Gnome Adventure (from Model B Computing magazine)

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
PJ-1978

Gnome Adventure (from Model B Computing magazine)

Post by PJ-1978 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 pm

I've already posted this in the 'Unsolved Text Adventures' thread (I understand if you want to delete either post, admin), but -
I've een lurking on the forums for a couple of years as I dip in and out classic text adventures on the Beeb when time allows.

Lockdown's seen me attempting to beat odd couple that stumped me as a boy (I'm proud to say I finished a number of the greats back then!), I'm currently on 'Gnome Adventure', certainly lesser known title (not to be confused with the better known 'Gnome Ranger'), which appeared on Issue 8 of 'Model B Computing'.
This one stumped me 30 years ago, certain rooms which 'loop round' no matter which direction you go being a real pain.

Does anybody know how to get swamp boots to cross the swamp (I know they exist from the programme listing!); and what there is to do at the Union HQ (one of the annoying locations that every direction wraps round back where you started and you can't escape!)? This is a far more obscure title so interested if anyone at all knows, as if anyone has ever completed it, there's certainly no record of it on-line.
It's written in basic so the listing is easily viewable (when this wasn't the case as a boy I used to load them into Wordwise Plus!) but I doesn't give me enough clues as to what I'm doing wrong!
...Should have put more thought into thinking of a clever user name!!

lurkio

Re: Gnome Adventure (from Model B Computing magazine)

Post by lurkio » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:59 pm

PJ-1978 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 pm
Does anybody know how to get swamp boots to cross the swamp (I know they exist from the programme listing!); and what there is to do at the Union HQ ...
Hi. Could you please post a walkthrough (a sequence of commands to type into the game) of your progress so far?

:?:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:27 pm

I want to play this one, suddenly having a window open up in my free time.
Is it available on a disc image anywhere?
Also, this discussion would be better placed in the "Unfinished Text Adventures" thread.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:42 pm

lurkio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:59 pm
PJ-1978 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:46 pm
Does anybody know how to get swamp boots to cross the swamp (I know they exist from the programme listing!); and what there is to do at the Union HQ ...
Hi. Could you please post a walkthrough (a sequence of commands to type into the game) of your progress so far?

Certainly can (I started playing it this weekend with goal to write a walkthough when completed anyway....) :)
I've also placed it under the "uncompleted" thread as wasn't sure where it belonged, and if it has ever been completed.

* North
* Eat Mushrooms
* North
* Take Map
* Pull Lever
* Take Gasmask
* Wear Gasmask
* Drop Map
* Down
* Take Torch (map needs to have been dropped by this point else you go up in flames, as indeed would the leaflet if in possession)
* South
* South
* Take Axe
* North
* Smash Wall (Smash Box will do the same)
* Take Box (Translator)
* Wear Translater
* North
* Up
* Drop Torch (for now, not sure if it's needed again)
* South
* Take Leaflet
* North
* East
* Southeast
---next sequence in debate if it is the correct course of action, I believe so--
* Smash statue
* Take emerald
* Southeast
---
* Southeast
* Wait
* Southeast (mushrooms here - actually toadstalls - are poisonous)
* Southeast
* Take food
* .... Northeast from here will take you into the swamp and kill you without swamp boots

....Union H.Q. building (easily found, a number of locations will lead you here... and take you around in a frustrating loop!)

* Give leaflet
* West
* Take transmitter

....and that's as far as I've got.
This one really stumped me 30 years ago as a boy, and is again now. Almost wondering if the programme is buggy .... there's got to be some solution to the multi-direction "loop" rooms, surely.
Listing the programme suggests there is something else to do inside the H.Q., to do with a door and a boss, but it's not apparent in the actual game.

I do recall getting slightly further those 30 years ago, but only, I recall, after actually poking around with the programme listings and moving items around!!

See if you can fathom any more than I can!! :)

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:18 pm

PJ-1978 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:42 pm
* Southeast
---next sequence in debate if it is the correct course of action, I believe so--
* Smash statue
Thanks! But the statue doesn't seem to be there..?

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:27 pm

My apologies, I missed a step. First go east to get to the statue. :shock:
lurkio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:18 pm
PJ-1978 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:42 pm
* Southeast
* Smash statue
Thanks! But the statue doesn't seem to be there..?

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:46 am

Update on this: After going through this game yet again, I've come to the conclusion now that the game is buggy and as such, can't be completed.

