you had to go east or west lots of times to get to places and the excellent mode 7 graphics. I think I'm right that it was the first adventure with graphics I'd played. It also prompted me to buy their bigger sequel on disc, The Lost Crystal, which I have in the loft somewhere.
Regarding walkthroughs, they're a matter of personal preference. The first I encountered were in The Micro User's Mad Hatter column which had accompanying pictures. I loved that column, if you haven't read them (they started with Alice's column back in 1984 before she handed over the reins a few years later) then I strongly recommend you do. That narrative style is my personal preference because when I'm playing a game I like to take my time, do the mapping, enjoy the wordy text descriptions (if available) and with the narrative form you can get insights into other people's views on the game they're playing which makes it feel less of a solitary endeavour to me. I've never liked the clinical N, S, GET LAMP, RUB LAMP style although its advantage is you're less likely to accidentally read the solution to another puzzle within the game because you're looking at a blizzard of short words and letters and as Lurkio has pointed out, you can copy and paste this into Beebem to quickly parachute yourself into any point in the game knowing you're on that direct line to the solution.
By the way, here are a few words from Alice about Wheel of Fortune: "I have mentioned The Wheel of Fortune before. This program is in machine code with 250 rooms, multiple high level commands, graphics and interactive characters. The rooms are drawn very quickly in the top half of the screen and the text scrolls underneath. One interesting command is CONTINUE, which whizzes you along straight roads or down ropes until you can't go any further. You can enter very complex commands like: "Pick up the axe, saw, hammer and spade then take the lamp and light it". But you quickly find that any error, like there is no axe around, causes the program to ignore the rest of the sentence. I must confess to being a reactionary verb/noun player - unless I have a choice of what to hit the interactive characters with - so no great hints here either. It's me who needs help. The object of the game is to recover the wheel from the bottom of a well. Like The Hobbit, the characters freewheel and interact. That is, their behaviour depends on how nice you are to them. So I gave the beggar a penny and he poisoned me. I think Epic would do better if they gave more hints and explanations form this game like the booklets that Level 9, Salamandar and Melbourne provide." - MICRO USER - AUG'84.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Btw, if it's ok with everyone, could we continue the unsolved adventures debate in the topic:"Unfinished Text Adventures" please?

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”