Looking for testers for .adf/.hdf image reader in Java

ask about 32-bit emulators like ArcEm, Red Squirrel, Arculator or RPCEmu here
hubersn

Looking for testers for .adf/.hdf image reader in Java

Post by hubersn » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi,

I am currently working on a tool (written in Java, so only for Linux, Windows and MacOS and unfortunately not for RISC OS unless someone ports a current Java version!) to read filecore-formatted image files (.adf, .hdf, D/E/F format along with + variants) and extract files and directories to the host filing system. It is an ideal companion for e.g. RPCEmu to have a quick look into images and extract stuff into the HostFS, or to put content of images onto your network share to access it from your physical RISC OS machine.

Limitations include non-handling of files with load/exec address, the absence of proper error handling, the fact that the whole image must be loaded into memory (so you need a lot of main memory and patience for those multi-gigabyte harddisc images), lack of a meaningful progress indicator beyond a wait cursor, and probably a lot of other things.

The tool currently has a command line interface and a (simple) graphical user interface.

If you are experienced in running Java-based software on Windows and/or Linux and/or MacOS (the tool is not yet nicely packaged up, just a runnable Jar and two start scripts, so you need to know how to integrate the Java runtime correctly into your system and it is of advantage to know usual parameters e.g. for memory parametrization of the JVM) and have some filecore images ready to check, please mail me (or send a private message here or reply to this post in the forum).

Please note that I have not yet decided how this tool (working name: FilecoreImageReader) will be distributed once properly finished and tested. It might end up as a commercial or shareware or donationware piece of software. So if you are unhappy to invest your time in testing a tool that might end up being non-free, please do not apply.

If you just want to say "Hey, I would be interested in such a tool and a cool feature would be abc", please do not hesitate to tell me.

Have fun
hubersn

shawty

Re: Looking for testers for .adf/.hdf image reader in Java

Post by shawty » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 pm

If it's on GitHub I'll pull it and take a look.

Probably at the weekend or something.
Been around I.T. since the Beeb was born, maybe you've seen me around :D

hubersn

Post by hubersn » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:09 pm

shawty wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Nothing on GitHub for now, as I am undecided about its future - I am thinking about a nice small simple restricted free version and a commercial version with all the cool features.

You can download a pre-beta-test-version from here (there are some known bugs - an endless loop when reading a specific image, failure to extract files which reside at the end of an image - still debugging...):

https://www.huber-net.de/riscos/Filecor ... _0.4.0.zip

Although named "Windows", you can use the runnable jar inside on Linux or MacOS or wherever you find a capable JRE (Java 1.7 at least). For convenience, Windows users find two batch files to start it :-)

Have fun
hubersn

shawty

Post by shawty » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:16 pm

hubersn wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:09 pm
shawty wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Nothing on GitHub for now, as I am undecided about its future - I am thinking about a nice small simple restricted free version and a commercial version with all the cool features.

You can download a pre-beta-test-version from here (there are some known bugs - an endless loop when reading a specific image, failure to extract files which reside at the end of an image - still debugging...):

https://www.huber-net.de/riscos/Filecor ... _0.4.0.zip

Although named "Windows", you can use the runnable jar inside on Linux or MacOS or wherever you find a capable JRE (Java 1.7 at least). For convenience, Windows users find two batch files to start it :-)

Have fun
hubersn
Kewl, I'll take a look probably over the weekend as I say.

I have a number of ADFS floppy images, and I have my old A5000 hard drives imaged too :-)
Been around I.T. since the Beeb was born, maybe you've seen me around :D