RisciX tape image.

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
Prime

RisciX tape image.

Post by Prime » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi All,

Here is the data that I extracted from the DC-150 tape, there only seems to be 52MB of data on the tape to extact, it also seems to be stored as an old style cpio archive so you will need cpio -H odc as part of the extraction filename assuming you are using a modern cpio. Extracting from the archive does give a "premature end of archive" error, however there does not seem to be any further data on the tape.

mt status reports EOD, which I understand is end of data.

I've also gzipped the file to make it smaller.

However it's too big to upload here (10mb or so), so I've put it on my dropbox for the time being, note I will remove it at some point so would be good if a copy could be put in the archive.

<link removed until archive has been checked for any personal data>

Cheers.

Phill.

davidb

Re: RisciX tape image.

Post by davidb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Thanks for taking the process through to completion! I've downloaded the image and will take a closer look at it later in the week.

There's a bit of user-specific information in it - home directories and /etc/passwd information, so it might be good to take down the image fairly soon and we can upload a sanitised version later.

Prime

Post by Prime » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 pm

davidb wrote:Thanks for taking the process through to completion! I've downloaded the image and will take a closer look at it later in the week.

There's a bit of user-specific information in it - home directories and /etc/passwd information, so it might be good to take down the image fairly soon and we can upload a sanitised version later.
Indeed, I also noticed a root account with no password!

Cheers.

Phill.

crj

Post by crj » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:43 am

Hmm. If it's not pristine, it's less useful as a historical artefact, and no more useful than any other image for creating installations?

In that spirit, I think I may have a working RISCiX 1.13 installation on an ST506 disc somewhere. Though I'm not entirely sure how I'd inspect the data to check!

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:10 pm

crj wrote:Hmm. If it's not pristine, it's less useful as a historical artefact, and no more useful than any other image for creating installations?
Well, we can still have both. We were more interested in discovering whether the tape contained a different flavour of RISC iX than learning about the people who used it. There's value in knowing something about those people but perhaps we should ask them if they want personal information about themselves made generally available.
crj wrote:In that spirit, I think I may have a working RISCiX 1.13 installation on an ST506 disc somewhere. Though I'm not entirely sure how I'd inspect the data to check!
You should have brought it along! Maybe to the next event. :)

Thanks for taking the box on the next stage of its journey, by the way. :)

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Just to make sure I'm doing things right, here's how I'm invoking cpio:

Code: Select all

cpio -i -H odc --make-directories --no-absolute-filenames < ../File1.cpio
This ends with

cpio: premature end of file
Is that normal? It seems to be part way through a C source file. :?

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Perhaps the backup crashed partway through when it was originally being made?

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm wondering about that. It's possible. On the CD that terjeio passed on to me there's another cpio archive. Extracting both of these and diffing them reveals only minor differences, but the one from the CD doesn't give an error when unpacked.

So it seems that there's not much on the tape that's different to the archive on the CD. :( I should try and make that version available. I was worried that there's still the problem of what to do with the user data but, reading through my old private messages with Terje, he said this about the RISCIX.APP file: "There are no sensitive data on it so that is no issue."

This is what the CD contains:

├── Acorn_ROS310Sup.arc
├── bootstrap.arc
├── Chris's Acorns RISC iX Computers.URL
├── Cloning a RISC iX disc.URL
├── Microcare
│   ├── MAKEDEV
│   ├── MAKEsd1
│   ├── mkarchive
│   ├── mkfloppies
│   ├── mkkernel
│   ├── mksystem
│   └── readme
├── !RISCiX
│   ├── !Boot
│   ├── !orig_Run
│   ├── RISCiXFS
│   ├── RiXFSpr
│   ├── !Run
│   ├── !RunImage
│   ├── sprites
│   ├── !sprites
│   └── templates
├── RISCIX.APP
├── RISCIX.DEV
├── !RISCixDir
│   ├── !run
│   └── !sprites
├── RISCiX.tar
├── ScsiDM
└── SecureBoot
RISCiX.tar is a copy of RISC iX 1.21 from another online source, if I remember correctly.

I guess I should find somewhere to put this. Sorry not to have done so already. :oops: flibble, do you want the image for 4corn?

crj

Post by crj » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 am

davidb wrote:There's value in knowing something about those people but perhaps we should ask them if they want personal information about themselves made generally available.
If one's feeling mischievous, running crack on old passwd files can be illuminating. It's astonishing how infrequently some people change their passwords!
crj wrote:In that spirit, I think I may have a working RISCiX 1.13 installation on an ST506 disc somewhere. Though I'm not entirely sure how I'd inspect the data to check!
You should have brought it along! Maybe to the next event. :)
I didn't know! :-p And there's a risk I sent it to Bletchley. I'll take a look at some point.

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm currently removing some personal information from both the tape image and the image on the CD. I'll then reassemble both and send the data to flibble for the 4corn RISC iX archive. Looks like I'll be learning about cpio today! :lol:

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:12 pm

I've sent the cleaned up versions of the tape image and the one from the CD in flibble's direction, along with the miscellaneous bits from the CD. Hopefully these will satisfy the curiosity of those who wanted to see what a RISC iX 1.13 filesystem looks like. :) I think Boydie expressed an interest in that at the ABUG meeting.

There's no vmunix file in there, however. I wonder if that was stored on the RISC OS partition of the original system.

One project I thought might be interesting for those with the skills and time would be a user space environment for running the RISC iX binaries on a modern Linux/BSD system. That way you wouldn't need an original kernel to be able to experience the fun of late 1980s/early 1990s Unix from the comfort of your modern workstation. :)

crj

Post by crj » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 pm

davidb wrote:One project I thought might be interesting for those with the skills and time would be a user space environment for running the RISC iX binaries on a modern Linux/BSD system. That way you wouldn't need an original kernel to be able to experience the fun of late 1980s/early 1990s Unix from the comfort of your modern workstation. :)
That's an intriguing idea.

The natural home for it would be within the qemu project, especially as it already has ARM and 68k emulation. I will say this quietly, but anyone interested in writing a system call mapping layer for RISCiX would do well to collaborate with people who wanted one for 68030 SunOS 4.0. (-8