New to Roms

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
Rich666

New to Roms

Post by Rich666 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm

I was wondering, what is the difference between these roms? I have multiple ones like this for every game it seems.
Which one is preferable to just play the game on an emulator?

(picture should be attached)
Attachments
bbcmicro.jpg

danielj

Re: New to Roms

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Rich - to protect you from the barrage which may ensue... ROMs has a very specific meaning with the Acorn machines - ROMs are programs which are stored on actual silicon, and can be permanently installed into the machine. (ROM=Read Only Memory). There are lots of these, they're mostly toolkits, wordprocessors, languages etc.

What you've got there is a list of disk images. Disk images are normally in ssd (single sided) or dsd (double sided) formats. Not sure where you're getting them from, but if you look at bbcmicro.co.uk you can download a working disk image for pretty much every game ever.

d.

Rich666

Post by Rich666 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm

I downloaded them all in a single pack and they just came like this, I was wondering which version would be best to use out of those though once I unpack it?
Downloading them all individually would take days :P

Oh and yeah all the files unpack as .ssd, forgot to mention that.

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Judging by the titles, some of them have hacks/cheats included. I have no idea which would be the best to use though - just try them and see which works?

d.

Rich666

Post by Rich666 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Fair enough, thanks anyhow :)

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:41 pm

If it helps with any further exposition: the prevalent emulator disk image formats are notable for not being able to store any sort of copy protection scheme. So any game that originally had a copy protection scheme tends to be archived only in a variety of different cracked versions. That's likely why you've got so many options.

I'd tend towards anything with 'TSTH' in the name — that almost certainly means it originally came from The Stairway to Hell, a well-curated Acorn-specific archive site.

Rich666

Post by Rich666 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm

I actually meant to ask what TSTH meant, thanks :D

One other thing, what's the different between 'bootfile' and 'YILOAD start' (using the game listed as the example, different games have different words before the word 'start' which are specific to the game in question).

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:12 pm

bootfile means the game can be loaded with SHIFT-BREAK to EXEC/RUN the !BOOT file on the disk image, which then loads the game.
YIELOAD start will require you typing CHAIN"YIELOAD" to start the game

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Rich666 wrote:One other thing, what's the different between 'bootfile' and 'YILOAD start' (using the game listed as the example, different games have different words before the word 'start' which are specific to the game in question).
The terminology sounds like it's probably adapted from a generic TOSEC/Good File-esque naming scheme since I'm unaware of the term in the Acorn world but I'd assume that a disk with a 'bootfile' is one that can start itself if you hold down 'shift' while starting your machine (or press shift+break after it has started). Which isn't technically achieved by having anything called a 'bootfile' but whatever.

I'd dare imagine the others are trying to tell you which file to load.

Shift+break is the norm for all real commercial software but cracked files won't necessarily be set up for it because a lot of them will originally have been on bootleg multi-game compilations. Multiload titles are relatively rare, so titles tend to be a lot smaller than a whole disk.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Rich666 wrote:One other thing, what's the different between 'bootfile' and 'YILOAD start' (using the game listed as the example, different games have different words before the word 'start' which are specific to the game in question).
It could mean anything, but I'll assume 'bootfile' means it contains a !BOOT file so it can be booted, and 'YILOAD start' probably means you need to load YILOAD to start.

This looks like the TOSEC set which basically contains all versions found on the internet at the time it was created. This includes lots of duplicates that may contain exactly same files in a different image, worthless. Many may or may not work, and I doubt anyone here would want to answer questions on individual 'roms' in that set.

If you're looking for individual games to use on an emulator then get them from either http://bbcmicro.co.uk/ or http://www.stairwaytohell.com/, and discard the TOSEC rubbish.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:42 pm

^they are

& all stolen from STH , hence the TSTH [-X
ImageImageImage

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:48 pm

I feel motivated to post a partial defence of TOSEC on two grounds:
  • many of the TOSEC collections are available from archive.org, which means they're all available from a source that's both trustworthy and known to be trustworthy by a huge swathe of people; and
  • there's not inherently anything wrong in the grab-everything school of archiving.
I'm fairly disdainful of stuffing metadata into the file name though. Adopting the real-library model of a separate catalogue would have been more appropriate in my mind: something like a table of hash to structured data and files given their natural names would have been both friendlier to users and to tools if you're honestly interested in preservation rather than in leeching copyrighted content far and wide.

That's all in the abstract, of course. Those of us in the community already know that The Stairway to Hell is thoroughly trustworthy and that its curation is excellent.

Rich666

Post by Rich666 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:11 pm

I wasn't sure it was relevant until now (so I didn't mention it), but the games are being emulated on a PSP so they just load from a list. Thanks for saying the differences though as to me it shouldn't matter too much :)

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 pm

ThomasHarte wrote:Adopting the real-library model of a separate catalogue would have been more appropriate in my mind: something like a table of hash to structured data and files given their natural names would have been both friendlier to users and to tools if you're honestly interested in preservation rather than in leeching copyrighted content far and wide.
This is what we do for MAME, there are software lists in XML format that document known good dumps of available software for all supported systems, see https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... b_cass.xml
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.