How to create an hdf file in windows from an ADFS HD

discuss emulators of 32-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
AcornKarma

How to create an hdf file in windows from an ADFS HD

Post by AcornKarma » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi all,

I am now in a position to get a RISCPC ADFS IDE disc viewable by my Win10 PC SATA system.
I have RPCEmu installed, I understand that it can read hard disc image files (hd4.hdf & hd5.hdf).
Now the challenge is, how to make an .hdf file of the ADFS disc, using Windoze that can then be read by the RPCEmu.

Can I make the hdf file with ADFS and all the associated filetypes intact?
Do I really need to do this using Linux?

Regards,
Ian

IanS

Re: How to create an hdf file in windows from an ADFS HD

Post by IanS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:35 pm

AcornKarma wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:40 pm
I am now in a position to get a RISCPC ADFS IDE disc viewable by my Win10 PC SATA system.
I have RPCEmu installed, I understand that it can read hard disc image files (hd4.hdf & hd5.hdf).
Now the challenge is, how to make an .hdf file of the ADFS disc, using Windoze that can then be read by the RPCEmu.

Can I make the hdf file with ADFS and all the associated filetypes intact?
Do I really need to do this using Linux?
You should be able to take a raw image copy with something like https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

AcornKarma

Post by AcornKarma » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:43 am

Thanks IanS :-)

There seem to be two candidate processes:

1. PC. Use Win32 Disk Imager, then Hugo Fiennes code (resolved into a PC version - !fiximage) to prepend a working boot block for the hdf's usage with RPCEmu

2. Linux: dd command

My target is to get the disc(s) up using RPCEmu.

My next question (hopefully my last ;-)) is the bootblock. Why is one needed for the PC route but not the Linux route. Or is something needed for the Linux route?

Actually, I should get experimenting this evening. Done preparations but family duties took over, else it would have been a good Sunday project ;-).

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:26 am

AcornKarma wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:43 am
My next question (hopefully my last ;-)) is the bootblock. Why is one needed for the PC route but not the Linux route. Or is something needed for the Linux route?
I don't know why the bootblock is needed for the Windows route. Maybe Win32 Disk Imager doesn't get the first 512 bytes? Maybe someone else can say. I haven't used Windows for the best part of two decades.

I don't remember having to prepend 512 bytes to my A7000+ image, having used dd on Linux to get it. However, I did have to modify a copy of it so that it would boot, using Dominic Holton's byte-swapping approach mentioned here: Using IDE image in RPCEmu. I wrote a small Python script that I run on a copy of my disk image to swap the bytes whenever I need to access it, keeping the original copy pristine.

SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:33 pm

RPCemu, and Arculator pre-v2.0, need a dummy 512 byte header on the front of hard disc images. This is one of my stupid bugs from circa 2006, and I'm a bit embarrassed that it's still causing problems!

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”