There are several areas where every single direction (including up and down) is available to exit form a location, which just takes you round and round back to the same location. At first I thought this was a puzzle but on analysis now, and having done everything imaginable with every item in every room, I'm convinced it's a bug in the programme.

If I ever get my Beeb back up and running (latest update, Beeb running fine now, old Cub monitor now packed up.. and that's before I resurrect tape and disk drives) I'll load up the original and see if it runs the same way. I couldn't beat it 30+ years ago so was likely to the self same bug.

Other than being badged 'Model B Computing' there's no clue I can see as to the actual author(s), no-one we can ask what they remember about it.
If anyone has any other thoughts or discoveries I'd be fascinated to know. :)

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:59 am

PJ-1978 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:46 am
I've come to the conclusion now that the game is buggy and as such, can't be completed ... If anyone has any other thoughts or discoveries I'd be fascinated to know. :)
Have you drawn a map? If so, could you upload it, or a photo of it, please?

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:16 am

I'm planning on persevering with this funny little game, it's got me intrigued. Surely, it's solvable...

I'll examine the files and get a list of commands / objects / locations and take it from there.

It does seem rather large for a magazine, presumably it came on an accompanying cassette tape?

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:45 pm

lurkio wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:59 am
Have you drawn a map? If so, could you upload it, or a photo of it, please?
I have but it's literally just little squiggles - give me a couple of hours and I'll do it slightly more legible (might be old school pen and paper method, though!)

fuzzel wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:16 am
I'm planning on persevering with this funny little game, it's got me intrigued. Surely, it's solvable...

I'll examine the files and get a list of commands / objects / locations and take it from there.

It does seem rather large for a magazine, presumably it came on an accompanying cassette tape?
I've waded through the commands, objects, locations and event happenings (yet again, my very crude 'In Wordwise' method), which ironically I also did when trying to solve it all those years ago. When playing it, there appears to be something else to do inside the Union HQ (something to do with a door and making a donation) but it is not evident in the game and is one of the locations where the rooms just loop over and over in what appears to be a glitch.

It came on cassette, I actually still have it on the table by me (can't run the original version at moment, monitor not working and belts gone in tape drive), it was quite a quirky game that intrigued me than and now.
It's actually quite polished for a magazine game in many ways, in that is has memory location save and just seems a little more plush than many bog-standard text adventures. Model B Computing actually had some really interesting programmes it offered each month, and they didn't all just feel like 'what can we do on the cheap'.
I have about 5 or 6 issues on cassette (got them in a box lot of old Beeb games at a boot sale circa 1989-ish) and even beyond 'Gnome Adventure', they're worth a browse (I should really take a look at the issues I never had for other hidden gems!)

As mentioned in thread above, as a boy I did use my rudimentary BASIC skills move an item or two and re-route a room or two when I found the game unsolvable, but still didn't get much further. Though if the game is buggy and is only in Basic... It may actually be fixable (Though I'm incredibly rusty on Basic personally).

This quirky little game has been bugging me for over three decades now, let's see if we can finally get it up on that 'solved' list!! :lol:
(Ironically, having waded through the listings to see where I'm going wrong so many times, I pretty much know how to complete the rest of the game after the 'bug' anyway I think!!)

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:14 pm

Having locations that annoyingly loop you around, in itself, doesn't sound like a bug. That was quite common in old school text adventures.

Edit: Although I agree that in this case it seems like a bug... You can't seemingly leave the location with the troll if you don't have the pass.

Edit2: Yeah, it definitely doesn't feel right. All the locations around there start having every single possible exit; which sort of suggests some corrupt lines of code.
Last edited by 8bitAG on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:26 pm

8bitAG wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:14 pm
Having locations that annoyingly loop you around, in itself, doesn't sound like a bug. That was quite common in old school text adventures.
It was indeed, and I've gnashed my teeth at many of them in my time, but there is always a clue or a solution to them, this one just locks you into a location with no apparent 'puzzle'. This one does slightly seem more like a bug as these loop rooms seem to happen in locations where it doesn't appear to be a puzzle, to where there's no evident solution, and at the HQ, seems to be a glitch that prevents from accessing another location or doing something needed. Or at least that's the only conclusion I've come to after MANY hours of trying.

Map (very crude) on it's way.

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Here, in proper old-school manner and shamelessly looking like the work of a 6 year old, is a map of where I've got to so far. (Note there is a brief stage at the beginning that literally guides you into the next room that I've not included here).

