Graphic Adventure Creator

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
lurkio

Re: Graphic Adventure Creator

Post by lurkio » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Commodore wrote:to have duplicate rooms but with different numbers, then that way they can connect to each other.
Actually, I think you've accidentally discovered how to implement "a maze of twisty little passages"!

8)

Commodore

Post by Commodore » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:13 pm

I’d not heard of that one before, but having looked on Wikipedia, that does seem to be how it was written. I see there was a C64 version, I’ll have to give it a go. Until getting my Beeb and playing L again, I’d forgotten how much I like adventure games. I used to like fighting fantasy game books too. With text adventures now I’m less keen on the dungeons and dragons type, I prefer a bit more reality. Horror, crime, survival, I prefer them.

Commodore

Post by Commodore » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Well today was the first time for ages that I had any Beeb/GAC time available.

I set to work and realised pretty quickly that I needed to tidy up my work. So, I checked all objects, nouns, verbs, conditions, messages, rooms etc and noted them on paper.
Once I had done that I wanted a Y/N response to a particular question, but for the input to only trigger the response when the question had been asked. I wasn't really sure quite how to do this, but I seemed to think setting a marker might be a good way. So I did a bit of reading, and then found markers 0, 1 ,2, and 3 all relating to dark/light etc. I then read a bit more and found you could have 255 markers, so I set marker 4, and managed to get this working.
I was quite pleased with myself. That's all I really got done today, but that was a pretty big step, as so far all the conditions had done was display messages really. This time, you only get the message (and consequence) if first something else has been achieved.

Commodore

Post by Commodore » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:42 pm

I need a bit of help please from one of the GAC scientists!

Work on my adventure stalled for a bit leading up to Christmas, and I only got back to it yesterday. Although I had been keeping good notes I had rather lost my train of thought, so it took a while to get back into the groove. Some progress has been made, but now I am stuck.

In room 1, there is a blaster to collect. This is then needed in room 10 when confronted with a monster. I have been able to make the code work to kill the monster, but if the blaster was left in room 1, I want the protagonist to die, but I can't seem to achieve this. Any help greatly appreciated:

Code:

Local Conditions Room 10:

1. if ( VERB 16 and NOUN 9 ) MESS 20 WAIT END (inspect hatch, description given)

2. if ( VERB 30 and Noun 9 ) SET 11 MESS 21 WAIT END (Open Hatch, marker 11 set, monster loose)

3. if ( set? 11 and 9 in 1 ) mess 24 hold 1500 exit end (this is the line that does not work)

4. if ( set? 11 and carr 9 ) mess 23 wait end (will you use your blaster?)

5. if ( Verb 28 and noun 2 ) mess 25 wait end. (monster Dead)

At the moment I'm stuck!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Commodore wrote:I need a bit of help please from one of the GAC scientists! ...
Can we continue this discussion over here, please?:
:arrow:

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm

UPDATE: I've created an updated version of the manual for Graphic Adventure Creator (GAC), reflecting the discussion, in another thread, about GAC bugs and annoyances:
:idea:

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 am

lurkio wrote:I've created an updated version of the manual for Graphic Adventure Creator (GAC), reflecting the discussion, in another thread, about GAC bugs and annoyances: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 78#p181239
I've corrected some minor errors in the new version of the GAC manual, and I've also uploaded a copy of the GAC Adventure Writer's Handbook:
:idea: