Compiling B-em 2.1+ for Linux

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
Samwise
Site Admin

Compiling B-em 2.1+ for Linux

Post by Samwise »

OK,

Here's some pointers for anyone wanting to try compiling the latest version of B-em. Basically, B-em 2.1 has introduced a dependency on AllegroGL, an add-on which can either be compiled separately or it is included with the mainstream Allegro package, from v4.4. Unfortunately, many distributions have yet to include Allegro 4.4 in their repositories. The simplest option is, therefore, to compile and install your own local copy of Allegro 4.4 before compiling B-em.

The general procedure to be followed whatever your chosen distro is:
  • Install your distribution's development tools package, including automake
  • Install the CMake package (required for compiling Allegro), if it is not installed by default by your distro
  • Install B-em's development dependencies from your distribution's repositories:
    - Allegro
    - OpenAL
    - ALut
    - Zlib
    - LibGLU
    - LibGL
  • Assuming the Allegro package(s) you have installed is only 4.2, remove them again (but leaving the packages installed by Allegro as dependencies)
  • Download, compile and, as root, install the latest version of Allegro 4.4 to /usr/local
  • As a regular user, download and compile the latest version of B-em (currently 2.1a) against the local copy of Allegro 4.4
This, of course, can be easier said than done, depending on your distribution.

Let's go through two specific distributions as examples ...

Debian Testing

(as root)

Code: Select all

# aptitude -y install build-essential automake
# aptitude -y install cmake
# aptitude -y install liballegro-dev libopenal-dev libalut-dev zlib1g-dev automake libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev
# aptitude -y purge liballegro4.2 liballegro4.2-dev
# aptitude -y install libxpm-dev libxxf86vm-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev
The last line installs some further required packages which may not be included in Debian by default.

(as regular user)

# cd <directory where Allegro 4.4 has been downloaded>
# tar xzvf ./allegro-4.4.1.1.tar.gz
# cd allegro-4.4.1.1
# mkdir Build
# cd Build
# cmake -DWANT_LINUX_CONSOLE=on ..
# make
(as root)

# make install
(as regular user)

# cd <directory where B-em 2.1 has been downloaded and is to be installed into>
# tar xzvf ./B-emV2.1aLinux.tar.gz
# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
# ./configure
# make
From now on, to run B-em, go to a console/terminal and type:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
cd <B-em directory>
./b-em

Fedora

(as root)

# yum -y groupinstall "Development Tools"
# yum -y install cmake
# yum -y install allegro-devel openal-soft-devel freealut-devel zlib-devel mesa-libGLU-devel mesa-libGL-devel
# yum -y remove allegro allegro-devel
(as regular user)

# cd <directory where Allegro 4.4 has been downloaded>
# tar xzvf ./allegro-4.4.1.1.tar.gz

The big endian test called by Allegro's build process seems to fail on Fedora.  To set the variable manually, edit allegro-4.4.1.1/CMakeLists.txt with your preferred editor.  Comment out 127 and add the new line below:
# test_big_endian(ALLEGRO_BIG_ENDIAN)
set(ALLEGRO_BIG_ENDIAN FALSE)

# cd allegro-4.4.1.1
# mkdir Build
# cd Build
# cmake -DWANT_LINUX_CONSOLE=on ..
# env LDFLAGS="-ldl" make
(as root)

# make install
(as regular user)

# cd <directory where B-em 2.1 has been downloaded and is to be installed into>
# tar xzvf ./B-emV2.1aLinux.tar.gz
# env LDFLAGS="-lX11 -ldl -lXcursor -lXxf86vm" ./configure
# make
From now on, to run B-em, go to a console/terminal and type:

# cd <B-em directory>
# ./b-em
*phew* ... and hopefully that gives you some pointers on how to go about the installation. The specifics will change depending on your distribution. If you run into problems, your distro will probably have a community of it's own that may be best placed to help you work out the specifics for getting it working with that particular system.

If you spot any errors or if you have instructions for another distribution to contribute, do feel free to reply below ...

Sam.
B-em 2.1a running on Fedora 14
B-em 2.1a running on Fedora 14
b-emfedora14.png (134.2 KiB) Viewed 6562 times
Kecske Bak

Re: Compiling B-em 2.1+ for Linux

Post by Kecske Bak »

Many thanks for your help so far Samwise - I feel a lot less stupid about not being able to get this library to build, as it's not obvious.

