ROMs from Graham Toal

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
Pernod

ROMs from Graham Toal

Post by Pernod » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:14 pm

This is a collection of ROMs from ex-Acorn employee Graham Toal (via the Facebook group).

I've removed any duplicates and obvious bad dumps, though there are still many unknowns amongst them. Very few look to be official releases and many look to be development versions or pre-releases.

Some of the more interesting ROMs are:
DFS0.9x – possibly development versions, though a 0.9H has been seen to be official with a Torch label.
IEEEFS0.01 – earlier version than those already known.
fsfs1.25, fsmos3.62 - Filestore
hostfs-0.21 – Unix/RS423
PrestelTrial4.71r - a trial version
Workstation100-1.0 – earlier version
Softlife-eprom-programmer – looks to be BASIC but without ROM header
tube6502 - 6502 TUBE 0.04
ViewFiler0.2 – what is this?
tfs0.31 – earlier version
NFS3.34B – different version
unixterm0.14 - UNIX Terminal Emulator
z80-2.00.4k – Z80 TUBE 2.00, usual version is 1.20
Attachments
ROMs_GrahamToal.zip
(861.06 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Last edited by Pernod on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

gtoal

Re: ROMs from Graham Toal

Post by gtoal » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for going through the images and sorting out what was worth posting. I've also found the source code for the unix/rs423 rom - that is a terminal rom that embeds data in the terminal stream (a terrible mix of OSI networking layers!) to implement a filing system. So you would log on to the unix at the start of the day from your Beeb, and sit there at a shell prompt, but whenever you wanted to transfer a file you could load/save from the beeb to the 'hostfs' file system. It was implemented similar to the *tape filing system since it was a slow serial device, but enough FS calls were implemented so that it could be used by Panos, and we made sure that Panos didn't issue any calls that were not implemented by the serial FS.

The terminal rom included some extensions to the VDU protocol to perform dithering on triangle fills, which was used in the Beeb-based VLSI editor that I wrote. It also had an extension for the unix to read the joystick or mouse x,y data. It had simple text cursor addressing but wasn't attempting to be an accurate emulation of anything such as a VT100. (Somewhere in my disk images I have source for another terminal program I wrote that accurately emulated an ELBIT)

The rs423/unix hostfs isn't the same system as the later hostfs written by Jonathan Harston which implements the tube protocol over a serial line - that's probably a better way to do it truth be told. Didn't think of that at the time :-)

Another piece of software I've subsequently found (but haven't yet extracted from the floppy disk image) is a patch to a specific dfs+nfs rom, which tweaks it to support 77 track 8in disks! I suspect there are not many of those drives left around, I've certainly lost mine. If I remember rightly, the patch tweaked the NMI timings.

Graham

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:54 pm

gtoal wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:46 pm
Another piece of software I've subsequently found (but haven't yet extracted from the floppy disk image) is a patch to a specific dfs+nfs rom, which tweaks it to support 77 track 8in disks! I suspect there are not many of those drives left around, I've certainly lost mine. If I remember rightly, the patch tweaked the NMI timings.
That's interesting given a recent discussion on here about 8" discs: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17803

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:02 pm

This is a great find! The FileStore code version 1.25 seems to bear out my theory that it was based on the Level 3 file server (latest version known 1.24) and Acorn probably carried on the same numbering.

A bit of "Edit" seems to have crept into the end of that file - it has the text referring to Descriptive mode. Dunno whether that just indicates a short image/spare bytes at the end of the FileStore ROM or if something has gone wrong.

gtoal

Post by gtoal » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:53 pm

Coeus wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:54 pm
gtoal wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:46 pm
That's interesting given a recent discussion on here about 8" discs: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17803
I'll make a point of letting those guys know when I upload the 8in DFS rom. I would have done it by now but had a hard drive problem and am not powering it up again until I make a backup and the new drive for the backup doesn't arrive until coming Monday.

G