B-Em

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
SteveF

Re: B-Em

Post by SteveF » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 pm

I suspect the BITSHIFTERS logo Norbert refers to is part of the ongoing port of Prince of Persia and is shown when the game boots. Judging from the quick look I've had at the issues list on the PoP repository, Norbert has been helping out by playtesting the port but has no previous experience with the Acorn 8-bit machines. (I have no connection with this port other than being an interested spectator, but thanks very much for your help with this, Norbert!)

Norbert

Post by Norbert » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks for the feedback all.
I'm happy to learn that there is (already) an option to turn off the noise.

SteveF, you are right; I didn't realize the "BITSHIFTERS" logo is part of that specific port.
I now see that the author (kieranhj) also mentions the "Bitshifters Collective" in his signature.

Norbert

Post by Norbert » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi again, I have some questions. :)

The first has to do with the alignment of content on the B-em canvas.
I've tested three different B-em versions with pop-beeb.dsd.
The version from GitHub master doesn't seem to horizontally center the content.
See the attached image. Is this a (known) bug?

Second question, is http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/ a trustworthy location to obtain a binary for Windows?
Or is it better to look at GitHub releases, and then m2000 (or nula-mode7)?
Also, is there any known location where I could get a statically compiled version for Linux, that includes allegro (and jack?) libs?

Another question, when shipping B-em with (in) another package, can I just remove the disks/ directory to save lots of space?
Anything (else) I could remove without consequences?
Attachments
alignment.png
aligment

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Norbert wrote:The first has to do with the alignment of content on the B-em canvas.
I've tested three different B-em versions with pop-beeb.dsd.
The version from GitHub master doesn't seem to horizontally center the content.
See the attached image. Is this a (known) bug?
I think the root of the problem is that Mode 7 is actually a little too wide.

The way B-Em's video rendering works is that the code that emulates the CRTC/Video ULA writes into a bitmap which contains a complete scanline and then a subset of that is blitted onto the screen, possibly via some intermediate bitmaps depending on options. Where in the scanline the blit starts depend on the border mode selected (Settings->Video->Borders) with "Full" aiming to display the whole of the visible part of the scanline, "Small" displaying less dead space and "None" displaying only the content area. The offsets into the scanline are in vidalleg.c starting around line 196.

So I adjusted these previously because Mode 7 looked rather asymetric but fixing that seems to have put the alignment off on Mode 2, and probably the other non-textetext modes. I have changed the values for small borders to get it symetrical in Mode 2. See below:
cur-mode7.png
Current mode 7
cur_mode2.png
Current mode 2
new_mode7.png
New Mode 7
new_mode2.png
New Mode 2
A more thorough fix would be to have separate values for Mode 7 and for the other modes. So the new code setting these values is:

Code: Select all

if (fullscreen) {
            firstx = 256;
            lastx  = 256 + 800;
            firsty = 8;
            lasty  = 300;
        }
        else if (vid_fullborders == 1) {
            firstx = 306;
            lastx  = 1010;
            firsty = 24;
            lasty  = 296;
        }
        else if (vid_fullborders == 2) {
            firstx = 240;
            lastx  = 240 + 832;
            firsty = 8;
            lasty  = 312;
        }
Feel free to tune this further.
Norbert wrote:Second question, is http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/ a trustworthy location to obtain a binary for Windows?
Or is it better to look at GitHub releases, and then m2000 (or nula-mode7)?
http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/ is, as far as I know, the official home page for B-Em but is now quite old compared to what has been going on in GitHub. I did summarise the changes in another thread on here. I am also intending to put a new Windows binary on GitHub in the next day or two.
Norbert wrote:Also, is there any known location where I could get a statically compiled version for Linux, that includes allegro (and jack?) libs?
I have never seen this. You could build one, though, if you make sure you have the static Allegro libraries installed for your Linux distro and then hack Makefile.am to pass -Wl,-Bstatic to the linker (IIRC).
Norbert wrote:Another question, when shipping B-em with (in) another package, can I just remove the disks/ directory to save lots of space?
Yes. As long as you don't ship a b-em.cfg file that refers to a disc in that directory. If you are shipping it packaged to auto-start a game then that games's SSD should be the only disc image you need.
Norbert wrote:Anything (else) I could remove without consequences?
It depends whether your users will dive into the menu and try stuff. You need to ship the OS ROM and DFS rom for the machine you are emulating and also those noises you hate, even if they are turned off. You could remove the ROMs for other models and tube processors but then B-Em would crash if your user choose those from the menu.

