30th Anniversary BBC and Electron Collection

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
Michael Brown

Re: 30th Anniversary BBC and Electron Collection

Post by Michael Brown »

Created in March 2021... here is Games Disc 156.
Disc156.zip
(123.29 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
The disc is called Disc156.dsd so it can be loaded into a Datacentre on a real BBC without having to rename it.

The 18 games on this disc include...

Duel (AKA Dual) (2P) from Popular Computing Weekly.
Horseman (E) from Electron Computing (#6).
Parachute Drop by Michael Foot.
Sliding-Block Puzzle from Popular Computing Weekly.
Derek And The Pooclear Waste (V1.0) by Sad Ken.
Mystery Of The Java Star (C) (STD) from Shards Software.
Trickysoft PacMan (C/B) from Retro Software.
Beat The Odds (E) from Electron Computing (#2).
Rubik's Cube by Public Domain ???
Horse Race from Pan Books Ltd.
Fruit Machine from Which Micro? & Software Review.
Word Puzzle from Popular Computing Weekly.
Asteroids by Richard Broadhurst.
Sniper by Michael Foot.
Maze Game from Acorn User (#078).
Contract Bridge (E) from Electron Computing (#4).
Master Word (2P) from The Disk User (Issue 13).
Outbreak by 0XC0DE.

NOTE: Horseman, Beat The Odds and Contract Bridge are Electron titles that seem to work OK on a BBC Micro.
Also, Mystery Of The Java Star has been compacted using PRES Advanced BASIC Editor in order to allow it to work correctly from disc at &1300 instead of &E00. It now allows you to save completion of Part 1 and Part 2 to disc (if you wish), which can then be loaded to skip those parts next time.
Lastly, Trickysoft PacMan requires both CTRL and BREAK pressing together to prevent the computer from locking. Also, it does not work under emulation with BeebEm 4.14 or lower and has a detection routine built in. It works normally with BeebEm 4.15, B-em 2.2 and on a real BBC Micro.

EASTER EGGS: If you press ESCAPE during some of the loaders and instructions, then you can skip to loading the game... This only works on Mystery Of The Java Star.

All original filenames have been kept where possible, but some have been changed where they conflict with the limitations of the Disc Filing System. Copy protection routines have been removed.
This disc has also been checked for *KEY related issues and is OK.

Enjoy!
Mick.

Disc 157 will be out next month!
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,
Just re-posted Disc082 in Section 5 as I have now been able to include the correct version of Backgammon. I have now transferred the tape version from The Micro User 2.05 in 1984. I had it down as an Alternative release but now believe Alternative never released this, unless anyone knows differently.

Mick.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Michael Brown wrote:
Mon May 11, 2015 12:58 pm
here is Games Disc 021 ... Disc021.zip ... Disc021.dsd ... Elite (STD) (D) from Acornsoft Limited ... Elite is the disc version
Looks like you might have the buggy version of the first disc release (SNG38) of Elite there.

More details, plus a hacked/fixed disc-image, on another thread:

viewtopic.php?p=316545#p316545

:idea:
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,
Just re-posted Disc021 in Section 3 as I have now included the bug free version of Elite thanks to Lurkio.
At the same time, I have added the instructions from the HCW mag #122 to Robot Ronnie. Also, I have corrected a few errors in the game listing.

Also, I have now re-posted Disc022 in Section 3 as I have now included the instructions from the HCW mag #111 for Quad Wrangle.
At the same time I have included some instructions for Creatures of the Deep taken from various magazine adverts.

Also, I have now re-posted Disc023 in Section 3 as I have now corrected some mistakes with Maze Mauler from HCW.
At the same time I have included some instructions for Space Pilot Test from various magazine adverts.

Also, I have now re-posted Disc024 in Section 3 as I have included some instructions for Space rescue from various magazine adverts.

Also, I have now re-posted Disc028 and Disc029 in Section 3 as I have now added instructions to Greenham Common and Quasimodo from HCW mag scans.

Also, I have now re-posted Disc033 in Section 3 as I have now added instructions to Wall Destroyer from HCW mag scans. Also, amended the code and the deflector is now printed properly instead of random characters.

Also, I have now re-posted Disc034 in Section 3 as I have also been able to add the correct mag listing to Q*Bert's Revenge. Also amended some code that was incorrect.

