Unfinished Text Adventures

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Re: Unfinished Text Adventures

Post by fuzzel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:43 am

I'm having a break from Cops to play Lost City by Superior, a nifty little Mode 7 text adventure with some Mode 7 graphics thrown in.
However, I'm now stuck in the jungle and can't get past the rhinos. Has anyone played this and can give me a clue ?

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Just solved it myself, seems to happen quite a lot that.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 pm

I've just finished Lost City and will post the solution to CASA. That's all the Superior Software adventures with solutions on CASA now.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:29 pm

I'm having my first dabble with Potter Programs' adventures which I guess were written primarily for the Acorn Electron as they are played in a none teletext mode. Not ideal but anyway.. The one I'm playing is The Twin Orbs of Aalinor, which I'm happy to report is a little gem of a game albeit with more than the odd spelling mistake, which doesn't really spoil the enjoyment. It's a tricky little customer, the room descriptions are definitely above par and despite there not appearing to be a huge number of objects and puzzles in the 80 odd locations I've visited so far, it's managed to keep my interest high for the last week or so I've been playing. I'm currently stuck trying to get through either a trapdoor (to who knows where) or up into a loft despite possessing the surely requisite ladder for one of them. Anyway, does anyone have cassette inlays, magazine adverts, reviews (except Micro User Jan-87 and Electron User Dec-86 - both identical and by Pendragon - I wonder if he got paid twice?) etc to add to my enjoyment ?
Last edited by fuzzel on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Re: The Twin Orbs of Aalinor: Unfortunately, there's a downside to playing unsolved text adventures. Could someone please help me to either get into the loft in the Granary or to get through the trapdoor on the wooden platform in the Castle ? As I mentioned earlier I have a (mended) ladder but it's no bleeding use ! Having gone to the trouble of having it fixed, surely it's not a red herring ?

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:39 am

I've now made some decent progress on this game and probably taken it as far as I can until I can get into the loft in the Granary or get through the trapdoor on the wooden platform in the Castle. I've tried using the ladder (broken and fixed) all to no avail. I'm now considering the possibility that the game is bugged ! As it's an Electron game and therefore tape-based is it possible that running it on a BBC through the disc drive could cause problems ?
If I wanted to play the Electron version to check could someone recommend the best Electron emulator please ? Ideally it would need a save state facility.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:35 am

I've now downloaded the Electron tape version of the game and loaded that up to play on Beebem. Unfortunately, that hasn't helped. The only clues I have about the wooden platform and the trapdoor is that when you throw most objects in this location they get thrown up through the trapdoor - "It landed in the room above". The exceptions are the ladder, cloak and bottle. Also when you Jump, the message is "I cannot reach". I shall keep persevering today but from tomorrow I'll have to start something new and try again at a later date when my inspiration and sanity have been restored to normal.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed May 02, 2018 9:44 am

Thought I'd start Stranded on Iloofrax by Potter to have a break from Twin Orbs of Aalinor but I've finished it already !
There must have been approximately 45 locations and 15 or so objects, a gentle stroll compared to Twin Orbs.
I'll type up the solution and upload to CASA later on.
There are a few other Potter games not yet solved so I'll tackle another one shortly.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri May 04, 2018 7:37 am

Time to start Street Patroller Remix by Simon Maren and Central Computing. If It's Magic ! is anything to go by this should be a good one.
It was also released after It's Magic so hopes are now even higher ! I wonder if Simon also wrote the original Street Patroller or whether he
took inspiration from it to write his own version ?

leenew

Post by leenew » Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am

Wow! Keep going Fuzzel, you are a solving machine :D

Lee.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 am

It's great fun Lee ! Apart from the reviews of It's Magic in The Micro User and Electron User does anyone have any game documentation or adverts for any of the Central Computing games ? I notice there are some ads on the Street Patroller Remix disc for their other games, quite a polished disc that one, a shame they probably didn't get the sales they were hoping for given their releases were a bit on the late side for the beeb (I must admit I'd never heard of them).

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri May 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Quite a find this one (Street Patroller Remix). This guy Simon Maren likes to incorporate modern towns in his adventures doesn't he? For a minute I thought I was back in It's Magic. It has a few humorous nods to the first game, see below:
SPR.jpg