HTH

Norbert

Post by Norbert » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the information Coeus.

tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 am

My Master 128 produces inconsistent output, at least with my little portable CRT. My notes say modes 0/1/2/3 are 1 char to the left of modes 4/5/6, and mode 7 is one char further to the right (my notes don't say whether these are 2MHz chars or 1MHz chars). Everything's packed away at the moment, so I can't check whether this means one set of modes is centred, or if they're all just differently misaligned.

It's even connector-dependent with my TV... the UHF display is to the left of the SCART display. This affects Boffin, which has a screen that's about as wide as can be - 720 pixels, I think - and ends up with the rightmost column cut off when played using my RGB SCART cable.

I don't have any notes about whether any of the modes are centred with the UHF cable, or if they're still aligned differently.

(My emulator doesn't get this right, but I intend to figure it out at some point...)

--Tom

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 am

tom_seddon wrote:My Master 128 produces inconsistent output, at least with my little portable CRT. My notes say modes 0/1/2/3 are 1 char to the left of modes 4/5/6, and mode 7 is one char further to the right (my notes don't say whether these are 2MHz chars or 1MHz chars). Everything's packed away at the moment, so I can't check whether this means one set of modes is centred, or if they're all just differently misaligned.
Interesting. In the Allegro 5 version of B-Em I changed the code to auto balance them. While emulating the CRTC/ULA it draws into one bitmap then blits this onto the screen with user selectable border width. That is not new. What I have changed is to have the first part record the min/max in each dimension that was actually drawn on and then before blitting the border is moved outwards from the edge of the drawn image by a certain number of pixels. I don't know how accurate people will want this. I can certainly see that TVs would differ because the picture size and position on a TV are adjustable, at least they were on CRTs.

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 am

That sounds like it will make JCB digger do the wrong thing and break my rally-X game/demo.
The horizontal screen position should be calculated from the centre of the h-sync pulse (LCDs tend to get this wrong) and the other 6845 registers.

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 am

Sorry if I have misunderstood.
You could also check the 1000 scroll demo from 3D pool by Orlando.

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 am

tricky wrote:Sorry if I have misunderstood.
You could also check the 1000 scroll demo from 3D pool by Orlando.
Where can I download this and your demo to test it?

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 am

Horizontal scrolling should be as smooth as vertical.
3DPool from stairwaytohell archive, wait a few seconds and a menu with option 3) 1000 scrolls will come up. Again, horizontal should be as smooth as vertical (but with a little flickering at the sides).
Attachments
RallyXDemoWipCRTCorBem.zip
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:24 pm

tricky wrote:Horizontal scrolling should be as smooth as vertical.
3DPool from stairwaytohell archive, wait a few seconds and a menu with option 3) 1000 scrolls will come up. Again, horizontal should be as smooth as vertical (but with a little flickering at the sides).
Thanks for spotting that. I tried your Rally Demo and the text at the bottom was obviously vibrating so I have reverted to fixed values though these are now the ones that the calculation would produce in standard OS modes. That leaves games free to move the image around by altering the timing.

https://github.com/stardot/b-em/commit/ ... 2588d22278

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks, its not a feature that has really been used, but I still hope to one day.

Norbert

Post by Norbert » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Coeus wrote:
Norbert wrote:Also, is there any known location where I could get a statically compiled version for Linux, that includes allegro (and jack?) libs?
I have never seen this. [...]
I'm currently trying to create a statically compiled B-em package for Linux.