Hopefully it makes sense. I've also marked known item locations on.
The locations regarding the blue path and the outside of the Union HQ are where the "endless loop" puzzle or bug takes place. Giving the guard the leaflet allows you access West inside the HQ, but beyond that, every single direction available will lead you into a continuous loop of the same location.

Things I know:
- There ise something else to do inside the Union HQ (other than take the radio transmitter), listing the programme gives this away (a door, a union boss and giving him an item), but it is not evident before hitting the "endless loop" issue.
- The magnetic pole is a bit ambiguous. It also lists a magnetic stick where its are normally listed, but I am unsure if it means the metal pole or is a different item. (Has possibly just sparked something in my memory, let me try a couple of things with this.......)
- The swamp to the West of the cottage requires Swamp Boots to cross, which I've yet to find in any of these rooms (puzzle yet to be solved to get them?)
- The statue at the grove can be smashed with the axe to get the emerald, but I am not sure if this is the correct procedure or if I am missing something by simply smashing the statue)

EDIT: Ignore the "inconsistent directions to/from cottage" note - I confused myself with my own map!" :lol: :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmig25f4397lk86/map.jpg?dl=0

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Here's a list of commands which are always useful to know (I took a little peak in the program listing):
GO / RUN
CLIMB / JUMP
GET / TAKE / CARRY
DROP / LEAVE / THROW
BUY
KNOCK
DIG
PULL
PUSH
RUB
EXAM
LOOK
HIT / SMASH / ATTACK
SAY
GIVE
INV
READ
SING
FEED
WEAR
EAT
WAIT
HELP
INSERT

Then there are a few extras - spoilers! - they must be magic words

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:54 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:57 pm
Here's a list of commands which are always useful to know (I took a little peak in the program listing):
GO / RUN
CLIMB / JUMP
GET / TAKE / CARRY
DROP / LEAVE / THROW
BUY
KNOCK
DIG
PULL
PUSH
RUB
EXAM
LOOK
HIT / SMASH / ATTACK
SAY
GIVE
INV
READ
SING
FEED
WEAR
EAT
WAIT
HELP
INSERT

Then there are a few extras - spoilers! - they must be magic words
Yes I believe they are magic words or even just inserted in the code to catch crafty cheaters out, have been killed off many times trying to use them.

Spent another hour this eve poking around trying a few things, but again, nothing. My conviction that the game is buggy has ridden another percent.

If I could run my original cassette I'd load it up for peace of mind just to check that it runs exactly the same as it does on emulation - but as I was never able to crack on the B anyway, I suspect it plays exactly the same.

EDIT: By the way Lurkio, I'm not ignoring private message, I just can't reply to any yet until I'm more active on the group. :)

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks for the map, PJ!

I did a quick hack of the BASIC code to get it to print the current room-number at the prompt, and I've labelled the rooms on the map with their room-numbers. Not sure it helps! But it does seem to show that four rooms might have gone AWOL between 27 (the Blue Path room) and 32 (Outside Union HQ):

map-.jpg

:idea:

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:43 pm

lurkio wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:32 pm
Thanks for the map, PJ!

I did a quick hack of the BASIC code to get it to print the current room-number at the prompt, and I've labelled the rooms on the map with their room-numbers. Not sure it helps! But it does seem to show that four rooms might have gone AWOL between 27 (the Blue Path room) and 32 (Outside Union HQ):

map-.jpg

That would make sense and does rather back up by theory that the game is glitchy.

I tried to do some online research today to see who might have authored the game, but didn't get much. But I have began to suspect it might be The Darling Brothers, Richard and David Darling. They were indeed paid as freelancers to write cover games for Model B Computing (see https://www.gamecareerguide.com/feature ... games_.php for one such confirmation) but couldn't find any solid link connecting them with this game, yet.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:09 am

lurkio wrote:
Following on from the above, there are 5 locations at the start if you include Purgatory which I'm assuming are 1 to 5, so where are 6 to 9?
Looking at your map PJ-1978, it's not huge, surely one of us can make some progress on this? Ruminating last night whilst "offline" it seemed logical that the map might help to navigate around Union HQ, the corridor and the blue stone path? Just a thought mind, not tried it yet. Will play later once I've finished work for the day.

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:15 am

The game also says, on the title page, that it has over 60 locations.

Mapping further is difficult as those locations we've discussed before seem to be corrupted. There's no way that the author would've intended those locations to have every single exit; including up, down, in, and out.

