Cheese Wedges modern art or useful

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Elminster

Cheese Wedges modern art or useful

Post by Elminster » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Anyone come up with novel uses of Teletext or Prestel Cheese Wedges?

Only things I can think of is:

- Use as donor box for co-pro or some other expansion
- Nail it too the wall and call it art.

Duncan

Elminster

Re: Cheese Wedges modern art or useful

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:09 am

Bump.

I now have received both a Prestel and Teletext cheese wedge.

Only tested the prestel one and it dials out. Not sure if any viewdata type 1200/75 BBS still about. I dont believe the couple mentioned on STH are 1200/75 although not tried.

Not sure what you could do with teletext being illegal to start broadcasting your own TV channel with teletex, apart from the Amateur radio stuff but this box would 'see' those frequency's.

So not real ideas what I can do with these apart from seel them on or gut them as donors for some other project.

sydney

Post by sydney » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:20 am

Elminster wrote:Bump.

I now have received both a Prestel and Teletext cheese wedge.

Only tested the prestel one and it dials out. Not sure if any viewdata type 1200/75 BBS still about. I dont believe the couple mentioned on STH are 1200/75 although not tried.

Not sure what you could do with teletext being illegal to start broadcasting your own TV channel with teletex, apart from the Amateur radio stuff but this box would 'see' those frequency's.

So not real ideas what I can do with these apart from seel them on or gut them as donors for some other project.
It you do decide to sell them on I'd be interested in one of them, purely as a case for my matchbox copro and possibly my raspberry pi - if I ever get round to connecting it up to my beeb!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:31 am

Noted. I may get rid of one or both if I cant think of anything to do with them or no one comes up with their own TV station.

But if I get rid of any you are first on the list. [Caveat unless I forget, which is always possible.]

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:58 am

If you have a satellite dish that can point at 19.2e you will receive plenty of German channels that still have teletext. I'm not sure how it is encoded over the air but on the SCART/RF outputs it comes out as good old fashioned teletext.

I still have no idea why the UK abandoned teletext. I used it regularly, the new slow crappy childish replacement is all but unusable unless you're the sort who sticks your tongue and use your finger to read...

Oh and you need to be able to read German and want to meet like minded hausfraus in your area

D

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:37 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:If you have a satellite dish that can point at 19.2e you will receive plenty of German channels that still have teletext. I'm not sure how it is encoded over the air but on the SCART/RF outputs it comes out as good old fashioned teletext.
The main Norwegian channels still use teletext, or at least the ones over cable do. I wouldn't know about the digital ones.
dominicbeesley wrote:I still have no idea why the UK abandoned teletext. I used it regularly, the new slow crappy childish replacement is all but unusable unless you're the sort who sticks your tongue and use your finger to read...
I still don't understand why the more recent "analogue" sets couldn't just cache all the pages in the background and then provide instant viewing. Memory is cheap: it's not 1980 any more!
dominicbeesley wrote:Oh and you need to be able to read German and want to meet like minded hausfraus in your area
That would break the election campaigning monotony: "Mr Farage, does your wife still use teletext?" :lol:

george.h

Post by george.h » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:51 pm

paulb wrote:it's not 1980 any more!
:shock: It's not! Why did no one tell me!?!?!?! #-o

:lol:
Pic Caption: "One day son, this will all be yours..."

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:12 pm

So I need to move to Germany or Norway and learn to read the native language. Simple enough.

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Or get one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/camping-and-c ... AiY88P8HAQ

You can pick up a surprising number of satellites given enough patience to find them and point the wobbly dish at them...not included in the package are the bits of fag packet and cellotape you need to make it not wobble around in the wind...

My main satellite at home has a motorised dish and digital channels - most non uk ones have teletext still and it comes through in the video signal and can be picked up by a standard telly on a modulator or scart. I got it to watch the F1 live on German telly - never again, adverts cutting in every 5 minutes.

On a more on-topic note there are a few projects simmering away to make teletext modulators so you can add your own teletext. I looked at it a while back and it should be fairly easy to get the signal to ride on a standard composite signal - then all you need are a few back-end scripts to take xml/html from your favourite news sites and convert to mode 7 graphics...

D

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Sounds worth a look. So possibilities for the teletext cheese then.

I think trying to use a Prestel modem would be like watching paint dry. More inclined to try and get a modern modem to run of the serial port at 19k or hack it to run off the user port at higher speed.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Reuse the case for a BeebSID?

Mark

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:06 pm

1024MAK wrote:Reuse the case for a BeebSID?

Mark
You been spying on me?

