Latest version of BeebEm

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
chrisn

Re: Latest version of BeebEm

Post by chrisn »

tricky wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:29 pm
There is currently a ticket open against beebem to fix analogue support on a Microsoft Xbox 360 controller.
Mine works fine in beebem 414 and 416 on win 7.
Can anyone tell me if it works on win 10?
My concern is that the proposed change is to move to xinput which only supports 360 compatible controllers as far as I know, which excludes the arcade stick that I currently use. I'm not worried for myself as I have plenty of alternatives (emulators not arcade sticks).
If there's any risk of introducing an incompatibility, we can add XInput support as an option, not a replacement.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

thanks to all involved in bringing out a new release, glad to see it supports all the op codes 1st time I have been able to load some titles on the emulator because of protection.
Peter.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm not saying that there would be as I haven't used it since it came out when it only supported the 360 controller. It doesn't support my PS3 arcade controller on win 7, but I don't have a win 10 machine to test on (not so I want one)!

PS Just checked a couple of other controllers and like my HORI PS3 arcade stick they don't work with XInput.
Last edited by tricky on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fwibbler

Post by fwibbler »

Its great to see this emulator updated at last.
Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to this.

I'm still having problems however when I capture a video though...(I'm running this on Windows 10)
It appears to capture ok, but when I try and play it I only get sound but no picture.
Loading it into Media Player Home Cinema it shows me the error attached....
Beebemerror.png

Also, is there any chance of having support for RobC's nULA chip and the Beeb SID chip upgrade (just incase anyone writes something for it)?

Cheers!
leenew

Post by leenew »

Could I ask if it is possible to improve the MODE 7 screen capture?
Presently, lurkio does most of the MODE 7 screenshots for bbcmicro.co.uk with an external image editor as the ones that I capture directly from BeebEm do not look that good for some reason?
Maybe someone could weigh in with a possible reason for it?
Thanks.

Lee.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I would guess that you are using dx smoothing which makes it look better on screen, but may not affect the captured image - I'm guessing here.
Maybe try setting the window size to 1280x1024 and then shrinking the image - may not save any time.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Yeah Tricky,
Time is the problem.
I have limited time to keep bbcmicro.co.uk updated, so grabbing a good screenshot without any messing around would be ideal.
Also, has anyone else noticed that often the screenshot captured is not what is present on screen when you actually capture it?
In other words, often some "pieces" of the graphics may be missing.
This is obviously due to the way emulators work (and why Billy Mitchell was caught cheating whilst playing Donkey Kong. https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/23/17039 ... -explainer). It is quite annoying having to take the screenshot multiple times as some elements are missing.

Lee.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Fantastic!
Nice to see BeebEm being updated.

Would it be possible at some point for the problems with Mode 7 to be looked at to match b-em.
The 3 games that I believe still have slight errors are...

FireTrack and its widescreen effect during loading.

Twin Kingdom Valley and its instructions missing the top line of text off the screen due to it getting pushed up somehow by double height text at the bottom of the screen.

The Shapes Game and your ship going partly invisible.

Also,
Did the lightpen latch issue get sorted for Pharaoh's Curse? It was sorted for b-em.

Lastly, The cursor is on during Wizzys Mansion gameplay, but off under b-em.

regards,
Mick.

PS keep up the good work!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Thanks Mick!

Yes, I'll take a look at the Mode 7 issues at some point. I knew about FireTrack and The Shapes Game, but wasn't aware of the problem in Twin Kingdom Valley. I also didn't know about Wizzy's Mansion.

The light pen issue with Pharoah's Curse was fixed in the previous version (BeebEm 4.15). But it may only be fixed the Windows version, I don't know if anyone has ported the changes to the Linux or Mac builds.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
Nearly forgot...

Winter Wonderland from Incentive and any graphical adventure using GAC seem to have graphic glitches in the text under BeebEm but are OK under b-em.
These were got around some time back by adding a check for BeebEm and poking a hack to amend code to sort of fix the issue.

I do not have any other issues with games so far under BeebEm.

thanks
Mick.
garfield

Post by garfield »

chrisn wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:00 am
I have just released BeebEm 4.16 (for Windows).

You can get it from GitHub here or Mike Wyatt's website.
  • Fixed instruction cycle times.
The changes to the 6502 emulation mean that all instructions are now emulated, including the differences between the BBC B, Master 128, and 65C02 Co-processor, and there are no more zero-cycle NOPs. Of course, there may still be bugs, but this is a big improvement.
Great release. Thanks all. I confirm that the opcode timings have fixed the display of Superior Software's "By Fair Means Or Foul" 128K Master Enhanced version.
=D>
mad

Post by mad »

Hi,
Love the latest version of the emulator, with all the updates and fixes!

Sorry if this has been discussed a thousand times before...
I would like to know if it is possible to get a pixel sharp (unform font) image in mode 7.
it seems to be random.
with the line spacing being 1 pixel out at times.
i am not using any filters/smoothing which trick the eyes rounding the font edges.

see pic which will show better than i can expain.
Attachments
font mode7.gif
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Thanks for all the suggestions, there's lots there to look at for the next version! To help me keep track, I've captured them as GitHub issues: https://github.com/stardot/beebem-windows/issues
Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell »

mad wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:27 pm
see pic which will show better than i can expain.
That looks to me like a scaling artefact. I suppose it might arise from an over-zealous attempt to emulate exactly the same pixel aspect ratio as on the genuine BBC Micro (which uses a 12 MHz pixel clock in MODE 7) by scaling the original 480 pixels across a line to 590 or so on a square-pixel display. Although that accuracy of emulation is laudable, the scaling is inevitably going to result either in blurriness or irregular character shapes as you show.

Personally I would rather sacrifice the precise aspect ratio and display MODE 7 with 640-pixel-wide lines, using a 16x20 character cell. This results in a slightly wider MODE 7 display than on the BBC Micro, but the characters will be consistent and much cleaner. This is what I do in my versions of BBC BASIC, and I think Matrix Brandy does the same.
I am suffering from 'cognitive decline' and depression. If you have a comment about the style or tone of this message please report it to the moderators by clicking the exclamation mark icon, rather than complaining on the public forum.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”