The Wizards Challenge by Ian Muriss (BBC Micro - Program Power)

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
RobertoCanessa

The Wizards Challenge by Ian Muriss (BBC Micro - Program Power)

Post by RobertoCanessa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:52 am

Greetings!

I'm currently revisiting a game from my youth: The Wizards Challenge (made in 1983).

Basically, after various house moves, I've lost my maps.

From what I can gather, there is very little information on it, unlike games such as Twin Kingdom Valley.

Does anybody have anything on the game - walk through, maps etc?

Or, does anybody fancy the challenge of completing the game?

The furthest I got was getting past the quarry after getting the nurse to bandage my finger. However, I was attacked by a mutant vampire during this moment.

Hope everybody who reads this message is well and happy.

RobertoCanessa

lurkio

Re: The Wizards Challenge by Ian Muriss (BBC Micro - Program Power)

Post by lurkio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:03 pm

I haven't played the game, but here's the one and only meaningful reference to it that I could find:
:idea:

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Many thanks, Lurkio, and Up Pompeii!

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I've just checked on CASA and unfortunately, there are no maps, hints or solutions on there.
I might just put Oxbridge to one side for a few days and give it a go.
Incidentally, Ian Muriss also wrote Robico's adventure with graphics, The Hunt - Search for Shauna.

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:42 pm

You're a good egg, sir!

I will begin my map making anew this afternoon before I begin work later.

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 pm

lurkio wrote:I haven't played the game, but here's the one and only meaningful reference to it that I could find:
Lurkio, on the very same double page, a person called 'Kay Chappell' is thanked for sending in a full solution to Wizard's Challenge. Is there a way that you could look for that? I tried but my limited familiarity with the link seems to render my attempts to search previous volumes futile...

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:34 pm

RobertoCanessa wrote:
lurkio wrote:I haven't played the game, but here's the one and only meaningful reference to it that I could find:
Lurkio, on the very same double page, a person called 'Kay Chappell' is thanked for sending in a full solution to Wizard's Challenge. Is there a way that you could look for that? I tried but my limited familiarity with the link seems to render my attempts to search previous volumes futile...
I tried! Couldn't find it. :(

I don't think The Mad Hatter published full solutions very often. But he accepted them if they were sent in and consulted them when answering readers' queries in his "helpline" section.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 pm

I've found the following mentions for Wizard's Challenge in The Micro User Mad Hatter's column:
Nov-87
Jan-88
Mar-88
Jul-88
Oct-89
Jan-91
Seems like quite a popular game. Obviously I haven't peeked at the clues, I'm playing it properly (at least until I get stuck). Note that it's written in BASIC (delete line 1 before listing).

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm

lurkio wrote:
RobertoCanessa wrote:
I tried! Couldn't find it. :(

I don't think The Mad Hatter published full solutions very often. But he accepted them if they were sent in and consulted them when answering readers' queries in his "helpline" section.

Many thanks for trying!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:14 pm

fuzzel wrote:I've found the following mentions for Wizard's Challenge in The Micro User Mad Hatter's column:
Nov-87
Jan-88
Mar-88
Jul-88
Oct-89
Jan-91
How did you come up with that list so quickly? The text of all those columns isn't searchable anywhere, as far as I know!

:?:

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Not a bad game this. I've solved the woods maze and found the quarry and have a bleeding finger which I presume will soon prove fatal.
Obviously the nurse will help but I can't find her ! Still, for a BASIC program the response time is excellent and I'm making decent progress.
My sort of game. You can read my solution on CASA later this evening !!!
Any idea how many locations this game has ? For an early Micropower one I'm guessing around 80.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi Lurkio, I'm a fast reader !

No, really, I opened Adobe Reader, did an advanced search through my beeb magazines folder and it found them within a few minutes.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:19 pm

fuzzel wrote:I opened Adobe Reader, did an advanced search through my beeb magazines folder and it found them within a few minutes.
Ah, my mistake -- some or all of the MU PDFs are searchable. I must have just assumed they weren't, for some reason!