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Mon May 07, 2018 10:21 am

I've now been playing SPR for a few days. Thanks to Iamaran for the cassette inlays by the way. Thanks also to Barbara Gibb for the review in the June 1990 issue of the Micro User which contains some interesting background to the game and some useful tips on handling the clock within the game.
There are only around 100 locations all of which have decent text descriptions and display very quickly. However, it incorporates some of my adventuring bete-noires which makes for a frustrating time. One of these is "interactive" characters who you must find a way of doing your bidding. The second is a clock operating within the game (you have a number of days to solve the case and prove your innocence), the main problem with this is that certain events occur at certain times on certain days and it's all to easy to miss them (I remember being hopelessly stuck in Suspect by Infocom all because I failed to be standing near the fireplace at 9.30 or so in the morning when a vital piece of paper was thrown into the fireplace). However, there's a cheat facility on one side of the disc so I think I'll dip into this at various points if I'm completely stumped.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Wow ! It's now exactly six months since I last played Street Patroller 2 having got a bit bogged down just as the weather started to improve so spent more of my free time outdoors. I thought I'd ease myself back into it by having a go at the original Street Patroller. I managed to get through the introductory section and am now wandering around the game proper. The game takes place across the mainland and an island with approximately 60 locations in each found so far and there are various means of transport to navigate between them (bus, rail, airline, swimming). Two sticking points for me are you have a limited budget and there are more objects to purchase than you can afford so you run the risk of buying the wrong items and then having to go back to near the start at some point if you do. Also you have to sleep at regular intervals in the right locations or you end up paying for a hospital visit further draining the cash reserves. Despite this it's definitely been worth persevering with so far.

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:44 pm

Simon Maren used to write in to the Adventure Probe fanzine every so often (which later went on to be edited by Barbara Gibb, who was a BBC adventure player and had covered Simon's games). Simon's letter announcing his retirement for writing adventure games sparked quite a long, furious debate between the readership over the following months, with some people saying that adventure writing should just be a hobby and others saying he was perfectly entitled to pack it in if he didn't feel like he was getting fair financial compensation for his time and effort. One of the many long-running sagas on what were always a very lively letters page.
simon-towel.PNG

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 pm

After several months of letters flying back and forth between other people in the debate, Simon returned to try and clarify his original thoughts and set a context for his letter...
simon1.PNG
simon2.PNG
simon3.PNG

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Interesting stuff 8bitAG ! I'd never heard of Adventure Probe magazine and certainly didn't realise that Barbara Gibb (who was once a regular on this website) actually edited it for a time (I wonder if she's found another obsession to fill her time these days). I found a list of back issues on the World of Spectrum website but after downloading a few it appears I've reached my limit and can have no more (until when I can't say). Does anyone know of any alternative sites from where I can download this magazine ?

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:40 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm
I found a list of back issues on the World of Spectrum website but after downloading a few it appears I've reached my limit and can have no more (until when I can't say). Does anyone know of any alternative sites from where I can download this magazine ?
I'll sort you something out tomorrow. ;)

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Can't PM you, as I'm too new to the forum, but here's a temporary link to all the issues of Adventure Probe that I've obtained from various sources, including my own personal collection: http://8bitag.com/info/probe.html There are more BBC related stuff in the earlier issues in the archive as, it's popularity as an adventuring machine was overtaken by the homebrew Spectrum & Amstrad scenes.

Red Herring, was another great Adventure fanzine from back in the day. Not a lot of BBC stuff in it at that time but well worth checking out... Mocagh has a readily accessible archive of that... https://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?get ... redherring

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:23 pm

Thanks for the Adventure Probe issues 8bitAG. There are a few missing so I'll patrol the web and see if I can find some of the missing ones. Having read and reread the Alice, The Mad Hatter, Merlin and Pendragon columns in the Micro User and Electron User I'm looking forward to reading what other reviewers have to say about the Beeb adventure scene. From what you say the letters pages sound quite tasty ! I'm still working my work through Street Patroller (the original) and I've now overcome the problem of which objects to buy at the beginning (one which I though was essential I later realised I didn't actually need). I'm now stuck at the hut where a guard shoots me (I'm not expecting any help with this) but I've found a beggar who may be able to help if I could only find something he wants. I reckon he either needs a roof over his head, a brown bag containing something to take the blues away or some tasty tucker. Having said that I'm a policeman so maybe I can arrest him, throw him the in the interview room I've found and torture the poor beggar until he gives me what he's got.

8bitAG

Post by 8bitAG » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:09 pm

fuzzel wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:23 pm
Thanks for the Adventure Probe issues 8bitAG. There are a few missing so I'll patrol the web and see if I can find some of the missing ones.
There are a lot of missing ones... You're unlikely to find them elsewhere on the web, but I'd certainly be interested if you do.

I believe an almost complete archive of back issues was passed on to an 'archivist' at one point... but they've sadly never been scanned.

You won't find an awful lot about the Beeb in them... mostly the earlier issues, but as mentioned to and linked to in the ALPS thread (in the archive section of this forum), Geoff Lynas always flew the flag for Acorn and had various columns over the years.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:35 pm

This Street Patroller (original) is proving a bit of a handful. Not only am I having to contend with having to find a place to rest when I get tired
but there's a section of the way where you have to carry exactly the right ten objects to complete that section. I keep getting somewhere then having to reload an old save state file, drop something, pick up something else and try again. A good tip is that it's always worth compiling a walkthrough as you go so if you have to go back to a previous save game and do something different it's a fairly painless process of retyping the walkthrough to go forward again to where you were. I've now found a scrapyard using a map which I'm hoping will be pretty much the endgame.