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:29 am

PJ-1978 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:43 pm
I tried to do some online research today to see who might have authored the game, but didn't get much. But I have began to suspect it might be The Darling Brothers, Richard and David Darling. They were indeed paid as freelancers to write cover games for Model B Computing (see https://www.gamecareerguide.com/feature ... games_.php for one such confirmation) but couldn't find any solid link connecting them with this game, yet.
The Darling Brothers doing a text adventure seems unlikely. They *did* do the intro screen for that issue 8 tape, though, but individual programs were by various programmers... For example the Wendy Goes Walking game was by Peter Scott.

Edit: Actually, loading it up, the intro animation was by the Oliver Twins! :) Almost the same.

Edit2: Clicking on the link that you posted... it appears that you actually meant the Oliver Twins too! :)

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:29 am

8bitAG wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:29 am
Edit2: Clicking on the link that you posted... it appears that you actually meant the Oliver Twins too! :)
I did... I confused my twins... It was late!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:15 pm

Did a bit more hacking. If you LOAD the first BASIC program (filename Gnome) and then use Disc Doctor's *MZAP to change the 3 in *FX200,3 to a zero to get *FX200,0 then you can RUN the program and when the whole game has finished loading you can press Escape and then paste a line of BASIC at the command-prompt in BeebEm to get a list of room-descriptions and exits:

Code: Select all

>F.K%=1TO70:P.$(!(&767E+K%*2)):F.N%=0TO11:B%=?(&76F4+K%*12+N%):IFB%<>0P.d$(N%);" ";B%;",";:N.:P.''K%+1:N.EL.N.:P.''K%+1:N.
at home,sitting amongst the little red gnomes at the bottom of your garden.All the fisher-gnomes have lost their little rods.
North 2,

in a dirty corner of the garden.A little patch of tasty-looking mushrooms lies in sight.
South 1,

in fairyland.Thousands of little elves are dancing around your feet.The chief gnome says "IF YOU WILL HELP ME FIND THE MISSING RODS GO NORTH;OTHERWISE GO SOUTH"
North 4,South 5,

in a cheerful white place.Knobs,levers and buttons just long to be pushed!!

in a dark hellish purgatory.The sins of a thousand cruel years screech around your throbbing head.You should have helped him!!
North 6,

in a black airless maze;you will soon be dead.
North 6,South 6,East 7,West 6,

in a brown airless maze;you will soon be dead.
North 6,South 7,East 7,West 8,

in a grey airless maze;you will soon be dead.
North 8,South 7,East 9,West 8,

in a white maze with an air supply.
North 9,South 8,East 9,West 4,

at the entrance to a deserted mine,where years of black dust clog the air.Quite a health risk,if you linger too long.
South 14,East 15,Northeast 32,Down 11,

travelling along a quiet mine shaft lit by failing torches.
South 12,Up 10,

in a dark corridor leading to the face.Thousands of gnomish footprints show the well-trodden way.
North 11,South 13,

at the face.Untouched seams of wealth lie within reach.
North 12,

at the main entrance to the mine works.Angry pickets waving banners block the way to the 'DIRTY BLACKLEGS!'
North 10,

on a red stone path with a wooden fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.
West 10,Southeast 16,

on a grassy bank.A strongly attractive metal pole is pulling you towards it.
North 27,East 17,Southeast 18,Northwest 15,

in a shady grove where a stone idol with an emerald eye stands on a golden plinth.
West 16,

on a yellow stone path with a wooden fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.
Southeast 19,Northwest 16,

in a deep dark pit with sheer unclimbable walls.

walking along a damp path which leads to a small cottage.
Southeast 21,Northwest 19,

in the sparsely decorated kitchen-cum-dining-room of the swampclearer's cottage.
Northeast 22,Southwest 20,

wading knee-deep in a soggy marsh.Undercurrents of mud push your legs from under you.
North 22,South 22,East 22,West 22,Northeast 151,Southeast 172,Southwest 172,Northwest 172,Up 172,Down 172,In 172,Out 172,

wading knee-deep in a soggy marsh.Undercurrents of mud push your legs from under you.
North 172,South 172,East 172,West 172,Northeast 172,Southeast 172,Southwest 172,Northwest 172,Up 172,Down 172,In 172,Out 172,

on a sand dune in the middle of nowhere.Recent marks in the sand betray the fact  that many treasure-hunters have come in vain.
North 172,South 172,East 172,West 172,Northeast 172,Southeast 172,Southwest 172,Northwest 172,Up 172,Down 172,In 172,Out 172,