Also, I have now re-posted Disc035 in Section 3 as I have now added instructions to Bouncing Benny from HCW mag scans.

Lastly, I have now re-posted Disc042 in Section 3 as I have now added instructions to Ribbet from HCW mag scans.
At the same time I have added instructions to Maelstrom from The Disk User from mag scans.

Mick.
Last edited by Michael Brown on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

Michael Brown wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:37 pm
Hi All,
Just re-posted Disc021 in Section 3 as I have now included the bug free version of Elite thanks to Lurkio.
Bug free, but ELITE3 is 512 bytes too large, with code from who knows where!
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

billcarr2005 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:21 pm
Michael Brown wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:37 pm
Bug free, but ELITE3 is 512 bytes too large, with code from who knows where!
But that seems to be the same ELITE3 that appears on my hack which I uploaded to bbcmicro.co.uk: when I asked you if there was anything wrong with it, you said no!

:?:
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

At the time, I didn't believe there was anything wrong... but later that day, I was hacking around with the HFE and discovered more about the general layout / location of the data used in ELITE3 and ELITE4, as noted here :)

viewtopic.php?p=316872#p316872
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

billcarr2005 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:31 pm
I was hacking around with the HFE and discovered more about the general layout / location of the data used in ELITE3 and ELITE4, as noted here :) viewtopic.php?p=316872#p316872
That other thread is rather complicated. So could you please point me to a version of ELITE3 that you think is preferable to the one that's currently on the "Elite [disc]" .SSD at bbcmicro.co.uk? I can then copy it over.

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

lurkio wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:22 pm
That other thread is rather complicated. So could you please point me to a version of ELITE3 that you think is preferable to the one that's currently on the "Elite [disc]" .SSD at bbcmicro.co.uk? I can then copy it over.

Attachments
Disc021-EliteD.zip
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Thanks. Uploaded.

:idea:
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Thanks gain to everyone who has sorted Elite.
I have now re-posted D021 again in Section 3 with the correct files.

regards,
Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,
Just re-posted Disc052 in Section 4 as I have now fixed a sound error with Farmer Jo from HCW mag listing.
The tune stopped playing after a few seconds of gameplay and made a loud continuous tone.
There were errors in the FARMER file with data at lines 1120 and 1130 that are for the tune. And the MAIN file at line 890 which should have been ?&70 MOD 47. Also added full instructions from the mag.

Also, re-posted Disc053 in Section 4 as I have now added instructions to Space Debris from HCW mag listing.

Also, re-posted Disc055 in Section 4 as I have now corrected the text for Destron to match that from HCW mag listing.

Also, re-posted Disc056 in Section 4 as I have now corrected an error at line 1610 in Difendor from HCW mag listing.

Also, re-posted Disc057 in Section 4 as I corrected various errors with Chicken Feed from HCW mag listing. The Farmer now moves from right to left across the top of the screen instead of being stuck over on the right. A glitch with the high score is also sorted.

Also, re-posted Disc058 in Section 4 as I have amended the instructions to Dauntless Dave from HCW mag listing.

Also, re-posted Disc061 in Section 4 as I have corrected some text for Helicopter from the HCW mag listing.

Also, re-posted Disc02 in Section 4 as I have corrected a error in the data at line 1430 in Invert from the HCW mag listing.

Lastly, I have re-posted Disc0-64 in Section 4 as I have added instructions to Stupid Cupid from the HCW mag listing.

regards,
Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,
After checking through some more HCW mags, I have amended some more games and also added instructions from the mag listings to those that did not have any.

Re-posted Disc066 in Section 5 after correcting errors with Boot Hill.
Re-posted Disc068 in Section 5 after correcting the instructions to Splurge.
Re-posted Disc069 in Section 5 after correcting errors with Fall Out. Also added instructions.
Re-posted Disc070 in Section 5 after correcting errors with Duck Shoot and adding instructions to Duck Shoot and Wacky Bats.

regards,
Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,
After checking through some more HCW mags, I have amended some more games and also added instructions from the mag listings to those that did not have any.