I've tried this on a clean install of Fedora 14 (i686). It falls over building allegro at 90%:

The line that makes it fall over:

env LDFLAGS="-ldl" make
Results in:

Linking C executable skater_agl
/usr/bin/ld: ../../lib/liballeg.so.4.4.1: undefined reference to symbol 'dlopen@@GLIBC_2.1'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'dlopen@@GLIBC_2.1' is defined in DSO /lib/libdl.so.2 so try adding it to the linker command line
/lib/libdl.so.2: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [demos/skater/skater_agl] Error 1
make[1]: *** [demos/skater/CMakeFiles/skater_agl.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
This seems to be the problem:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Understa ... LinkChange
Mandriva have also done this.

EDIT: Solved it -ldl from the command line doesn't work on a clean install of Fedora 14. You need to change CMakeLists.txt to add it in instead:

set(WFLAGS "-W -Wall -Wno-unused-parameter -ldl")
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Hmm ... the LDFLAGS var was meant to fix that problem. It worked for me.

OK, from the Build directory try:

# export LDFLAGS="-ldl"
# make
If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid you may have some manual work ahead of you.

With your preferred editor, after getting the make error go looking in (this is from memory)

allegro-4.1.1.1/demos/skater/CMakeFiles/skater_agl.dir

and edit the link.txt file (if I've got the directory wrong, have a poke around).

It should contain a large linker command. Before the -lGl parameter, put in the extra -ldl parameter.

Go back to the Build directory and repeat:

# env LDFLAGS="-ldl" make
Check the output, carefully. You may see a similar error but check the directories listed in the 2 errors. It should have moved the error on from demos/skater/CMakeFiles/skater_agl.dir to another component. At which point, you will need to manually find the same link.txt file in every component that errors - there may be as many as 20 such components which need editing. That said, I would have expected the allegrogl component to have complained before the skater demo, so you might be lucky and that might be the only one.

Let us know how you get on ...

Sam.
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Well, I've tried and the solution for me seemed to be editing CMakeLists.txt and adding the -ldl in there. Once that was done, it works beautifully:
Well, it works!
Well, it works!
lento.png (8.18 KiB) Viewed 6532 times
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Kecske Bak wrote:EDIT: Solved it -ldl from the command line doesn't work on a clean install of Fedora 14.
Heh. Well, it did on mine. I don't run Fedora ... ;)

Glad you finally got it working. I can't wait to go through it all again when Tom adds something else fabulous to B-Em with a new recent dependency and/or the next round of distros breaks the current setup ...

Until then, rebuilding B-Em should be as simple as specified above now you've got a working Allegro 4.4 installation. Hurrah!

Sam.
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Many thanks for all your help - I'm puzzled as to why your method of forcing -ldl didn't work, but I'm not alone judging by the Fedora mailing lists. Forcing it into the gcc command line in the CMake file seemed to be the only way to get it to work. The above picture is a screenshot taken using B-Em's screenshot feature.

It's brilliant you went to the trouble to do this because it will be almost a year at the earliest that installing Allegro 4.4 will be any easier and it would be horrible if people couldn't use the latest B-Em before then. Incidentally, you have to install Allegro from source on ArchLinux too, as their package is broken.

Now I'm going to add a nice icon and a menu entry so that I don't have to double click on a .sh script in a folder to use BeebEm.
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Kecske Bak wrote:Many thanks for all your help - I'm puzzled as to why your method of forcing -ldl didn't work, but I'm not alone judging by the Fedora mailing lists. Forcing it into the gcc command line in the CMake file seemed to be the only way to get it to work.
There are often quirks based on hardware too. When compiling stuff from source, you tend to have to roll with the punches. Sometimes choice is a bad thing, no matter what ppl say - the sooner all the major distros standardise on a package format the better, but that relies on so much other stuff like standardising file layouts etc., it won't anytime soon.
Kecske Bak wrote:The above picture is a screenshot taken using B-Em's screenshot feature.
Yep, that was broke in 2.1. Tom sorted it out for 2.1a. :)
Kecske Bak wrote:It's brilliant you went to the trouble to do this because it will be almost a year at the earliest that installing Allegro 4.4 will be any easier and it would be horrible if people couldn't use the latest B-Em before then. Incidentally, you have to install Allegro from source on ArchLinux too, as their package is broken.
Aye. I've had it running in Debian Testing for ages, but it's always a slightly different procedure for each distro. We can't expect Tom to support building and installing the dependencies tho, so someone's gotta do it, eh? :) As I recall, after getting you started with BeebEm for UNIX ages ago, that's two you owe me. haha. ;)
Kecske Bak wrote:Now I'm going to add a nice icon and a menu entry so that I don't have to double click on a .sh script in a folder to use BeebEm.
I find that the BBC Owl logo from Wikipedia makes a perfect scalable icon for B-em.