I've made some progress.

I can get a static Allegro:

wget https://github.com/liballeg/allegro5/releases/download/4.4.2/allegro-4.4.2.tar.gz
tar -zxvf allegro-4.4.2.tar.gz
cd allegro-4.4.2/
mkdir build
cd build/
cmake -DSHARED=off ..
make
I can get a static OpenAL:

wget http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal-releases/openal-soft-1.18.2.tar.bz2
tar -jxvf openal-soft-1.18.2.tar.bz2
cd openal-soft-1.18.2/
mkdir build
cd build/
cmake -DLIBTYPE=STATIC ..
make
Then I copy their .a files to B-em:

wget https://github.com/stardot/b-em/archive/master-pre1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf master-pre1.tar.gz
cd b-em-master-pre1/
cp -i ../allegro-4.4.2/build/lib/*.a .
cp -i ../openal-soft-1.18.2/build/libopenal.a .
But next up, the configure line...

./configure LDFLAGS="-static" CPPFLAGS="-L."
...fails with a...
configure: error: "You need to install the OpenAL library."
...even though I already copied "libopenal.a" into the working (-L.) directory.

Any Linux users here with suggestions?

spudugly

Post by spudugly » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 pm

I'm no Linux expert but am interested in whether B-Em could be installed on a Raspberry Pi 3B with Retropie (non -Xorg).

Do you need to statically compile ALut as well? It looks like a separate package. See https://github.com/stardot/b-em/tree/sf/linux-pkg under headings "Compiling" and "Linux".

I also noticed that this person installed B-Em on SUSE: https://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/mikewillis/entry/b-em/ About half way down the code he installs freealut as a separate package.

The most recent version of freealut I could find that includes a static compile is: https://github.com/cesarizu/freealut

There seem to be a couple of guides on this forum for installing B-Em too on various Linux distributions (albeit not for a static compile as such):
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 0&start=30
viewtopic.php?t=3830

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Norbert wrote: ...fails with a...
configure: error: "You need to install the OpenAL library."
When I tried the same, the config.log file revealed that the test program generated by configure and used to probe for the OpenAL was failing to link because it couldn't find the pthread library.

If you specify -static the linker expect to use only static libraries including everything down to the standard C library. If that's what you want you'll need to make sure your distro has the static versions of libm libzlib, libpthread and libc installed. If you're prepared to link again shared versions of common libraries and only need static libraries for uncommon stuff then you can instruct the linker to switch halfway through the list of libraries, though I don't think GNU autoconf likes that.

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:44 pm

In a previous thread I mentioned that there have been changes to B-Em since release 2.2. There had also been some discussion about porting it away from Allegro 4 and I believe that was resolved in favour of Allegro 5. I now have an Allegro 5 version which works as far as I can tell but could do with someone with a joystick to test that. I have put a pre-release at https://github.com/stardot/b-em/release ... egro5-pre2

Up until now I have made the assumption that Linux users are happy to compile their own versions from git but this time I have also included a couple of Linux packages - the .tar.xz file is for Arch Linux and the .deb for Debian, and hopefully derivatives such as Ubuntu and Mint.

For Linux, to make it more packaging friendly it now searches for files in more standard Linux places so it will search for bundled ROMs, sound samples etc in the directories of the $XDG_DATA_DIRS path (which typically includes /usr/local/share/b-em and /usr/share/b-em) and will save the config file to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (typically $HOME/,config/b-em) so more than one user on the same machine can share the installation but have a separate config.

For Windows it will continue to expect the ROMs/samples etc. to be installed in the same folder as the executable and DLLs but will also save the config file to the user's profile.

Changes since 2.2 include, with those since the previous run down of changes in bold....