at the bottom of a vast oak reaching to the sky.
North 172,South 172,East 172,West 172,Northeast 172,Southeast 172,Southwest 172,Northwest 172,Up 32,Down 32,In 32,Out 32,

standing in the wise gnome's home;its owner was sitting in front of the fire,asleep.A notice declares 'ADVICE COSTS!!'
North 32,South 32,East 32,West 32,Northeast 32,Southeast 32,Southwest 32,Northwest 32,Up 32,Down 32,In 32,Out 32,

on a blue stone path with a wooden fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.
North 32,South 32,East 32,West 32,Northeast 32,Southeast 32,Southwest 32,Northwest 32,Up 32,Down 32,In 32,Out 32,

on a private small-holding.A small spade lies half buried in the earth.You may need help to retrieve it.

in a small field;lack of water and excess insolation have brought about almost total failure of the crop.

in the plush air-conditioned cabin of a large tractor.EEC grants have furnished it with artifacts more usual in stately homes.A small pet cat,pathetically emaciated,lies docile on a cushion.

on an orange stone path with a wooden fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.

at the entrance to a formidable brick building;a large sign boasts the motif 'UNION H.Q.'.The doorkeeper,a brute of a gnome,demands 'YOUR PASS BROTHER!!'
North 32,South 32,East 32,Northeast 32,Southeast 32,Southwest 32,Northwest 32,Up 32,Down 32,In 32,Out 32,

walking along a long,straight corridor.Portraits of fierce gnomes are looking down on you.

at the foot of a closed wooden door with the initials 'A.D.G.' inscribed on it.

standing by a large cluttered desk.Arthur Dunghill Gnome,the union leader,is standing by you-arms outstretched.He obviously expects a union donation.

in the dirty main street of Gnomesville.Everyone has left town to mourn the loss of their little rods.

in a little brown shop which makes little brown belts.

in a little red shop which makes miniature red leggings.

in a small green shop which sells little green tunics.

in a small orange shop which sells little orange hats.

in a tiny white shop which sells little false white beards.

in the main room of the Gnomesville 'UGLY PARLOUR'.Notices advertise rub-on warts and the like.

in the actual ugly clinic where thousands of beautifully ugly gnome posters litter the walls.'YOU TOO COULD LOOK LIKE THIS!!'

in a small arcade.Only one,electronically backwards,machine remains;though not in working order.

on a purple stone path with a wooden fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.

on a green stone path with a wooden fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.

on a pink stone path with a wooden fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.

in the splendid atrium of GNOME HALL;sparkling fountains add to the decor.

in LADY GNOME'S bedroom;the four-poster is draped with sumptuous ballgowns.

on the acres of patio outside GNOME HALL.

in the sparse study of GNOME HALL;obviously the Upper Class of Gnomesville do very little work.

on a grey stone path with a wooden fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.

on a black stone path with a wooTen fence on either side.Each knot seems to hold a watching eye.

at a coin operated gate which obviously leads into a forest.The gate is firmly barred.
North 32,East 32,West 32,Northeast 32,Southeast 32,Southwest 32,Northwest 32,Up 32,Down 32,In 32,Out 32,

in an overgrown pine forest.Your view is blocked by trees in all directions.

in an overgrown pine forest.Your view is blocked by trees in all directions.

in the Ogre's cave.The monster is asleep on a pile of rat dung in the corner.

in a dank black tunnel between caves.

in a Riddle Room.There is a runic inscription on the wall which you can just interpret.

in a glittering sapphire anteroom.Blue lights float around the room in a mist of incandescence.

in a Riddle Room.There is a runic inscription on the wall which you can just interpret.
North 32,South 32,East 32,Northeast 32,Southeast 32,Southwest 32,Northwest 32,Up 32,Down 32,In 32,Out 32,

in a shimmering sapphire cave.Blue light surrounds you and each slight noise echoes a million times.

$ range
>_

What this seems to show is that from room 22 onwards all the room-exit data is completely messed up, and that's confirmed if you save state in BeebEm and inspect the savestate file in a hexeditor, which reveals that memory locations from around &7800 and up seem to have been overwritten with garbage, largely consisting of long strings of either the byte &AC or the byte &20. (&20 is the ASCII code for the space character, but &20 is also 32 in decimal, and room 32 is the "Outside Union HQ" room.)

