jsbeeb - a Javascript emulator

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
lurkio

Re: jsbeeb - a Javascript emulator

Post by lurkio » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Matt Godbolt wrote:I think disc drive noises should be a user setting (saved and persisted per user, rather than as part of the URL) - do you think?
Well, I think that for bbcmicro.co.uk, a URL parameter to control disc-drive noise would be really good to have because currently all games that are launched in JSBeeb from bbcmicro.co.uk load "instantly" (i.e. very quickly), which I think is what today's attention-poor users (including me!) probably expect!

I'm not sure how such a drive-noise URL param would co-exist with a persistent user-cookie setting type thing.

:?:

Matt Godbolt

Post by Matt Godbolt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:42 pm

I'll have a think: you're right. &ddnoise=on or &ddnoise=off, and if not specified, then user's default, I guess :) Then bbcmicro can add &ddnoise=off always.

I sped up the disc loading a little (some dumb typos didn't help). While instrumenting the Zen disc, it's amazing how often it seeks back to track 0 to re-read the catalog. Either I've bust the head tracking code (quite possible), or else it really was that slow to access stuff... As I recall DFS caches the catalog until the disc motor spins down, so it's pretty much forced to re-read the catalog all the time. Most of the data files for Zen are stored in tracks 50+ which means every time it tries to load a message (e.g. "the door is locked" at the beginning) it seeks back to track 0, reads the catalog, then seeks to track 50, reads a sector...hence the two long seeks you hear. Was it really that bad, back in the day? :)

I'll work on some config then push this lot up!

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 pm

does not do that on Beeb em if you put the disk sound on, only seeks to track 0 a couple of times.

Matt Godbolt

Post by Matt Godbolt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks vanekp; I'll have to see what I'm doing wrong! Cheers, Matt