could somebody check to see if this version has the "fixed" versions of

M.RepA
G.RepA
G.RepB

O.Robbo
T.Robbo
G.RobboA
G.RobboB

I've checked against the STH version ( here - http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archi ... finity.zip ) and the CRCs are different on all of the files outlined above :)
Attachments
REPTON INFINITY DATA DISC [80 TRACK].zip
(68.6 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
geraldholdsworth

Re: Repton Infinity Data Disc

Post by geraldholdsworth »

Aidan and I have been looking into this. Going by what Richard Hanson told me, and to assume that the Acorn Electron tape version is the fixed version, you can see which are which by looking at Rep3B, screen A, for the row of safes along the top of the screen, in the centre. I have both fixed and unfixed versions of both BBC and Electron screens, and I can confirm that the CRC of the Rep3B on this disc match the fixed BBC version I have.
Attachments
REPTON INFINITY DATA DISC [80 TRACK].csv
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
BBC Micro Repton Infinity.csv
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
aidanthegasman

Post by aidanthegasman »

Hi Bill,
I've taken a look at G.REP3B and it looks to be the correct (uncorrupted) one. Many thanks for posting this. I haven't checked the other files, but it looks like Gerald will be able to verify them for you using his programs.
Best,
Aidan.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:19 am
I have both fixed and unfixed versions of both BBC and Electron screens, and I can confirm that the CRC of the Rep3B on this disc match the fixed BBC version I have.
Curiously M.Rep3A has 3 variants...

STH - M.Rep3A | 000000 | 000000 | 000810 | 034 T05S02 | 42ED1FBA
FSD - M.Rep3A | 000000 | 000000 | 000810 | 034 T05S02 | 35BA0DAF
Gerald's - M.Rep3A | 000000 | 000000 | 000810 | 034 T05S02 | 31FA079D

The version I've imaged is the original untouched disc, so which one is correct?
Perhaps the STH can be disregarded for being the earlier version?
geraldholdsworth

billcarr2005 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am
Perhaps the STH can be disregarded for being the earlier version?
I'll do some more digging and get back to you. I'm comparing my versions with the Acorn Electron tape version which Superior Interactive have told me is the one to go by. Obviously, the Electron files and BBC files are likely to have different CRC32 numbers, so I'll need to physically check the file contents (although the 'M' files should be identical...he says!).

EDIT: The 'M' files are identical between the Electron tape and the BBC version I have, except for the designer name at the beginning. However, there is a slight difference between my BBC M.Rep3A and the one Bill has put up. There's three bytes in the middle of the file. So I have attached what I believe should be the definitive fixed BBC micro version.

EDIT 2: The CRC32 number given from the Electron tape version of the file matches the number on the FSD given here. The only difference (between the Elk version and the same file on the disc attached) is the designer name at the start. So, I'll attach the Elk version too. I also noticed that the image I've attached as an extra file 'E.TOMMYHL'...not sure where that came from. I've also found my original physical copy - although it is not the original one I bought back in the day, as that was a Master Compact version (and was prior to the recall, which I never sent back), as this version is a BBC Micro floppy (and has 3 discs - 2 double sided and 1 single sided).
Attachments
M.Rep3A.zip
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
BBC Micro Repton Infinity.dsd
(240.5 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts »

billcarr2005 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am
Curiously M.Rep3A has 3 variants...

STH - M.Rep3A | 000000 | 000000 | 000810 | 034 T05S02 | 42ED1FBA
FSD - M.Rep3A | 000000 | 000000 | 000810 | 034 T05S02 | 35BA0DAF
Gerald's - M.Rep3A | 000000 | 000000 | 000810 | 034 T05S02 | 31FA079D
I can't quite follow the later posts as to which of these CRC32s is a "fixed" file.

In the original HFE disc archive, we have two major Repton Infinity variants. The first uses the Exile-style disc protection where *CAT doesn't even show an !BOOT on the first disc. I presume this is earlier. The second variant uses a standard visible catalog and weaker copy protection.
Both have M.Rep3A with CRC32 35BA0DAF. So presumably that's the "fixed" one?

I'd love to find an early original Repton Infinity disc and capture it for the original disc archive. Sounds like a fun variant.

Cheers
Chris
geraldholdsworth

scarybeasts wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 am
I can't quite follow the later posts as to which of these CRC32s is a "fixed" file.
I was confusing myself with the different variations of files I have. But I took the Electron tape version to be the proper fixed version, so the M.REP3A in the FSD file, and the one I have attached is this fixed version. I've been putting together images of the various versions that were available (BBC B, BBC Master, Electron on DFS, ADFS and Tape). OK, it may not be an original disc image, but it will be the proper files for each. I could do the same for the earlier version. I also need to check what the version is that I have on physical disc.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

scarybeasts wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:07 am
In the original HFE disc archive, we have two major Repton Infinity variants. The first uses the Exile-style disc protection where *CAT doesn't even show an !BOOT on the first disc. I presume this is earlier. The second variant uses a standard visible catalog and weaker copy protection.
Both have M.Rep3A with CRC32 35BA0DAF. So presumably that's the "fixed" one?

I'd love to find an early original Repton Infinity disc and capture it for the original disc archive. Sounds like a fun variant.

Cheers
Chris
I could be partially or completely misremembering the protection on the Repton Infinity discs, but ISTR that *only* the BBC Master version had the Exile style protection, since it had proven difficult with non Acorn DFSs, ergo the vanilla BBC B version would've been the more standard Superior Software protection.
Furthermore, the Data Disc was always(?) separate, so they could've included either with the different Program Disc variants :?
geraldholdsworth

billcarr2005 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:54 am
Furthermore, the Data Disc was always(?) separate, so they could've included either with the different Program Disc variants :?
Yep, that is certainly the case with the physical copy I have. The data disc is on the other side of the program disc, and they look like 'flippies'.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

I've managed to check the 3 boxed copies that I could find and have found 2 different "sets" of discs. I'll try to get them imaged ASAP - one of them must definitely be the "fixed" version, since it's what I imaged for the FSD

Code: Select all

Box 1
-----
REPTON INFINITY DESIGN A SCREEN COMPETITION (PINK)
REPTON INFINITY PRIZE COMPETITION (BLUE)
REPTON INFINITY CLUES AND MAPS (YELLOW)

Disc 1 (flippy)
REPTON INFINITY GAME DISC BBC MICRO 40/80 TRACK COMPATIBLE
REPTON INFINITY GAME DISC BBC MASTER 40/80 TRACK COMPATIBLE

Disc 2
REPTON INFINITY DATA DISC All Data Files 80 TRACK COMPATIBLE 

Disc 3 (flippy)
REPTON INFINITY DATA DISC G. Game Files 40 TRACK COMPATIBLE 
REPTON INFINITY DATA DISC E. M. T. O. S Data Files 40 TRACK COMPATIBLE  

-----
Box 2
-----