:!:

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:44 pm

I wonder if the program was corrupted when it was transferred across from the original tape? We spent ages banging on our heads against a brick wall in a similar manner with a C64 game recently; and it turned out that it was just down to a corrupted file.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:32 pm

I think we'll have to park this game for the moment. PJ-1978, would you be able to somehow get your tape version running on your original beeb?
If it's not possible for you to transfer the files to this forum then perhaps you could take a photo of the memory area where the data is corrupted and upload it. We can then adjust the disc copy here. Lurkio, could you find out please which block(s) of data from which file(s) have been corrupted?
Looks like I'll have to switch my attention to that pirate game.
EDIT - I did it myself, it's gnome2 that's the culprit - &7800 to &7AFF

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Presumably the files were the ones extracted from Lurkio's tape in this thread?
viewtopic.php?t=10460

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 pm

It looks like the copy of the game on StairwayToHell (STH) is corrupted too, as is the copy in Mick's "30th Anniversary Collection" (and hence also the copy on bbcmicro.co.uk). :(

8bitAG wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:48 pm
Presumably the files were the ones extracted from Lurkio's tape in this thread? viewtopic.php?t=10460
Er, of course I remember that thread perfectly and absolutely deny that I was about to go crawling about in a dusty attic looking for the very tape I'd already got someone to digitise three years ago..! :oops:

The copy of the game in that other thread is UNCORRUPTED! (You have to switch BeebEm to Master mode to run it though.)

EDIT: What probably happened is that, as @8bitAG suspected, whoever transferred the game from tape to disc -- thus creating the version that's hosted at STH -- made a mistake and accidentally corrupted some of the game data.

EDIT: Using a hexeditor on macOS, I've copied the exit-data from the file GNOME2 on the diskified image of my original tape and pasted it onto the disc-image from bbcmicro.co.uk to create what should be a working disc-image of the game. It should work in BeebEm in Model B mode:
Last edited by lurkio on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Lurkio wrote:
The copy of the game in that other thread is UNCORRUPTED! You have to switch BeebEm to Master mode to run it though.
It works! Hurrah! I didn't get very far on Sea Queen..

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:34 pm

It works? Hurrah and Hurrah again! I'll give it a run right now.
(I wouldn't be able to run my original... I've just got a B running but still collapsed monitor display and tape drive needs renovating, was going to literally offer to loan it to anyone else who wanted to try it!)

I'll give it a whirl now (though after a browse on the 'Sea Queen' code have got a few things to get tried as well. Busy evening.

Will update on Gnome Adventure. :D

EDIT: Can confirm, Lurkio, as far it is indeed uncorrupted - the room/directions error is gone. Will update... gonna bash away at finally completing this one tonight!! :D =D>

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:44 pm

PJ-1978 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:34 pm
Can confirm, Lurkio, as far it is indeed uncorrupted - the room/directions error is gone. Will update... gonna bash away at finally completing this one tonight!!
Great news! Good luck!

If you finish it, would you mind posting a complete walkthrough? (No rush!)

PJ-1978

Post by PJ-1978 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:51 am

Sorry folks, I literally fell asleep whilst playing this game late last night.
I'm VERY near the end, I believe, just stumped on one bit (involving the beauty parlour, if anyone else gets there) where I keep getting ejected from.

As I played past the previously bugged area, it did oddly bring back memories, of rooms I had reached before all those years ago. I can't remember if this is where I had poked around in the programme listing a bit (I know I certainly did that, but hazy if it was due to a glitch in the prog or if I was just stuck and tried to re-route things!!) or... and this brings back memories... if it was another case of a programme that would run on a B but not a B+.

I had a B+ originally (still got it), which infamously would not run some B games correctly or at all (see 'Castle Quest', 'Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror', 'Repton Infinity', 'Beach Head', and so many others!) and this does now vaguely bring back memories if the game not running correctly on there. When a while later by dad also bought home a B from his workplace to use at home(!), many of those games I was able to play on the B, and I have an odd feeling 'Gnome Adventure' may have been one of those glitchy ones. (We later installed a hand switchover on the B+, which would change it to/from a B+ to a B).
Soon as I finally get my B+ useable (as in, get CUB monitor running again!) I'll be able to check and clarify many of these things. (And also save my original compilation disks that I had with my B+ to run on Beebem.
lurkio wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:44 pm
If you finish it, would you mind posting a complete walkthrough? (No rush!)
Absolutely, that was my original aim anyway, just to say I've finally done it and share with others. (I also completed 'Lost Frog' at random pick last year, which has no written solution, and will write that up too). One of my goals for next few days/weeks is to write reviews for some of the classic adventures I've completed, for CASA. :D

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”