BeebEm Mac - Info

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
franton

Re: BeebEm Mac - Info

Post by franton » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:27 pm

I've ruled out most of the Catalina PPPC (aka the security controls in the OS) with one exception. Screen Recording.

I'm not sure why it'd be an issue but it causes issues for other similar operating apps like Bomgar, TeamViewer, VMWare Fusion etc etc.

However the issue is to confirm/rule out there's no way to manually add BeebEm5 to that control without the OS prompting us for it first. I would look at this side of things first. It's possible your existing profile already has this enabled somehow, so we should confirm this on Catalina.

Open up System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy tab. Scroll down left hand side until you find Screen Recording and see if BeebEm is listed in there or not.

CommanderCoder

Post by CommanderCoder » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 pm

BeebEm5 is not listed in the screen recording permissions.

franton

Post by franton » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:38 am

Well heck .. that usually 90% of cases. You've already identified that it's something local to your user profile. Not sure what files are being stored in there but it narrows it down.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:49 am

franton wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:27 pm
I've ruled out most of the Catalina PPPC (aka the security controls in the OS) with one exception. Screen Recording.

I'm not sure why it'd be an issue but it causes issues for other similar operating apps like Bomgar, TeamViewer, VMWare Fusion etc etc.
Screen recording Permission also covers just snapshotting the screen for some sort of icon or screen dump. I wrote some code that creates a thumbnail of an image via python, and that was always a pain to explain to people they had to accept the first time and that there machine would not explode.

CommanderCoder

Post by CommanderCoder » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:10 am

:D :D :D :D :D I fixed it. =D> =D> =D> =D>

There is still something wrong with my main profile that is still mystifying, but that can wait. At least I can make a build that works on my second profile that has the same problems everyone else is having.

During my alterations to the way in which the video image is created I changed my custom NSView to an NSImageView. NSView has no special properties but the NSImageView has the concept of 'editable'. The attribute was unticked and so it wasn't possible for the NSImageView to receive events - or that's my guess. isEditable suggests it is only for drag-and-drop images but I ticked it and now keyUp and keyDown events work.

https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... iseditable

The AppleDocs suggest I should use a NSButton for responding to clicks - but I'm not responding to clicks - just key events.
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... simageview

Anyway; test the current version and see if it is working again for you!

PeterTheGrey

Post by PeterTheGrey » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:23 pm

I had just got organised to try to take a longer look at this when I saw your updates. Thanks. I have downloaded and built with Xcode 11.6.

I can confirm that on 10.13.6 (Mid 2012 iMac) and 10.15.5 (MacPro 3,1 with dosdude patches) the updated version runs more or less as expected. The startup sounds are back and typing works properly. There is a tiny difference in the default screen size compared with the previous working version, in that the fonts (in Mode 7 at least) appear slightly "squeezed". Going full screen or manually increasing the size fixes this.

Must catch up with the rest of the updates on this thread

Thanks

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Yes, the latest update is good for me too: keyboard input works again.

:idea:

smorgo

Post by smorgo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:05 pm

I saw the 'editable' property yesterday and wondered if it should be enabled. Of course, I didn't try it.

I'd added NSEvent.addLocalMonitorForEvents() calls to the BeebViewController, which had succeeded in providing keyboard entry, but still gave the error beep.

I've just removed those and set the editable property and it's working. I'll pull the latest version, now :)

franton

Post by franton » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 am

The latest commit is indeed working for me.

I'm trying (on a very part time basis) to see if I can get Xcode to sign the app bundle and eventually produce an install pkg. No timeline on this being completed.

CommanderCoder

Post by CommanderCoder » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:21 pm

That'd be great if you figure it out. It was on my list of things to do soon. I just reinstated PASTE but I want to get COPY (i.e. LPRINT) back in before I push that.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:40 pm

CommanderCoder wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:21 pm
That'd be great if you figure it out. It was on my list of things to do soon. I just reinstated PASTE but I want to get COPY (i.e. LPRINT) back in before I push that.
I wonder what you think about this bug report about the way BeebEm currently handles PASTE..?:

https://github.com/stardot/beebem-mac/issues/10

:?:

CommanderCoder

Post by CommanderCoder » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:30 pm

I'll see if there is an answer to this when I look at it again. I think I've given myself a few too many jobs with BeebEm, JSAtom, archiving some floppies and now scanning some Sheffield-ABUG newsletters from the 1980s

CommanderCoder

Post by CommanderCoder » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:31 pm

I added repairing an old Acorn Atom to my list so BeebEm took a back seat for a while. I've just uploaded some fixes for COPY and PASTE of text from the original BeebEm.

