Game requests to be added to Beebdroid for Android

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
kenton

Game requests to be added to Beebdroid for Android

Post by kenton » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi y'all. Having a bit of downtime, I'm going through the email requests for games to be added to Beebdroid for Android. The master list of games is incidentally hosted here on STH. If there's anything you want, please provide the link to the disk image and the cover art, cheers!

kenton

Re: Game requests to be added to Beebdroid for Android

Post by kenton » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:55 pm

I've (*) just added Football Manager and Twin Kingdom Valley, they didn't require an update to the app. Any others, shout :-)

(*) or rather, Dave Moore helpfully uploaded the updated available files list to stairwaytohell so the app can see it.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:29 am

Hi. What games does Beebdroid come pre-loaded with?

Is there a list of games that can be loaded into Beebdroid manually? Or is that list effectively "any SSD disc image on STH"? (If not, then although I don't currently have an Android device to try Beebdroid on, can I still request Acid Drops for my future self, who might?! It's on STH. No idea if it'll be playable in Beebdroid, but it's worth a try coz it's a good one.)

Cheers!

kenton

Post by kenton » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:33 am

It can basically load anything from STH, but the list of available games is hardcoded on STH. It's about 30 at the moment. Then the emulator needs to map keys. We're hoping to improve this process soon.

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:08 pm

First, let me apologise for being a little selfish and probably sounding ungrateful, for what is a really great piece of work by you (and your team?).

I would like my Carnival, AstroBlaster and Phoenix (when finished). I have tried all of them on the "tweaked" version of Beebdroid with the wireframe keys and local disk access, but both AstroBlaster and Phoenix hit a bug in the old version of B-Em that is in Beebdroid.

I did see somewhere a fix in the list for the pc version that looked like it would fix them, so I guess if local .ssd access gets added, I would most like to see the fixes for the emulation and possibly the wire frame keys or any other tweaks to speed up rendering and widen the possible target audience.

I did try to do the work myself, having written a bbc emulator (ran chuckie egg) in java around 2000 and spent 13 years in games, but after one successful connection to my phone, I couldn't reconnect nor use the emulator, which meant no testing, so I gave up!

kenton

Post by kenton » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Not aware of this emulator bug. Can you point me to a reference somewhere? Ideally the code checkin.

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 pm

I did look before posting and have again now, but can't find the post.
Try running Phoenix or AstroBlaster and compare with B-Em or the JS emulator.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:42 pm

firstly, great little proggy for my mobile phone/s and various tablets 8)
Great work Kenton and crew/s =D> =D> =D>

In the link below in the quote is a recent Best Games thread, and you have already covered most of them already!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8259#p87600

Some games maybe to complex due to keys used, ie Revs / Exile :? and Eagle's Empire still crashes on all emulators so far, but fine on most of my actual physical machines.
ImageImageImage

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:32 am

Not so much a request for a new game but to fix a bug with Labyrinth that is already one of the user selectable games. The problem I have is that I can't fire, which is useful in the higher levels.

Also, I preferred the separate keys (I could press left and right with my left hand, up and down with right hand) instead of the new style d-pad control (which is all the left hand). Could an option be added to change between these styles?

Well, after a bit of thinking, here are a few possible contenders to be added (not sure if they're already included so ignore any that are already there):

Pole Position
Bonecruncher
Orlond's Meanies (was on Disk User 10)
System Wadgebury (was on one of the Disk User disks) - the editor would be fun to play with (back in the day I wrote quite a few levels for this game)
Flip (it was a matching pairs type of game with loads of music in it)
Dogfight, although two player mode might be a bit awkward to play)
Barrage (two armies fighting each other)

Thanks.
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

tricky

Post by tricky » Sun May 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Kenton, sorry it has taken me so long to find this post, when it was linked to on StarDot all along:
Fixed a bug in SBC Overflow Flag calculation in the ARM code
https://github.com/hoglet67/Optima/comm ... 16791c6384
I assume it was our very own hoglet.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun May 10, 2015 6:09 pm

:D :D :D