Sphinx Adventure

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
MartinH

Re: Sphinx Adventure

Post by MartinH »

I remember playing this when I was 5 or 6 years old! I say remember, what I actually remember is wandering about a bit, encountering a pirate who took your stuff and if you attempted to hit him he'd kill you.

Good times!
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I remember Sphinx Adventure, I bought it back then. I'm sure folk would like it now. If I had a Beeb I would have another go! :-) :D
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

You can play Sphinx Adventure in your web browser here:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1636

:idea:
PMF

Post by PMF »

I wish I still had the original source code

Not the published “crunched” code where all the long variable names have been stripped out.

Someone asked me how I got the vdu 6 and 21s into the data lines to try to hide them ...

I think this was done by a post-processor programme that poked them in exchange for ^ and | chars.

PMF
Paul Fellows
Head of Languages, Acornsoft, 1983-85
Microsystems Software Manager, Acorn 85-88
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Are there any known bugs in Sphinx Adventure?

I ask because we recently received a bug report via bbcmicro.co.uk -- although later the user seemed to retract the report, so I'm not wholly convinced that the bug is real...
A user of bbcmicro.co.uk wrote:I have been playing Sphinx adventure on here for the first time since we got it with our Electron in the 80's BUT I'm getting the same bad program error every time I get to a certain bit of the game - is there anything that can be done to fix as I would love to finish this with my Dad - we never could complete it in the 80's!! Error was bad program (on line 165 or 195) always on the second time I try to pass the Goblins in the Hall of the Mountain King

[...]

I tried the game again and wrote down my moves so I could let you know where the bad program error was occurring but this time I didn’t get the error!! I tried it twice and it worked fine and I was able to finish it
:?:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

PMF wrote:
Someone asked me how I got the vdu 6 and 21s into the data lines to try to hide them ...

I think this was done by a post-processor programme that poked them in exchange for ^ and | chars.
Robert O'Leary suggested the very same technique in the February 1984 Acorn User:
ROL Secret Symbols AU Feb84.jpg
That's actually a very good issue for those interested in text adventures. There are articles in it by Mike Austin and Peter Killworth amongst others.
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Beware the version of Sphinx Adventure downloadable on the BBC Micro Games Archive. I have been playing it on BeebEm v4.15 and all has gone swimmingly until I reached the Hall Of The Mountain King. From here the game randomly crashes with Argument at line 195 Bad Program and closes the game down. I can reload and it will be ok for a few more moves / actions but this message soon reappears. I don't think it is a corrupt save file as it does it every time at that point even after restarting.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Canalboy wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:05 pm
Beware the version of Sphinx Adventure downloadable on the BBC Micro Games Archive. I have been playing it on BeebEm v4.15 and all has gone swimmingly until I reached the Hall Of The Mountain King. From here the game randomly crashes with Argument at line 195 Bad Program and closes the game down. I can reload and it will be ok for a few more moves / actions but this message soon reappears. I don't think it is a corrupt save file as it does it every time at that point even after restarting.
Could you please post an exact list of the moves that you have to make to get to that error? (I.e. the exact sequence of commands that you have to type into the game?)

A BeebEm savestate from just before the appearance of the error and another savestate from just after the error would also be helpful.

:?:
leenew

Post by leenew »

This has piqued my interest :wink:
I didn't know there were different versions of Sphinx adventure.
STH has a uef of v1.0
Does anyone have a copy of v2.0? is it archived anywhere?
What are the differences?
Which version of the game was the disc version based on?

Check under your beds!
If you have an original tape copy of Sphinx adventure, then there usually is a little file right after the main game file on the tape, which gives the version number.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew AJH mentions v1 and v2 differences here: viewtopic.php?p=279404#p279404
Lee.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Can anyone find any bugs in the version of Sphinx Adventure on bbcmicro.co.uk
http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1636
Recently we have had 2 reports of it crashing.
The game was taken from BillC's original disc and BillC is one of our "experts" so unless there was some devious protection, it should be a good transfer.

BillC - is it worth taking another look at your SSD transfer?

Thanks,

Lee.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”