Sam.
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Samwise wrote:I find that the BBC Owl logo from Wikipedia makes a perfect scalable icon for B-em.
I have a nice folder icon too...
Screenshot-kecskebak.png
Screenshot-kecskebak.png (69.01 KiB) Viewed 6523 times
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

haha. Real Linux nerds use detail view* ... (and KDE or Xfce over Gnome ;)).

j/k. Looks nice. Maybe you should attach it here for anyone who looks up this topic if they have problems compiling B-em.

Sam.

* caveat: if they're forced to use a GUI over the console!
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Samwise wrote:haha. Real Linux nerds use detail view
Well, as a mere drawer and colourer-in I create scalable icons so people with Linux beards can still use the same graphic :lol:
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

*rubs unshaven chin* ... how did he know? *muse*
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (78.97 KiB) Viewed 6491 times
8)
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Nice. Are you going to share that and your folder icon here?

I'm happy enough with the plain svg owl, but it's always good to have choice! :)

Sam.
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Here's the owl icon I'm using for B-Em, and the GNOME Clearlooks folder icon - they both need some work, but even as they stand they make my Fedora installation look nicer.
owl.svg.zip
Owl icon (Inkscape SVG)
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
folder-bem.png
folder-bem.png (1.85 KiB) Viewed 6479 times
EDIT: Here's a Samwise style icon, in Tango stylee:
B-Em tango icon
B-Em tango icon
bem-tango.png (4 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
bem-tango.svg.zip
B-Em tango icon scalable (Inkscape format SVG)
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
IceCap

Post by IceCap »

I have been working on getting B-em compiled to be able to install it on my Mythbuntu setup and was planning on writing up the directions on the Mythbuntu forums since I think lot of Mythbuntu users might be interested in getting it setup. Of course I have run into some issues which could potentially be simple.

First, because I don't want to be messing with my MythTV setup too much (modest Pentium D with ~3GB of memory but running smoothly) I have an older (ok, "ancient") laptop which I do all testing on and then wipe and reinstall when needed. The laptop is a Pentium II at 400MHz with 192MB of memory, just the bare minimum to run Xubuntu (which the Mythbuntu is based on). So this could easily be the reason for the issues I'm having (which I'm getting at).
So, in order to install B-em (version 2.1+) on Ubuntu, what I came up with was the following.
First, install basic packages:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libopenal1 libopenal1-dev
sudo apt-get install libalut0 libalut-dev
sudo apt-get install zlib1g zlib1g-dev
sudo apt-get install cmake
Looking at Samwise directions I'm pretty sure that I forgot here to include automake which I vaguely remember installing.

sudo apt-get install automake
Then install the dependencies for allegro4.2 (but not the package itself, similar to Samwise directions)

sudo apt-get build-dep liballegro4.2
Then download Allegro-4.4.1.1, unarchive, make a Build directory inside the Allegro directory, go in there and

cmake ..
sudo make install
I didn't include the -DWANT_LINUX_CONSOLE=on directive but it doesn't seem to affect the issue that I'm having.
This compiled Allegro although there were some warnings about ogg and vorbis missing (normal?) which I haven't bothered to fix.
Edit .profile in $HOME and add the following line at the end:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Restart
Download b-em and unarchive. Download depcomp from http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/depcomp and use it to replace the broken link in the b-em directory and then issue

chmod 777 depcomp
Then finally compile b-em with

./configure
make
So here is where I'm having problems. Things seem to start smoothly until what I believe is the final compile (or linking, I need to run "make >make.log" to figure out what was being compiled). After sitting for a while on the "last step" the terminal gets killed (no error). Just disappears. I'm wondering if the issue here is lack of memory.
I might have to bite the bullet and try this on the Mythbuntu machine since it has proper specs.

Thanks

IceCap
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Hi, IceCap.