Features
  • Implement RTC for Master
  • Working 32016 co-processor (shared with PiTubeDirect)
  • Emulate a SCSI hard disk.
  • VDFS - selective access to host filesystem as a standard Acorn filing system.
  • Music 5000 emulation (from Beech, via Hoglet)
  • Music 4000 emulation via MIDI
  • Load ROMs into specific slots
  • Debugging on all current tube processors
  • Debugger "step over subroutine"
  • Debugger: optional refresh screen in single-step/when breakpoint hit.
  • Debugger: tracing instructions to a file
  • Video NuLa
  • Add ROMs to an existing model from anywhere on your PC via menu and file picker.
  • Save state to a snapshot file for a machine running with Tube processor (except 32016)
  • Emulate the external and internal 6502 tube processors with the correct ROMs and speeds
  • Get the visualisation of memory access when debugging working cross-platform
  • Cross-platform keyboard mapping
  • Cross-platform tape catalogue
  • Replace diverged Windows/Linux GUI with single GUI
Bug Fixes
  • potential crashes when loading tapes
  • CSW files now work on 64-bit Linux
  • Unix: Fix fullscreen handling
  • Add missing SBC zero page indirect X on tube 6502
  • Fix SBC overflow (V) in binary mode on main and tube 6502
  • Fix aparent error with carry flag in undocumented instructions.
  • i8271: fix emulation always reporting drive as ready
  • i8271: ensure spindown happens on disk fault and on closing a disk image.
  • 65816: Fix failure to remember 65816 is enabled
  • mouse: Fix not working Y direction in 80186 co-pro Gem.
  • 6502: fix BCD errors on both main and tube 6502 (but not 65C02)
  • 65c02: Added missing BIT zp,X (0x34) instruction
  • 65c02 core/tube: Correted NOP lengths
  • 65c02 core/tube: Fixed ZP wrapping issue with inditect addressing
  • 6502tube: implement Rockwell instructions RMB/SMB and BBR/BBS
  • debugging: fix disassembly of 6502 opcode 24, BIT zp
  • Fix 256 byte transfer over Tube hangs
  • video: fix loadstate/savestate inconsistency

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:42 am

Coeus wrote: Up until now I have made the assumption that Linux users are happy to compile their own versions from git but this time I have also included a couple of Linux packages - the .tar.xz file is for Arch Linux and the .deb for Debian, and hopefully derivatives such as Ubuntu and Mint.
The Docker container images should also make it even easier, working my way through the platforms and putting on Docker hub. Will see if I can build pre real version.
For Linux, to make it more packaging friendly it now searches for files in more standard Linux places so it will search for bundled ROMs, sound samples etc in the directories of the $XDG_DATA_DIRS path (which typically includes /usr/local/share/b-em and /usr/share/b-em) and will save the config file to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (typically $HOME/,config/b-em) so more than one user on the same machine can share the installation but have a separate config.
That is good, was causing me some logicistics thinking where the best place to move the files to so that it still worked.

Diminished

Post by Diminished » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:45 am

Looks like good work Coeus. I'll be sure to check this out soon.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm

Coeus wrote:In a previous thread I mentioned that there have been changes to B-Em since release 2.2. There had also been some discussion about porting it away from Allegro 4 and I believe that was resolved in favour of Allegro 5. I now have an Allegro 5 version which works as far as I can tell but could do with someone with a joystick to test that. I have put a pre-release at https://github.com/stardot/b-em/release ... egro5-pre2
I have built from source and all looks good on normal BBCs. Somethign odd happening with ROMs on Masters. Will raise an issue once I am sure I am not doing something mad or missed something.

Not tried the prebuilt packages, might give them a go to see if same issue.

Edit: P.S. I like the new menu's, the old press F11 bit was a pain and were ugly.

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Just trying the above link for joystick support.
b-em won't start, the dialog says:
This program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing...