If think I fixed the problem with PASTE too. It's a bit of an odd fix. The original system would force a RETURN keypress. Instead I force a ½ keypress (in Mode7) and this kicks off the OSRDCH loop to grab characters from the clipboard. To get rid of that character I insert the backspace code at the start of the clipboard which causes the ½ to be deleted.

COPY is just <ctrl-B> L. <cr><ctrl-C>

I still would like to sort out a DMG or other installer.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:53 pm

CommanderCoder wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:31 pm
If think I fixed the problem with PASTE too. It's a bit of an odd fix. The original system would force a RETURN keypress. Instead I force a ½ keypress (in Mode7) and this kicks off the OSRDCH loop to grab characters from the clipboard. To get rid of that character I insert the backspace code at the start of the clipboard which causes the ½ to be deleted.
Sounds a bit roundabout, but it seems to work well, at first glance! Good work! (I don't suppose my suggestion of taking the first char off the clipboard and using that as the forced char that triggers the OSRDCH loop is of any use? Probably no advantage over your solution..?)

Btw, because the BeebEm window in your port is resizable -- whereas the official Mac BeebEm4 window isn't -- the MODE 7 font in your port seems to be pixellated or "jagged", and it'll possibly keep looking pixellated unless the user somehow resizes (shrinks) the window till it's the same size as the BeebEm4 window is, although that's difficult to do by hand and judging by eye alone!

The Mac BeebEm MODE7 font seems to be optimized to look best at a particular window-size. Is there any way you could either provide a menu command to snap the window back to that size or -- and I realise this might be impossible -- somehow improve the appearance of the MODE7 font so that it looks good at any window-size?!

CommanderCoder

Post by CommanderCoder » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:27 am

It looks like I had the View set to 638x512 which is just wrong. I've set it to 640x512 now and I think Mode7 is looking good again. Have a look and see what you think. I've set it up so that the window is resizable but the view should stay the same aspect ratio within the window. Even at full screen (use the little green button on the menu bar) it will be 640x512 pixels but expanded to fit the screen.

For PASTE I tried using the first key but it didn't work for shifted letters; So if the text being pasted was

Code: Select all

a=10
then it would appear

Code: Select all

A=10
. I'd have to send a SHIFT then the A key to get this to work.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:32 pm

CommanderCoder wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:27 am
It looks like I had the View set to 638x512 which is just wrong. I've set it to 640x512 now and I think Mode7 is looking good again. Have a look and see what you think.
Looks right now. Thanks!

CommanderCoder wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:27 am
For PASTE I tried using the first key but it didn't work for shifted letters; So if the text being pasted was a=10 then it would appear A=10. I'd have to send a SHIFT then the A key to get this to work.
Fair enough.

Using your port of the emulator still feels a bit sluggish. I just downloaded the basic Chuckie Egg .SSD from bbcmicro.co.uk and booted it and played it, and the response to the keyboard controls felt jerky and halting. I'm sure you're aware, but just thought I'd mention it. Do you have any idea what might be causing this? If not, or if it's too early to say, then please ignore me!

:idea:

CommanderCoder

Post by CommanderCoder » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:59 pm

I saw and I'm on the case. I'd been spending a bit of time looking at 'DoubleClick' to get a recognised file to load at the same time as the app starts up. Not important but...

I think distributing a DMG is probably the next thing to sort out, and incorporate recent changes made in the Windows BeebEm (4.15)

I also think calling it BeebEm5 is wrong. I think I'll drop back to BeebEm4. With version 4.15 and above working on newer Macs.

CommanderCoder

Post by CommanderCoder » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Updated version of BeebEm5 (aka BeebEm4 for mac, but actually more like an updated BeebEm3 looking at the Jon Welch 4.0a codebase that it is based on.)

It supports 'double click' on a disk or tape file to boot it into the emulator (no drag and drop yet).

It has a DMG but you still need to allow it to use your machine until I 'sign' the app properly.

https://github.com/CommanderCoder/BeebE ... eebEm5_DMG

The sound support is a bit flaky I think. I've tried some more games and they stutter.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:58 pm

CommanderCoder wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:44 pm
The sound support is a bit flaky I think. I've tried some more games and they stutter.
I just tried Repton 1, and the sound seemed fine!

Which games have stuttering sound?

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:26 pm

Thank you Commander Code that is very helpful of you for all the mac users!

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”