I'm at work so can't actually play with anything, but here are some comments.
IceCap wrote:Edit .profile in $HOME and add the following line at the end:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
All seems fine before here. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing the above, as anything which has been installed in /usr/local/lib will then take precedence over anything that has been installed from package. If you want it in your path, I'd consider rewriting that as:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib
IceCap wrote:Download depcomp from http://www.fastcgi.com/devkit/depcomp and use it to replace the broken link in the b-em directory and then issue

chmod 777 depcomp
This step concerns me. If you're using a recent version of Ubuntu, then I'd expect your experience to be broadly similar to the Debian instructions I posted. If you're experiencing a build issue related to depcomp, you might want to play with automake (e.g. what happens if you do "automake -a"?) which I think should be generating that file, and not just downloading a copy of it.
IceCap wrote:Then finally compile b-em with

./configure
make
So here is where I'm having problems. Things seem to start smoothly until what I believe is the final compile (or linking, I need to run "make >make.log" to figure out what was being compiled). After sitting for a while on the "last step" the terminal gets killed (no error). Just disappears. I'm wondering if the issue here is lack of memory.
I'd start with looking at your depcomp fix above, first. It does also seem odd that the terminal is crashing out. What happens if you exit X Windows and compile it from the actual console? Does that make any difference?

I can try and repeat the installation on an Ubuntu VM, as I did for Dave J at some point but I can't guarantee when I'll get round to it as I'm preparing for a three-week jaunt which is rushing towards at me at alarming speed.

Let us know how you get on.

Sam.
IceCap

Post by IceCap »

Sam,

Let me check the depcomp issue. Maybe I didn't install automake. It wasn't until I wrote the post that I realized that step sounded strange and might be the issue.
I'll check it out tonight as I'm about to head out to work.

Thanks

IC
IceCap

Post by IceCap »

Decomp wasn't the issue. I actually think I already erased the B-em folder and re-extracted it.
Turns out my old PII doesn't have enough memory. I exited X Windows and ran make again and it exits with an out of memory error and kills the gcc process (along with couple of other desktop processes, like the network daemon).
So assuming that this is really because the laptop only has 192MB of memory I think I go ahead and compile it on my Mythbuntu setup (2GB of memory and a P4).

Thanks for suggesting the console route, I should have thought of that.

IC
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Good to hear you're sorted. I'd be interested to see some screenshots or a video of how you manage to integrate B-Em into MythTV. It's been on my potential TODO list at some vague point in the future ...

Sam.
IceCap

Post by IceCap »

Alright, I got it to compile on my MythTV media center and so far have been able to play the Welcome disk, RocketRaid and Planetoid (should I edit the directions above for Ubuntu or post in a new topic?). So now I need to integrate it into the MythGame module inside MythTV. Right now I have 3 issues I need to solve.

1) I made *.ssd image (or disk) files of both Planetoid and RocketRaid (originally zip files) using bbcim which worked except they didn't autoboot. My understanding was that in order to get them to autoboot one would have to include a file "!BOOT" on the image (which format was given, I can post if needed). However, I can't include the filename in the bbcim command (bash error) and it isn't included automatically (the !BOOT file isn't on the image). How can I get it to work?

2) How can I run b-em right into fullscreen mode (I don't want to have to press Alt-Return) from the command line?

3) I have a CRT TV (1080i) hooked up to my MythTV media center so I can't read the GUI on B-em (hopefully this will change in not too distant future). But all I really need there is the key sequence for quitting the emulator so I can get out of it using the remote (through lirc).

Playing Planetoid and RocketRaid brought me back ~26 years. On to Elite, Ghouls, Revs ...

Once I have these solved and b-em integrated into MythGame I'll post the directions.

Thanks

IC
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

For the 'bash error' problem with !BOOT, try a backslash: \!BOOT, or quotes: "!BOOT" or '!BOOT' - at least one of those should do the trick.

To run directly into fullscreen mode looks like it might need a source change and rebuild (or a binary patch) - I'm not certain about that, but I don't see a way.
IceCap

Post by IceCap »

I got the !BOOT to work (read the directions wrong, way wrong) and also figured out the key sequence to quit (F11, Alt-F, E). I'm working on getting full-screen automatically which should be possible by somehow sending an Alt-Enter automatically to b-em after launch.

Just got b-em to launch from MythGame. Need to start populating the games (ssd), cover scans and screenshots.