PS Maybe statically link it? I know it is wasteful on linux, but the less DLLs the better on Windows.
Last edited by tricky on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Elminster wrote:...Somethign odd happening with ROMs on Masters. Will raise an issue once I am sure I am not doing something mad or missed something.
Is it the cmos file? If you run *ROMS are they all unplugged? If so the cmos may be all zeros. If it is this issue the proceed as you would with a real master after replacing the CMOS battery. When you quit it will save the cmos file to your per-user config dir ($HOME/.config/b-em on Linux).

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 pm

tricky wrote:...For now, I'll re-package with the missing DLL.
Try now.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Coeus wrote:
Elminster wrote:...Somethign odd happening with ROMs on Masters. Will raise an issue once I am sure I am not doing something mad or missed something.
Is it the cmos file? If you run *ROMS are they all unplugged? If so the cmos may be all zeros. If it is this issue the proceed as you would with a real master after replacing the CMOS battery. When you quit it will save the cmos file to your per-user config dir ($HOME/.config/b-em on Linux).
Ah could be, I am usually a beebem user, but lots of interesting new stuff in b-em, so could well be me being silly. Will have a further play later.

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:14 pm

And libstdc++-6.dll

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:46 pm

tricky wrote:And libstdc++-6.dll
Ok, that's there too now. I did also try linking to a static version of Allegro5 but this complained unrecognised file format. I'll keep working on it.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 pm

I compiled from source and get:

config: no config file found, using defaults
model: no models defined in config file
when I run it. It seems to be looking for b-em.cfg, but it doesn't look in the current directory (I am running it out of the directory where I compiled it). If I copy the file into ~/.config/b-em it fires up OK. I assume if I did an install it would find stuff OK, but I didn't check.

It is a massive improvement on the previous version (I have been using 2.2). I like the friendlier menu and the resizeable screen.

The readme file could do with some attention. It still says to use F11 for the menu and the formatting of the hardware emulated table is messed up a little.
  • I don't know if it is my setup, but I sometimes get a flashy line at the bottom of the screen.
  • If I do *. with no disc, I get the expected disc fault, but the disc drive noise never stops.
I can upload a video or raise github issues if you like. I am testing on Arch Linux.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm

pau1ie wrote:when I run it. It seems to be looking for b-em.cfg, but it doesn't look in the current directory (I am running it out of the directory where I compiled it). If I copy the file into ~/.config/b-em it fires up OK. I assume if I did an install it would find stuff OK, but I didn't check.
Yes, if you installed it as a package the default b-em.cfg file would be installed as /usr/share/b-em/b-em.cfg and B-Em knows to look there is it can't find ~/.config/b-em/b-em.cfg. That would provide the initial set of models and would then save back to ~/.config/b-em/b-em.cfg

It is a massive improvement on the previous version (I have been using 2.2). I like the friendlier menu and the resizeable screen.
pau1ie wrote:The readme file could do with some attention. It still says to use F11 for the menu and the formatting of the hardware emulated table is messed up a little.
Good call. I'll add updating that to the project.
pau1ie wrote:
  • I don't know if it is my setup, but I sometimes get a flashy line at the bottom of the screen.
  • If I do *. with no disc, I get the expected disc fault, but the disc drive noise never stops.
Yes, plrase raise GitHub issues. Video may be useful for the flickering line. Disc Noise I should be able to reproduce from the description.

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 pm

That is running.
Is there an easy way to get the "beeb" layout keyboard?
@ is *
# is ]
actually, it looks like it might only be those two.
Is there a way to redefine the BREAK key?
It doesn't recognise my joystick (HORI Fighting stick - PS3) and there doesn't seem to be an option to enable joysticks.
In my version of b-em, I support mapping joystick directions and buttons to keys so that even games without joystick support can work. I also allow a button to be mapped to exit to allow playing in a MAME cab etc. (I have a post somewhere about my launcher).
PS No flashing line here ;)

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Oops, teletext colours are wrong, maybe NuLA isn't implemented correctly! - not that Centipede uses it!
Testing with the attached centipede build.
Attachments
Centipede-test.zip
(10.52 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
b-em2.2.png
allegro5.png