Re-posted Disc072 in Section 5 after adding instructions to Grand Prix.
Re-posted Disc074 in Section 5 after adding instructions to Snakes & Ladders.
Re-posted Disc076 in Section 5 after correcting text with Spiders & Ladders.
Re-posted Disc078 in Section 5 after correcting text with Badd Egg.
Re-posted Disc079 in Section 5 after correcting data in the tune to Father Christmas and adding instructions from the mag.
Re-posted Disc087 in Section 5 after correcting errors with Swimming and adding instructions from the mag.

regards,
Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Created in April 2021... here is Games Disc 157.
Disc157.zip
(92.32 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
The disc is called Disc157.dsd so it can be loaded into a Datacentre on a real BBC without having to rename it.

The 18 games on this disc include...

Hurles from Popular Computing Weekly.
Beebtrek from PCW Software.
Krazy Ape II (E) from Personal Computing Today.
Nightmare Park by Dick/Steve.
Zap (AKA Space Battle) from IJK Software Ltd.
One Armed Bandit from Acorn Programs (Vol.6).
Astro Blaster from Acorn User Software.
Hyper Combat (2P) from Personal Computing Today.
Mastermind from Popular Computing Weekly.
Invaders (36 Challenging Games) from Interface Publications.
Entrapment (2P) (Hack of Snake) by Jon Welch/Acornsoft.
Mars Mission from Acorn User Software.
Galactic Intruders (OS1.2) from Cosma/Software For All.
Simon Numbers (E) from Electron Computing (#3).
Elementum (V1.04) from Retro Power.
Flying Fingers from The Micro User (4.11).
Snake Shoot by Michael Foot.
3-D Maze (Grafpak) from Acorn User Software.

NOTE: Krazy Ape II is an Electron title that has been amended to run on a BBC Micro.
Also, Zap was originally a Joystick only game, but a Keyboard version has been created and included as well and and you can choose which version you want to play.
Also, Galactic Intruders seems to be an old OS1.0 or an old BASIC1 game. It has been amended to run under OS1.2 but the graphics have had to be changed slightly from the original version to accomplish this.
Lastly, Simon Numbers is an Electron title that seem to work OK on a BBC Micro.

EASTER EGGS: If you press ESCAPE during some of the loaders and instructions, then you can skip to loading the game... This only works on Flying Fingers.

All original filenames have been kept where possible, but some have been changed where they conflict with the limitations of the Disc Filing System. Copy protection routines have been removed.
This disc has also been checked for *KEY related issues and is OK.

Enjoy!
Mick.

Disc 158 will be out soon!
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,

Re-posted Disc109 in Section 9 after fixing a error with the listing to Alien Fallout where there should be a gap between the names in the high score table which were printed in the mag, but missing from the game. See below.
Re-posted Disc121 in Section 14 after adding instructions to Chocky Egg. Also removing the old ones which were not part of the mag listing.

It looks like many of Shingo Sugiura's games featured a high score table and those that did featured the same one. However, looking through various listings by various magazines, it looks like 2 issues of HCW missed vital " ' ",s between "Hall of Fame", "Today's Greatest" and each name in the table which make the high score table scroll the full screen area and should not just be squashed at the top half.
All games in my collection have been checked and there were just 2 games where this error occurred, both in the HCW mag listings. It may be that whoever typed it in at the mag missed the " ' " by not knocking their importance, or the scan did not pick them up.
Anyway...
Re-posted Disc052 in Section 4 after correcting the high score table on Farmer 'Jo'.
Re-posted Disc055 in Section 4 after correcting the high score table on Destron.
regards,
Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,
After checking through the final set of HCW mags, I have amended the last of the HCW games and also added instructions from the mag listings to those that did not have any.

Re-posted Discs 123 and 125 in Section 14 after adding instructions to Star Fighter and Victorian Peg.
Re-posted Discs 130 and 134 in Section 17 after amending Pucman and adding instructions to Nightdrive.
Re-posted Discs 135 and 136 in Section 18 after adding instructions to Camel Race and Greyhound Derby Stakes.
Re-posted Discs 143 and 145 in Section 20 after adding instructions to Simonn and Tron.
Re-posted Discs 147 and 148 in Section 21 after amending Skyline/Bomer and Saurus Island and adding instructions to Hidden Numbers.
Finally...
Re-posted Disc153 in Section 22 after adding instructions to Rudolph's Nose.

I now believe that all HCW games now match their mag listings, except where amended due to bugs. Also all now feature instructions either in-game or from the mag listing or both.
regards,
Mick.

Return to “archive submissions”