Manic Miner / JSW1 / JSW2 Combi

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
AndyF

Manic Miner / JSW1 / JSW2 Combi

Post by AndyF » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:39 am

A compilation disc for the BBC Micro combining:

Manic Miner
Jetset Willy
Jetset Willy 2 (both the 'cut down' and the 'full disc' versions)

Note that none of these have any cheats applied, I've merely combined the four disc images from the existing archive, renamed a couple of files (to avoid conflicts) and created a simple selection menu to build this compilation.
mm_jsw1_jsw2_menu.png
mm_jsw1_jsw2_menu.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 862 times
As this file is present here now attached to this topic and on the jswmm site here, appropriate links are in the footer area of the simple selection menu.

combi_mm_jsw1_jsw2mini_jsw2full.ssd
(111.5 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Enjoy :)
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

billcarr2005

Re: Manic Miner / JSW1 / JSW2 Combi

Post by billcarr2005 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 pm

The first file of Jet Set Willy, JETSET should have the graphical details that are displayed within contained after the BASIC program, but unfortunately it's just been SAVEd, so additional data has been lost! :(

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:45 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 pm
The first file of Jet Set Willy, JETSET should have the graphical details that are displayed within contained after the BASIC program, but unfortunately it's just been SAVEd, so additional data has been lost! :(
I think I may be guilty of that as I never quite understood how extra data was present in the Basic ( please bear in mind I 'arrived here' from another platform and it was the mid 90's before I had a real Beeb of my own! :D ) , I'm thinking this along the lines of a cheat version where if I changed the 'Do you want to ...' line to always be 'Y' it would not work properly as there was some 'extra' data in there. :oops:

Having said that the files in the above disc image should work correctly yes ? I did try them at the time, not had any complaints yet. Mind you that does not mean anything I know. If you can 'fix' the image if you wanted to its fine. I had to do a bit of renaming/saving to avoid conflicts at the time with the three JSW variants ( ! ) :D :oops: Did my best. :)
Last edited by AndyF on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:11 pm

AndyF wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:45 pm
Having said that the files in the above disc image should work correctly yes ? I did try them at the time, not had any complaints yet. Mind you that does not mean anything I know. If you can 'fix' the image if you wanted to its fine. I had to do a bit of renaming/saving to avoid conflicts at the time with the three JSW variants ( ! ) :D :oops: Did my best. :)
The game worked correctly, it's just the "TYNESOFT" and "JET SET WILLY" graphics weren't displayed, since they weren't there :)
I've copied the Jet Set Willy files from the original disk, so they have different file names / sizes / addresses anyway.
To maintain the original filenames, I've put them in their own directory "B", since it's option B on the menu. This method could be used for A,C,D also, then the filenames can be retained and it's also easy to see which files belong to which game.
Had to alter the !MENU marginally to set the directory and change the PAGE, as per the original disk.

Deleted the following files - JETSET, JSW1L, JSW1, JSW2
Attachments
combi_mm_jsw1_jsw2mini_jsw2full EDIT.ssd
(115 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by billcarr2005 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Thank you! :)

The reasoning behind no directory structure is the originals did not have it when they were separate discs, so I was slightly concerned about doing this, to be completely honest only JSW2 (the 'full' one) would of likely been a major potential issue as it likes to read in each section of the map as you progress...

I was merely "playing it safe" , albeit at the expense of an untidy disc.

EDIT... And a highly inefficient menu too although I was for that really just in a 'what works with a splash of random colour' rather than neatness, simply as originally it was going to just have a Mode7 one.

EDIT(2)... I've updated the disc on jswmm as well, and provided attribution for your efforts. Thank you. :)
Last edited by AndyF on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 am

I know it isn't the bugfixed version immediately, as the flashing cursor isn't turned off!
And lo, pressing SPACE and the startup screen is broken. Try these: http://mdfs.net/Software/JSW/BBC/

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 am

Bit of a tangent, but speaking of jet set Willy, this site has been busy creating tilemaps of it for pc...

https://simonowen.com/spectrum/tilemap/

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:24 am

jgharston wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 am
I know it isn't the bugfixed version immediately, as the flashing cursor isn't turned off!
billcarr2005 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:11 pm
I've copied the Jet Set Willy files from the original disk, so they have different file names / sizes / addresses anyway.
That might've been a clue also :roll:

And surely the cursor being on isn't a "bug" as such, just an aesthetic choice on the programmer's part to not turn it off? #-o

Always good to get the best possible version presented though =D>

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:18 pm

I did note the cursor on the status panel during gameplay. Are there any effects other than this (as in its purely cosmetic) ?

I did note ages ago on the jswmm site a few oddities with it generally, such as some Spectrum bugs were still present, only by 'design' I guess.
Andy