#-o
Last edited by lurkio on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Great fun this game. I've now finally found the nurse and been cured. So time to pack up for the evening.
I'm carrying quite a lot of stuff around though, I hope there's no limit to the number of objects you can carrying (helps a lot with mazes..)

Could we move this thread to "Miscellaneous\Adventures" by the way ?

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:39 am

Edited in light of feedback.
Last edited by RobertoCanessa on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:30 am

Hi Roberto, glad to see you're making good progress, looks like I've got some catching up to do today.
Just thought I'd mention though that you should avoid posting "spoilers" in case there are other people out there
like myself who've decided to give the game a go and want to solve the game for themselves.
I tend to use the private messages area if I'm collaborating with someone to solve a game.
By the way, are you playing on an original BBC or on an emulator ?

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am

Apologies!

I'll edit the post now.

I'm playing it on an emulator. Like the Ark in the Indiana Jones film, I lost my original BBC many, many moons ago and all my games too...

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

I think I've completed the school section and am now ready to tackle the underground maze.
The bully had me puzzled for a bit, I bet one of the letters to the Micro User (which I haven't read) was about the bully.
One small tip for people is that there are a few locations where you think given the brief room description there's nothing doing
there. But there is !
My map is also looking good but I'll have to turn over the (a4) page for the underground maze and the latter stages. Those early adventure
writers loved their mazes didn't they ? Fortunately, I have loads of objects now for mapping it...

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks to Lurkio for the cassette inlay (from MOCAGH) which also shows the game instructions. I recognise the wood and the coins from
the picture but I've yet to find the pyramids, train and wizard. Lots to look forward to then.
I reckon I've covered about a third of the hundred locations so its bigger than I thought. I've also only got a paltry two of the ten treasures.

Ethereal

Post by Ethereal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:04 pm

fuzzel wrote:I think I've completed the school section and am now ready to tackle the underground maze.
The bully had me puzzled for a bit, I bet one of the letters to the Micro User (which I haven't read) was about the bully.
One small tip for people is that there are a few locations where you think given the brief room description there's nothing doing
there. But there is !
My map is also looking good but I'll have to turn over the (a4) page for the underground maze and the latter stages. Those early adventure
writers loved their mazes didn't they ? Fortunately, I have loads of objects now for mapping it...
Hi! I was brought here by Robert, and I was wondering how you got past the bully? I've tried everything but he wont accept anything. Im also not sure about the underground maze you speak of. Thanks!

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm trying to send you a private message now, Ethereal.

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:21 pm

I don't think I've been a member here long enough to have private messaging privileges yet so I responded to you on the thread I first made contact with you on Reddit.

I can't post details here on the thread as they are spoilers for anybody who wants to complete the game themselves unassisted.

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm

For the record, fuzzel, Whizzer and Chips was a quality comic, as was Buster!

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:20 pm

I've just made it to the Castle of Death !

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Incredible! You've achieved more in 24 hours than I've done in over 30 years! Kudos!

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 pm

The yobo / yobbo caused me a lot of trouble
but I eventually sussed it out. Also the very
narrow passage. Having a well earned break now

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:28 pm

Anyone making any progress on Wizard's Challenge today ?
I've just solved a couple of puzzles in the castle this morning and am now in a forest maze (how many mazes does this game have?)
Incidentally Roberto, sometimes you can have a mental block preventing you from solving a puzzle in a game.
I recently played It's Magic by Central Computing (excellent adventure by the way, up there with Topologika and Level 9's best in my opinion)
and got to the final puzzle in Part 1 and was stuck for about 3 months. I asked Iamaran for help and he cracked it in half an hour !
I was also playing Locks of Luck by Magus (another great game, definitely the hardest I've ever played) and got stuck near the start (it doesn't ease you in gently that one), after a week or so I gave up then about a year later had another go and made progress within a couple of hours. So somehow you need a fresh perspective to make progress.

RobertoCanessa

Post by RobertoCanessa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:00 pm

I still can't get past the narrow passage and I died trying to do so! Still need to work out what to do at the lake and then I won't be far behind you (I think!!!!)

I had a very busy family day today but I'm aiming to get back on the saddle tomorrow evening after work.