Unreleased Android version of B-Em

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
tricky

Unreleased Android version of B-Em

Post by tricky » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:24 pm

I was given access to an unreleased version of b-em for Android and asked not to share it as the author couldn't promise to support it and didn't want to let people down.
The author of this great version of b-em was our very own Grunty, who was responsible for adding the PC graphics to the beeb version of the Hobbit along with a few other great projects.

I have recently come to believe that Grunty (Kieran) is no longer with us and wanted to share his work.
https://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co ... _Mockford/
Kieran Paul Mockford
An Incredible Man Kieran Paul Mockford 1971 - 2018 The Shining Star of Microsoft In Seattle, USA, Dear Son of Ann and Charles. Wonderful Husband of Joanne, kindest of Fathers to Zoe and Holly. Loyal Brother to Darren, and Brother in Law to Paula, Special Uncle to Sam and Alex. Kieran "The Last Jedi".
Published in the Clacton and Frinton Gazette on 22nd February 2018

I really hope that I have this correct and don't upset anyone. I have spent quite a while checking as best I can.

I have corresponded with SarahWalker who wrote the excellent b-em and although it goes against the license, she agrees with me that this version of b-em should be available.
As the .apk is nearly 30MB and the .zip 15MB, I have uploaded it to my DropBox. You should be able to get it with this link without needing an account.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vovwav75vmbhx ... k.zip?dl=0
Download and unzip to get the .apk and then follow whatever method your Android phone requires to install it.
The first run can take a few seconds to open and on a couple of occasions I got an exception but this didn't stop it working perfectly for me on my old low powered cheap Chinese Android 4.4.2 phone.

There is no support for this emulator, but it seems to work well for me and my games ;)

You can add your own disc images, swap keyboards and choose what sort of beeb to emulate.
Beeb-X_.png

Coeus

Re: Unreleased Android version of B-Em

Post by Coeus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:48 pm

Nice to see this released but so sad to hear of Keiran's passing. Was this the same Keiran who contributed the VideoNuLA code to the PC version of B-Em as I think he worked for Microsoft, or a different one?

VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 pm

No, that's a different Kieran. He's active on here quite a bit.

paulj

Post by paulj » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi

Great to see this emulator, is there any chance source code could be released ?

We could build on his work

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 pm

This is awesome. Successfully installed on my Galaxy S7 Edge. It stuck at 'Initialising' for a bit on first startup, but subsequent start ups are a lot faster. Haven't done much with it yet, other than get to the > prompt. Time to dig out some disk images...

Edit: Just found the 'Local discs'. Brilliant!
Last edited by KenLowe on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Ohh thanks for releasing that version it's a lot better then the beebdroid version, it works very well.
Peter.