I finished soldering up Beebsid (that I bought 3 years ago) at 4am this morning. Then noticed that I had solder the LM7805 and LM7809 the wrong way around. look the same at that time of the morning. Swap them around tonight and make a cable.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Spying? :o Who, me :?: Well now you suspect me, best I come clean #-o

I have hacked a range of retro computers to communicate your every move via a new emerging mains transmission radio communication protocol. In addition Dalek viewing eyes have been deployed at various well hidden locations to enable multi-spectrum 4D monitoring including in the visual, infrared and UV light bands.

I know all your secrets Mr Bond, err sorry Master Elminster.

Please pay by the PayMeLotsOfMoneyNow$ service, £10 million bits by midnight tonight or I will reveal all about your secret new reverse BeebSID that plays all songs in reverse. Ooh, whoops :!: :oops: I've let the cat out of the bag.

You must still pay me or I will reveal all about something else <reaches for Betamax tape recording in large card box box marked super modern high tech>...

Mark

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Must have been why K9 was hanging around at the NCC at Bletchley last weekend. Not to mention the dancing robot. Kept the kids amused anyway while I nipped off to the 80's Retro bits and had a sneaky go at Bart on the Amiga.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:51 am

1024MAK wrote:Reuse the case for a BeebSID?

Mark
Swapped components around, made up cable and blow me the beebsid I bought as bits 3 years ago is working. Now if only I had a case to put it in .........

george.h

Post by george.h » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:58 am

Elminster wrote:Swapped components around, made up cable and blow me the beebsid I bought as bits 3 years ago is working. Now if only I had a case to put it in .........
Quicker than a British Leyland production line..... when including the industrial action.... :wink:
Pic Caption: "One day son, this will all be yours..."

thedark

Post by thedark » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:04 am

if you can miss out two of them.
so i can build my teletext adaptor in it and my midi interface i would be happy to take two from your hands.
if you want to sell or give for that matter.

regards
-------------------------------------------------------------
-=[[ Music 5000 Stil Rulez On The Acorn Scene. ]]=-

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:59 pm

thedark wrote:if you can miss out two of them.
so i can build my teletext adaptor in it and my midi interface i would be happy to take two from your hands.
if you want to sell or give for that matter.

regards
Sydney already first dibs on one, I guess that gives you first refusal on the second. Assuming I sell them. I will probably get rid of the prestel one, not sure on the teletext one yet. But want to play with them both a bit first just to make sure.

thedark

Post by thedark » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:37 pm

ah.
okey.
but it wassent me to do for the hardware it self.
i have the teletext adapter my self only no piece of cheese case #-o
and i have a cool midi interfase without a case but fits nicely in sutch a case.
thats why i asked.

mabe there ar more people who has some laying around for collecting the dust somewhere :lol:

regards
-=[[ Music 5000 Stil Rulez On The Acorn Scene. ]]=-

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:49 pm

No problem. Was just trying to work out if I could do anything useful with them. Would kick myself if got rid of them and could use them for something. Will bear all in mind if/when I get rid of.

blackwitch

Post by blackwitch » Sat May 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi I have a project for one... in fact two if you happened to want to sell any.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Ah ha. You missed on your 'Weclome' post where I said I had already got rid of them. Sorry.

blackwitch

Post by blackwitch » Sat May 09, 2015 12:37 pm

lol.. oh yes. Sorry. :)

Thanks all the same :)

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Sat May 23, 2015 5:05 am

Hi,

I've just got a Teletext cheese wedge, not really sure what I can do with it either, but . . . . . .

I have a distribution amplifier in my house that distributes TV signals around the house. (These days, it's mostly digital, but I have a few CCTV cameras that I still have on an analogue channel.)

What I was wondering was whether it would be possible to use a PC to generate some text pages, probably from Internet data, but the content is the least of the problems! The challenge would be to format the data and inject the text signal onto the one of the analogue channels that I'm using.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this subject ?
Is the idea feasible?
If so, any thoughts on what I'd need to make it work?

Regards
Dave

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat May 23, 2015 7:31 am

Hi Dave,

Have a google for:
vbi teletext inserter

This looked possibly relevant:
https://code.google.com/p/vbit/
and
http://teastop.co.uk/vbit-pi/index.html

Dave

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat May 23, 2015 9:39 am

Hi Dave

Yes, it is possible to generate conventional standard teletext pages.

Somewhere there is a small group who have done this. I don't have a link though. It may well be the people who Dave (Hoglet) linked to above.

Also if you have a motorised satellite dish and suitable satellite receiver, you should still be able to find conventional standard teletext on some of the overseas channels. As far as I know, no UK broadcaster transmits conventional standard teletext any more.

This is not due to any technical reason with the digital broadcast specifications, but because they did not want to spend money maintaining or updating the conventional standard teletext equipment.

Mark

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Sun May 24, 2015 1:55 am

Thanks guys,

That bit stuff looks interestng,
I'll check it out

Regards
Dave

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”