UMI 2B Sequencer for BBC

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
julianw

UMI 2B Sequencer for BBC

Post by julianw » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi all,

I recently purchased a BBC Bundle with a Umusic UMI 2B sequencer to hopefully use for making music.

Only problem is the ROM containing the UMI software has been lost, so the hardware is useless with it.

Does anyone here have a ROM image I can use to burn my own ROM? or does anyone know anything about the original programmers, i.e where they might be contacted etc.

Thanks a lot for any help I've been looking for a system for many years now, absolutely gutted to find the ROM was missing :(

davidb

Re: UMI 2B Sequencer for BBC

Post by davidb » Fri May 08, 2015 12:06 am

It's my turn to restart a thread a year later. :lol:

I posted about this sequencer before and someone else has posted a video of the same exhibit to YouTube. Maybe you could contact the museum and ask them for more information or assistance.

There's also this image gallery (found via another forum).

It might be worth doing another WWW search now that a year has passed. You never know if someone else may have bought one, imaged the ROM, or is selling one. :)

fordp

Post by fordp » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:11 am

Did you get anywhere with getting the ROMs you need?

FordP
FordP (Simon Ellwood)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so!

bleeper

Post by bleeper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:19 pm

In my BBC was 2x 27c128 EPROMs containing UMI sequencer software:

- UMI 5.01
- XTRAROM 2

Both (c)1986 Lynton Naiff

I know nothing about them, but from my tests:

- Without XTRAROM being installed, the UMI program doesn't run.
- With both installed, the software can be run via *UMI
- Xtrarom doesn't seem to run at all on it's own

So I suppose it's a 32k program split across 2 16k EPROMs?

I don't have a UMI sequencer so no idea how this program works, but I loaded my dumps in Beebem as pictured.

Hope this helps any budding Vince Clarks out there!
Attachments
UMI ROMS.zip
(25.24 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

fordp

Post by fordp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Many thanks!
FordP (Simon Ellwood)

bleeper

Post by bleeper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:42 pm

fordp wrote:Many thanks!
My pleasure - I actually found this thread because I was going to erase and re-use the EPROMs, but wanted to make sure they'd been dumped before I did! :D

fordp

Post by fordp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Glad you backed them up!
FordP (Simon Ellwood)

MrVico

Post by MrVico » Wed May 11, 2016 5:37 am

Anyone happen to have a manual or any documentation on the UMI 2B sequencer? I used to have the 4m, I am now trying to 2B system going, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Schematics for the MIDI interface box would be particularly helpful.

6funswede

Post by 6funswede » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:05 am

MrVico wrote:Anyone happen to have a manual or any documentation on the UMI 2B sequencer? I used to have the 4m, I am now trying to 2B system going, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Schematics for the MIDI interface box would be particularly helpful.
I might be able to help. Got a 2B myself as an early customer from Norway, but can't seem to find it. Another friend - a Norwegian artist - has got no less than three UMI's. If this is important please email me: 6funswede@gmail.com - my friend will never throw away anything, beeing "well organized." So this could be your chance.

6funswede

Post by 6funswede » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:38 am

davidb wrote:It's my turn to restart a thread a year later. :lol:

I posted about this sequencer before and someone else has posted a video of the same exhibit to YouTube. Maybe you could contact the museum and ask them for more information or assistance.

There's also this image gallery (found via another forum).

It might be worth doing another WWW search now that a year has passed. You never know if someone else may have bought one, imaged the ROM, or is selling one. :)
Oh, this was my video, shot on an old mobile phone from the Norwegian Technical Museum (Norsk Teknisk Museum). I 1984, we were four customers in Norway, and, decades later this man, Mr. Arne Schei at Norwegian Broadcasting Corp. in Norway, decided to give his away. It was still working when they got it, but I doubt that the museum people have even booted it up (*UMI). I dont even know if my own 2B or the beeb (model B) are still working. In my basement, I even have the 1984 Watford Electronics eprom burner stashed away somewhere. Two of the four Norwegian customers were more organized than Arne or me. Email me to get in contact with them. It would be rude to post their resp. addresses here.

Our UMI's were not bought from the London Rock Shop. This sounds ridiculous, but two of us flew from the arctic city of Tromsoe to Heathrow :-) We visited Mr. Lynton Naiff at 17 Parkfields in Putney, London.

I have tried to find out what happened to Lynton Naiff, the musician who made the UMI. If any of you know something, please email me.

Thank you so much for your attention.

6funswede@gmail.com

davidb

Post by davidb » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 pm

6funswede wrote:Oh, this was my video, shot on an old mobile phone from the Norwegian Technical Museum (Norsk Teknisk Museum). I 1984, we were four customers in Norway, and, decades later this man, Mr. Arne Schei at Norwegian Broadcasting Corp. in Norway, decided to give his away. It was still working when they got it, but I doubt that the museum people have even booted it up (*UMI). I dont even know if my own 2B or the beeb (model B) are still working. In my basement, I even have the 1984 Watford Electronics eprom burner stashed away somewhere. Two of the four Norwegian customers were more organized than Arne or me. Email me to get in contact with them. It would be rude to post their resp. addresses here.
Sure. I'll get in touch.
6funswede wrote:Our UMI's were not bought from the London Rock Shop. This sounds ridiculous, but two of us flew from the arctic city of Tromsoe to Heathrow :-) We visited Mr. Lynton Naiff at 17 Parkfields in Putney, London.

I have tried to find out what happened to Lynton Naiff, the musician who made the UMI. If any of you know something, please email me.

Thank you so much for your attention.
Thank you for giving us some background information on the exhibit and telling us about your connection to it. :)
A user on here, GameOn, seems to have a connection to the museum via the Game On 2.0 exhibition currently running there, so might be able to ask the museum about the status of the exhibit. What do you say, GameOn?

davidb

Post by davidb » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:10 pm

6funswede wrote:I have tried to find out what happened to Lynton Naiff, the musician who made the UMI. If any of you know something, please email me.
I did a quick search and learned that he went to Sussex University in the 1960s, which I didn't realise, but nothing much more than that. I suppose it might be possible to find out more by asking their Alumni Service to put a message in their newsletter.

RagingOrlando

Post by RagingOrlando » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi!

I would love to have a picture of the inside of the UMI 2B interface. If possible both sides of the electronics.
There is very little information online about the design and who made the hardware.

RagingOrlando

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:23 am

Sorry, I got sidetracked from this. I'll follow up with the contact that 6funswede sent me details of.

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:57 pm

I've been sent PDFs of the UMI 4M user manual and an addendum. I have no idea what the difference is between 2M and 4M, so I hope these are useful to those of you with 2M sequencers.

The files are a bit big for the forum so I put them here: UMI4M_user_manual.pdf and UMI4M_1.07.pdf.

Thanks to Erik's friend for the PDFs! ;)

wizzo

Post by wizzo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:39 am

Hi, I have recently had my Beeb repaired and have got my UMI 4m back in the studio.

I have many discs of music that I would like to transfer to Logic.

An issue I have is that Logic does not receive Midi clock.

So I would like to slave the Beeb from Logic. The problem with this is that when I set UMI to external clock and plug the midi out of the interface connected to the Mac to the midi in on th UMI interface nothing happens when I play Logic, I have tested this with a DR660 drum machine and it works so I know Midi clock is being transmitted.

Does anyone know if the midi clock in is via one of the Multi inputs?

Thanks

Glen.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”