Absolute best adventures?

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
0xC0DE

Absolute best adventures?

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 pm

I remember playing some text adventure games on the Electron when I was a kid. I don't remember the names however.

What do you consider to be the absolute top 5 text adventure games on the Electron?
And on the beeb?

I'm ready to dive back in.
0xC0DE
:idea: Follow me on Twitter :idea: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

Lardo Boffin

Re: Absolute best adventures?

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 pm

Twin Kingdom Valley has to be number one for me. Probably because I managed to finish it with a perfect score BITD. 8)
Atom, issue 5
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 pm
Twin Kingdom Valley has to be number one for me. Probably because I managed to finish it with a perfect score BITD. 8)
Going straight to my list of "text adventures to play" :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
:idea: Follow me on Twitter :idea: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

trixster

Post by trixster » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:14 am

I think the Level 9 ones take some beating.

Lancelot is brilliant but requires a Master or beefed-up Beeb to really appreciate. Not sure if there was an Elec version.
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B | Master Turbo | ZX48K | NeoGeo
Atom | Amiga A4000 | A3000 | A1200 | A500 | PC Engine | Enterprise
Falcon | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar | X68000 | CD32

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:02 pm

For my inevitable answer, see my avatar pic and the last link in my signature.

:)

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Those Level 9 adventures look very interesting. As far as I can tell, not many of them are actually available on the Electron (which is my favorite Acorn machine :mrgreen:). But it also looks like many of them (Lancelot, for instance) are text only? Broad assumption here but it shouldn't be too hard to port to the Electron? I read on this forum that jgharston converted many text adventures to the Atom even. I might be willing to try to port some to the Electron myself.
0xC0DE

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm

0xC0DE wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:39 pm
Broad assumption here but it shouldn't be too hard to port to the Electron? I read on this forum that jgharston converted many text adventures to the Atom even. I might be willing to try to port some to the Electron myself.
The issue is going to be memory, as the Electron doesn't have Mode 7. Most of the adventures use pretty much available RAM (right up to &7BFF).

The options for gaining more memory are:
- use a Jafa Mode 7 adapter (very rare)
- use a Master RAM Board (MRB)
- use a AP5 plus a 6502 Second Processor

With any of these, they should actually just work, because they are legally written and only use a small number of standard MOS calls.

Incidentally, it was me that ported all the Level 9 adventures to the Atom, and this was only possible with an Atom with a 32KB RAM expansion card. You can read more about this here:
viewtopic.php?t=6483

They are all present in the Atom Software Archive:
Level9Atom.png
Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:59 pm

hoglet wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm
Incidentally, it was me that ported all the Level 9 adventures to the Atom
That was indeed the thread I read today. Don't know how my brain turned hoglet into jgharston, whoops! :oops:
0xC0DE

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:08 pm

My favourites (from memory) are:

Level 9: Lords of Time (easy / medium difficulty) and Colossal Adventure (medium difficulty)
Acornsoft: Kingdom of Hamil (medium) and Countdown to Doom (hard)
Robico: Escape from Enthar Seven (medium)
Magus: Village of Lost Souls (hard), What's Eeyores (hard), Locks of Luck (v. hard but brilliant, biased because I solved it)
Epic: Wheel of Fortune (easy to medium)
Bug-Byte: Twin Kingdom Valley (medium)

I'm not sure which if any will play on the Electron

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:11 pm

hoglet wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:39 pm
Broad assumption here but it shouldn't be too hard to port to the Electron? I read on this forum that jgharston converted many text adventures to the Atom even. I might be willing to try to port some to the Electron myself.
The issue is going to be memory, as the Electron doesn't have Mode 7. Most of the adventures use pretty much available RAM (right up to &7BFF).

The options for gaining more memory are:
- use a Jafa Mode 7 adapter (very rare)
- use a Master RAM Board (MRB)
- use a AP5 plus a 6502 Second Processor

With any of these, they should actually just work, because they are legally written and only use a small number of standard MOS calls.