IC
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

Just compiled B-Em for Linux on Fedora 16 (GNOME 3.2 Desktop)
Gnome 3.2 with B-Em!
Gnome 3.2 with B-Em!
shell.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
Very easy to do now, as you don't need to compile Allegro 4 any more, as it's now in the repository.

The only thing to watch is that you have to install alleggl-devel as well as allegro-devel
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ok,

my environment :

OpenSUSE 12.1 32 bit, zlib, openal, libpng, libvorbis, lib ogg installed from YaST.

Allegro 4.4.1 compiled and installed as it should be.

Trying to compile B-em2.1a (or Atomulator) results in configure falling over :

configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
configure: loading site script /usr/share/site/i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for 2-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking for 2-g++... no
checking for 2-c++... no
checking for 2-gpp... no
checking for 2-aCC... no
checking for 2-CC... no
checking for 2-cxx... no
checking for 2-cc++... no
checking for 2-cl.exe... no
checking for 2-FCC... no
checking for 2-KCC... no
checking for 2-RCC... no
checking for 2-xlC_r... no
checking for 2-xlC... no
checking for g++... g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking whether to enable debugging... no
checking for allegro-config... /usr/local/bin/allegro-config
checking for Allegro - version >= 4.0.0... no
*** Could not run Allegro test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means Allegro was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved Allegro since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the allegro-config script: /usr/local/bin/allegro-config
configure: error: building B-em requires Allegro to be installed

I extracted the little Allegro test program and tried compiling it manually and that also fell over trying to find ALLEGRO_TEST_VERSION

update: Fixed it, needed to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconf

Cheers.

Phill.
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

Prime wrote:Trying to compile B-em2.1a
Why using an old version?
Prime

Post by Prime »

TomWalker wrote:
Prime wrote:Trying to compile B-em2.1a
Why using an old version?
Went to the B-em website, that was the latest version offered. Seems that I may have been using a cached version of the webpage, did a re-load this morning and it showed 2.2.

I have downloaded 2.2 and that seems to compile without problems.

Cheers.

Phill.
Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak »

I've just installed B-Em v 2.2 on Fedora 18.

Everything worked fine, but I needed to change the link in the depcomp file to point to /usr/share/automake-1.7/depcomp as automake-1.1.1 no longer exists on Fedora 18.

Many thanks for the wonderful emulator Tom, and to Samwise for his installation instructions for Fedora. I'm off to play Repton The Lost Realms - I may be some time!
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I've installed B-Em on Ubuntu 12.04 today. I had the problem with "depcomp" that others had, but downloading a new file over the top of it as described above did the trick.

I haven't sussed it all out yet, but I wanted to try a CF card image in Master Turbo mode to see if I could run the L3 file server.

I'm not sure if it supports ADFS disc images >640K, if I try to access some of the files outside this size, I get a 1770 error &61, which is bad address. Can it address discs bigger than this?

In Master Turbo mode, I still get the 6502 cheese wedge message, how do I get it to emulate the 65C102?

Obviously it needs Econet so that I can have 254 instances running...
firthmj

Post by firthmj »

Hi,

A couple of questions on what is now a rather old thread:

I've managed all the compilation steps, and B-Em works on my Ubuntu 12.04 based system.

My questions are:
1a) The B-Em window doesn't have any borders, so I can't move it around the screen. Is this normal, and is it a decision of (a) B-Em itself, (b) the Allegro libraries or (c) the Ubuntu window manager?
1b) Is it possible to change this, and, if so, how?

2a) The Linux GUI doesn't seem to have the "New disc" menu options that the Windows version does - I can see that they're missing from the "linux-gui.c" file, where the other menu items are defined. Is there a good reason they are missing?
2b) Has anyone tried to add these options back in to the Linux version? I can see where the code for the Windows version is in "win..c", but don't know enough about Allegro to know what the equivalent of the Windows "getsfile" call is that launches a "save file" dialogue.

If I find some time / enthusiasm I'll investigate these further myself, but thought I'd ask here in case anyone has already come across these and resolved them.

Thanks

Michael
Had fun at the
Meeting 21st September 2019
davidb

Post by davidb »

There should be a window title and border but there isn't a normal menu. Perhaps it behaves strangely in the Unity environment. Are you running that?

I don't know why some functions are missing in the Linux version. It may be that Tom isn't familiar with the available GUI libraries, or perhaps he didn't have time to implement those features. Maybe he'll explain the situation. :) Perhaps you could write the necessary functions. ;)

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”