Arculator v2.0 released!

discuss emulators of 26-bit acorn systems e.g. arculator and rpcemu
jpagen

Re: Arculator v2.0 released!

Post by jpagen » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:20 pm

Andy1979 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:21 am
Have you tried formatting the card in the A3000 first, taking an image of the formatted card and then using that in Arculator? Might stand a better chance of working when you copy back to the card that way.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I only have a Pi Zero which I use to emulate Tube on my BBC Model B.

I tried formatting the card in the A3000 previously using !HFORM.
I still need to do a 'quick' FAT32 format on the SD card after writing the image back, before the A3000 will see the partitions on the card but some of the files are corrupted.
I should add that after a while, the A3000 stops seeing the partitions that it could access previously.

I have done this using different SD cards with the same outcome.

Perhaps this is an issue with the SD Card interface, which there are a lot of other threads about so I should probably post to one of those instead. My interface card has the FC1307A chip. I have ordered a CompactFlash interface so will post an update on a more appropriate thread when I have received and tried that approach.

Thanks again,

Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:32 pm

jpagen wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:20 pm
I tried formatting the card in the A3000 previously using !HFORM.
I still need to do a 'quick' FAT32 format on the SD card after writing the image back, before the A3000 will see the partitions on the card but some of the files are corrupted.
I should add that after a while, the A3000 stops seeing the partitions that it could access previously.

I have done this using different SD cards with the same outcome.

Perhaps this is an issue with the SD Card interface, which there are a lot of other threads about so I should probably post to one of those instead. My interface card has the FC1307A chip. I have ordered a CompactFlash interface so will post an update on a more appropriate thread when I have received and tried that approach.
I've never tried an SD card interface in my A3010 as I already owned a few small capacity (128/256mb) Compact Flash cards that worked.

I didn't have much luck with an IDE to SD card adapter in my Pentium or Pentium III retro systems - I had corruption issues similar to those you have described, but in Windows 95/98. Ended up buying 'industrial' class CF cards instead.

Have read elsewhere that, at least for onboard IDE, you need one of the SD readers with two chips rather than one. Those are older and harder to find.

Best of luck. Sounds like we are trying to do something similar - have access to our files/games/applications from both emulator and the original hardware.

anightin

Post by anightin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi There,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great work that has gone into Arculator 2.0 -- massive update from 0.99 =D>

I'm using it to test a couple of .hdf images created for the Archimedes MiSTer Core which also uses the same format on an A3020.

The process/plan I have at the moment is a little clunky but one that seems to work:

1) HFORM a CF card on a Pi running RISCOS5
2) Configure Arculator with the MiSTer hdf image
3) Create a Spark archive of the .hdf contents in HostFS folder
4) Transfer Folder files over to Pi using an SD card (I have a dual CF and SD card USB reader that works on my Pi)
5) Transfer the archive folder contents over to CF
6) Install the CF in the A3020
7) Test files :)

Some things I noticed along the way: :?

1) The Arculator threw an exception reading the .hdf but otherwise correctly identified it and allowed me to carry on through the error
2) I ran out of memory running SparkFS on the Arculator A3020 until I configured it from 2MB to 4MB
2) The file transfers went okay for a while then I started to get 'Archive is Read Only' errors
3) I rebooted the PC and ran Arculator as Administrator instead -- so far so good.

Keep up the great work :D

anightin

Post by anightin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:19 am

anightin wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:33 pm
Hi There,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great work that has gone into Arculator 2.0 -- massive update from 0.99 =D>

I'm using it to test a couple of .hdf images created for the Archimedes MiSTer Core which also uses the same format on an A3020.

The process/plan I have at the moment is a little clunky but one that seems to work:

1) HFORM a CF card on a Pi running RISCOS5
2) Configure Arculator with the MiSTer hdf image
3) Create a Spark archive of the .hdf contents in HostFS folder
4) Transfer Folder files over to Pi using an SD card (I have a dual CF and SD card USB reader that works on my Pi)
5) Transfer the archive folder contents over to CF
6) Install the CF in the A3020
7) Test files :)

Some things I noticed along the way: :?

1) The Arculator threw a debug exception reading the .hdf but otherwise correctly identified it and allowed me to carry on through the error
2) I ran out of memory running SparkFS on the Arculator A3020 until I configured it from 2MB to 4MB
2) The file transfers went okay for a while then I started to get 'Archive is Read Only' errors
3) I rebooted the PC and ran Arculator as Administrator instead -- so far so good.

Keep up the great work :D
One other thing I also noticed is that the HDF files get corrupted on exit from Arculator so I have backups now that I recycle on each boot.
I've logged an issue on the MiSTer Git site but I suspect there will need to be some collaboration to resolve this :wink: :
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Archie ... /issues/11

As an update to the above I've managed now to extract the HDF contents onto 512MB ADFS formatted CF cards so just waiting for the dual 44 pin CF module to arrive now in the post before I can try it.

Here are the images sitting in RiscOSDirect after transfer:
Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 09.22.11.png

Return to “32-bit acorn emulators”