Incidentally, it was me that ported all the Level 9 adventures to the Atom, and this was only possible with an Atom with a 32KB RAM expansion card. You can read more about this here:
viewtopic.php?t=6483

They are all present in the Atom Software Archive:
Level9Atom.png
Dave
After recent experience with the MRB I would think a better way to get memory, using assembly for coding and not basic, would be with AP5 and second processor.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and issue 6 with Master RAM Board, Acorn Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi 2nd Processor, GoSDC MBE with Elk2GoSDC and Cart2GoSDC.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:18 pm

BTW, I vote for Twin Kingdom Valley and The Lost Crystal http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eug/sols ... l_000.html

I remember a nice little adventure from Electron User, but I can’t remember what’s it called.

I always wanted the Hobbit on the Electron, but I think it was never released on this platform. One of the things on my long list of things I would like to work on.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and issue 6 with Master RAM Board, Acorn Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi 2nd Processor, GoSDC MBE with Elk2GoSDC and Cart2GoSDC.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:43 pm

rmbrowngr wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:11 pm
After recent experience with the MRB I would think a better way to get memory, using assembly for coding and not basic, would be with AP5 and second processor.
Indeed...

In case anyone is brave enough to try, I've just done a bit more digging.

The Level 9 adventures use just the following OS calls:
- OSWRCH
- OSRDCH
- OSWORD0
- OSBYTE
- OSFILE

Of these, only OSWORD0 and OSFILE use memory parameter blocks that might be problematic with a MRB, depending on where the block is located.

The OSWORD0 block is located at &0037 in all cases, so won't be a problem.

The OSFILE block is less consistent:
- Colossal Adventure uses &0037
- Adventure Quest uses &0037
- Dungeon Adventure uses &0037
- Snowball uses &0037
- Return to Eden uses &7AC0
- Worm in Paradise uses &1B12
- Lords of Time uses &0037
- Red Moon uses &766C
- The Price of Magik uses &1B12

So the ones in bold above will be problematic with the MRB. Specifically, SAVE and RESTORE would fail in those two cases, as the shadow screen memory would get used. But the rest should just work.

I have a MRB, so I might give this a try.

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk » Sat May 18, 2019 10:18 pm

For me I'd say on the Electron....
Twin Kingdom Valley
The Lost Crystal
Wheel of Fortune
Village of Lost Souls
Rick Hanson (trilogy) :wink:

You might like my Darkness of Raven Wood (although its not the absolute best adventure on Electron for sure) :D

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Sat May 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try all of them.
0xC0DE

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Sun May 26, 2019 9:02 am

In terms of homegrown Quilled games, I believe the Larry Horsfield games such as Magnetic Moon were quite well thought of. I'm more familiar with the later (larger) PAWed Spectrum conversions.

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:56 am

There was also an appreciation thread recently for the one-room adventure To Hell In A Hamper.

colinhoad

Post by colinhoad » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Dethmunk wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:18 pm
You might like my Darkness of Raven Wood (although its not the absolute best adventure on Electron for sure) :D
I have just written a review for the Darkness of Raven Wood on Retro Video Gamer, you can read it here: http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/darkne ... aven-wood/

Brilliant game!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:20 pm

colinhoad wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:43 pm
I have just written a review for the Darkness of Raven Wood on Retro Video Gamer, you can read it here: http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/darkne ... aven-wood/ Brilliant game!
Nice review! This must be my cue to mention that the graphics were pre-compressed on a modern machine using a program written in C by tricky, and they were then decompressed on the Beeb using machine code again written by tricky:
:idea:

colinhoad

Post by colinhoad » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:31 pm

lurkio wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:20 pm
Nice review! This must be my cue to mention that the graphics were pre-compressed on a modern machine using a program written in C by tricky, and they were then decompressed on the Beeb using machine code again written by tricky
Ah, I was wondering if there'd been some compression used, partly because I noticed each room you move into causes disk I/O. Not to mention the graphics are so impressive that it's amazing to think they could all fit within the resource constraints both of memory and disk! Very clever.

julie_m

Post by julie_m » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:18 am

If you only have to uncompress data when the app is running, it makes sense to optimise for uncompression speed even if that slows down the compression; after all, you only have to do the latter once.