MAME: EuroBEEB

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
Pernod

MAME: EuroBEEB

Post by Pernod » Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 pm

Decided to take a look at emulating the EuroCUBE/BEEB.

I have the EuroCUBE-65 and EuroBEEB running standalone, with a generic serial terminal attached.

There are currently four different versions of the MOS available, two from http://mdfs.net/Software/Tube/6502/CUBE/ and another two can be found on the AutoMOS36 floppy image. The implementation allows selection from the 16 memory maps defined in the Cube-65 user manual.

Using MOS image 1.M-S from the AutoMOS36 floppy:
0000.png
Using MOS image 1.C-K53-S from the AutoMOS36 floppy:
I haven't yet implemented the CU-Key-53 keyboard (plugs into 6522 on CPU board), so wasn't expecting this to accept serial keyboard input.
0001.png
Using http://mdfs.net/Software/Tube/6502/CUBE/MOS300.rom:
This requires the Teletext card, which appears to be identical to the System 40 column card but mapped differently. The MOS is configured to Autorun so performs an OLD RUN at startup. It's expecting a BASIC program to be already resident in ROM or RAM. Wherever this MOS came from would've had additional ROMs containing the software which is missing.
0004.png
Using http://mdfs.net/Software/Tube/6502/CUBE/MOS419.rom:
This requires the CU-Graph card which appears to be very similar to the HiRes card found in the later CMS 6502 Development System. Not yet sure of all the mapping so doesn't show anything. At startup it performs *D. CH."START" so is expecting the Doublestore card to be installed with a floppy containing "START".

The next step is to connect it to an emulated Beeb and use the Euro-Beeb Terminal ROM to communicate with it.

In the meantime I'm looking for any additional info on the following:
- Teletext Video Interface: would like to see a manual to verify assumptions I've made.
- CUBE Doublestore Double Density Disk Controller: looking for the Microware Doublestore DDFS ROM.
- CU-Graph: would like to see a manual to verify everything.
- CU-Key: would like any info on the 53 and 99 keyboards.
- BeebEx: I know it's a separate device allowing eurocards to be connected to the 1MHz bus, any manual out there?

Does anyone know where the MOS300.rom and MOS419.rom found at mdfs came from? Were there other undumped ROMs in these systems?
Last edited by Pernod on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

jgharston

Re: MAME: EuroBEEB

Post by jgharston » Thu May 30, 2019 2:57 am

Some of them I got from Lee Davison, who died a few years ago. I had some before I was in touch with Lee, I'm struggling to remember where I got them from. The datestamps on my files are from 1998.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

SteveBagley

Post by SteveBagley » Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 am

I've just copied the EPROM on my EuroBeeb and it's attached. The EPROM has a sticky label with 'MosB.1 is 6 Cugraph E6CB' written on it. The only other ROM is an an Acorn HM613128PB05 and there are also a couple of static RAM chips on the board. No idea what's on the EPROM since I've not yet tried to make the board boot but a hexdump suggests the OS is the in there (along with an EPROM programmer).

Steve
Attachments
EUROBEEB.ROM
(8 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by SteveBagley on Thu May 30, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:34 pm

SteveBagley wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 am
I've just copied the EPROM on my EuroBeeb and it's attached. The EPROM has a sticky label with 'MosB.1 is 6 Cugraph E6CB' written on it. The only other ROM is an an Acorn HM613128PB05 and there are also a couple of static RAM chips on the board. No idea what's on the EPROM since I've not yet tried to make the board boot but a hexdump suggests the OS is the in there (along with an EPROM programmer).

Steve
This looks like an early version of the MOS, doesn't even support *HELP. The Acorn PB05 is BASIC2.
0000.png
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Can anyone that has a CU-Graph board post some good photos of it? The only photo found is at http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... raph2.html

I'm under the impression that the original CU-Graph board was monochrome only, and had 16K video RAM. To make it colour you added an extension board which added another 32K for the other two bitplanes.
Was there ever a version that was colour on a single board?
- Nigel

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:55 pm

The CU-Graph board is proving troublesome without a schematic. It works but the colours are all wrong. The current colour is written to &DF10 but doesn't correlate to a standard 3bit palette as used in the BBC.
Here's the LOGO program from the manual:
0000.png
The spurious black dashes are probably un-erased cursors.

I suspect the EF9366 emulation to be lacking, not surprising as it's only used in the rare French Apollo Squale computer, and monochrome only in a couple of CBM Pet cards.

It's surprising how many components that MAME supports that are inadequately emulated:
8271: only used in BBC and Atom so never matured to flux level, unlike WD series which are well supported.
EF9345: only used in VG-5000 and MC-10, not complete enough for CMS-6502 system.
EF9366: implemented for Squale only, also used in Control Universal and CMS-6502 cards. Needs improvement.
HD63484: used in a few arcade games, but not complete. The Prisma-3 addon requires DMA implementing.
MC6845: used in lots of machines, but only as a character generator. Needs timing improvements and interlace support.
6522: used in many machines but considered inaccurate. Apparently being re-written as Macs require cycle accuracy.
NS32016: not supported at all, though I have implemented the disassembler.

So much to do ...
Last edited by Pernod on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nigel