Summary of emulators for 8bit acorns

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
sydney

Summary of emulators for 8bit acorns

Post by sydney » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread at the top of the emulators section of the forum with details of all the emulators available? I'm thinking of a list for each system with links to the homepage/GitHub page/whatever of each emulator for that system.
I'm suggesting this as I'm struggling to find an electron emulator for Linux and thought 'Wouldn't it be useful if there was one post with all the details of all the current emulators in it?' I also think it would be useful for all the new members do as to save them lots of fruitless searching.
Developers can post updates in the thread and I'd summarise it all in the top post.
Anyone agree with me or am I on my own?

BigEd

Re: Summary of emulators for 8bit acorns

Post by BigEd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Sounds good to me. If you'd leave room also to note whether any Windows-based emulators run happily using WINE on Linux or Mac OS that would be good - that's how I often end up running. (When jsbeeb isn't what I need, and visual6502 isn't either...)

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:11 pm

I think I'd go further than that Ed and include compilation instructions for each emulator too. I've found installing dependencies to be problematic on more than one occasion so a full 'howto' could be added.
Last edited by sydney on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Perhaps there should be a column that tells us whether we have to build from source or just unpack something??

The most usable projects are surely those which need minimal installation, and the least usable are the ones you have to compile, but you don't have what you need to do that.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

BigEd wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm
Sounds good to me. If you'd leave room also to note whether any Windows-based emulators run happily using WINE on Linux or Mac OS that would be good - that's how I often end up running. (When jsbeeb isn't what I need, and visual6502 isn't either...)
And Docker. :) Much more friendly than wine (IMO).

Edit: https://hub.docker.com/r/elminster/
Last edited by Elminster on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Sounds good :) I'd expect compilation instructions to be on a projects Github page, or wherever, which should always be current.

I'd like to see a list of supported machines and peripherals for each emulator, expect a lengthy list for MAME :lol: A pros and cons for each emulator may be useful too.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Pernod wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm
Sounds good :) I'd expect compilation instructions to be on a projects Github page, or wherever, which should always be current.
Yes I dont think we want to duplicate the compile instructions, as Pernod says it should be on Github (or code repo of choice), that way lead. A column that links to build insructions/indicates they are available etc.

I suppose for dead projects with poor dodcs you could have a compile doc if someone is willing to maintain it (i.e. if some one was willing to maintain it then would it be a dead project :) ).

dp11

Post by dp11 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Pernod wrote:
I agree they should be current. It might be nice to actually test them. I've often found some extra library or component is needed and for a newbie this is very off putting.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:02 pm

dp11 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:00 pm
Pernod wrote:
I agree they should be current. It might be nice to actually test them. I've often found some extra library or component is needed and for a newbie this is very off putting.
Could add a column for experience require to get it working. i.e. Easy, Medium, Hard and Linus Torvalds

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:15 pm

The problem I've had has been missing dependencies so perhaps instructions on how to install the dependencies rather than compilation instructions. For example, B-em needs allegro5 but the instructions I followed to install it missed out all the audio and other parts so compilation failed.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I need to publish the auto build scripts for docker. They take a base install of Linux every time and build from scratch so all the dependencies are there.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 pm

You should put up a docker project on github with instructions that get a person from zero to emulation... certainly I won't be playing that game without instructions!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:54 pm

BigEd wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 pm
You should put up a docker project on github with instructions that get a person from zero to emulation... certainly I won't be playing that game without instructions!
It is prebuild. Nothing on github requite, just download image from repository. I did try to explain how to use it in blog, but seemed to have failed. I probably need to do a video, on my todo list.

Edit: But if I published how I built it, it shows he dependacies for people manually compiling.
Last edited by Elminster on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:56 pm

(I suppose I'm trying to say that every time you mention docker, you should make it a link to some usable instructions, somewhere. Github, blog, previous post even - so long as they work.)

colonel32

Post by colonel32 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Elminster wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Was it you who was talking about minimal docker images for the Xilinx tools recently? I can’t see the contents of the above url - I guess I need to make an account first.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with the heavyweight xilinx virtual server when I used it the other week.
Last edited by colonel32 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:05 pm

It would be possible to add a subforum to the emulators forum for each system or emulator. So a subforum each for atom, beeb and electron or a subforum each for B-EM, Beebem, elkulator, electron etc. Would this be a useful addition? If so which would be the best way to do it? By system or emulator? Am I taking this too far?

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 pm

ooh, I'm no fan of increasingly fractal subforums...

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:21 pm

colonel32 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm
Elminster wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Public should be able to see it but maybe a different link, dont think you need an account, or maybe you do, have to check.
Was it you who was talking about minimal docker images for the Xilinx tools recently? I can’t see the contents of the above url - I guess I need to make an account first.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with the heavyweight xilinx virtual server when I used it the other week.

Me and Myelin discussed. The issue is with distrobution for none personal use.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:24 pm

sydney wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:05 pm
It would be possible to add a subforum to the emulators forum for each system or emulator. So a subforum each for atom, beeb and electron or a subforum each for B-EM, Beebem, elkulator, electron etc. Would this be a useful addition? If so which would be the best way to do it? By system or emulator? Am I taking this too far?
Is there enough posts individually to split it up into that many sub topics?

Prime

Post by Prime » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:03 am

sydney wrote:
And how do you handle MAME/MESS which emulate to some extent pretty much every generation of Acorn machine......

Cheers.

Phill.

sydney

Post by sydney » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 am

Prime wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:03 am
sydney wrote:
And how do you handle MAME/MESS which emulate to some extent pretty much every generation of Acorn machine......

Cheers.

Phill.
There could be a separate "Multi-system" section.

Seems I'm on my own with this so I'll not bother with the individual subforums for now. I'll get on with the sticky post now but I'm probably going to need some assistance as I'm not up to date with the atom side of things.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 am

On you main post you can change

B-em from

Code: Select all

Windows: Install and run. Linux: Compilation needed. OSX: Unknown
to

Windows: Install and run. Linux: Compilation needed. OSX: Compilation needed
I use latest B-em version with allegro 5 on Mac. So I know it works.
Last edited by Elminster on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

sydney

Post by sydney » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am

Elminster wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 am
On you main post you can change

B-em from

Windows: Install and run. Linux: Compilation needed. OSX: Unknown
to

Windows: Install and run. Linux: Compilation needed. OSX: Compilation needed
I use latest B-em version with allegro 5 on Mac. So I know it works.
Thanks. To say my OSX knowledge is limited would be an understatement.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:53 am

I have beebem on Mac as well but I compiled that years ago and I cant remember what state or how hard it was now. There was certainly a few gotchas. So you might want to do

Beebem
OSX: Compilation needed (status unknown)

or maybe

Beebem
OSX: Compliations need (advanced)

B2 is easy on OSX when you do that one, as Tom has created an OSX install DMG package.
Last edited by Elminster on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.