BeebSID Enclosure

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
PitfallJones

BeebSID Enclosure

Post by PitfallJones » Fri May 24, 2013 11:49 am

Hi,

I'm thinking of putting my BeebSID in an enclosure.

I was wondering people who have already done this could post some pictures to give me some idea what to do. How many people out there are using BeebSIDs by the way?

I'm not that good at homemade stuff but I do have a drill so I'm good at circles - are they any techniques to cutting rectangular holes in plastic?
Come to think of it I guess a cardboard box might be easier than plastic.

I'll need three holes - a slot for the cable and holes for the power and phono which could be on extenders.
sid.jpg
sid.jpg (197.82 KiB) Viewed 428 times
- PJ

1024MAK

Re: BeebSID Enclosure

Post by 1024MAK » Fri May 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Ahh, making holes in plastic boxes... Remember practice makes perfect (and a pile of scrap rejects... :lol: )

Very much depends on how nice you want to make it vs. the amount of time, care and effort you want to put in to it.

For drilling use HSS metal drill bits. If you have a battery drill that can operate at a slow-ish speed (even better if it has a speed control), that is better than a full on mains powered drill. Plastic is soft and has a low melting point so you do not want to use a high speed.

At all times be careful. Only apply gentle pressure, you want the drill bit to do the work. If the drill bit is sharp, it may grab the plastic and get stuck forcing the plastic case to try to spin in your hand or trying to tear the plastic.

Also ensure that you do not slip and drill through your hand #-o [-X

Small Round Holes (up to 10mm - 25/64")
Mark a small indent in the plastic where you want the centre of the hole to be using a sharp point. Then use a small 2, 2.5 or 3mm (5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8") drill bit or similar to drill a pilot hole. Then you can use the correct size drill bit for the hole. If the hole will be visible, use a slightly smaller drill bit, then use a medium metal round file to finish off. This gives a neater result.

Medium Round Holes (10mm - 25/64" up to 13mm - 1/2")
Use the method described for Small Round Holes (up to 10mm - 25/64") and drill to 10mm - 25/64". Then use a hand tapered reamer to enlarge it.
Medium Round Holes (10mm - 25/64" upwards)
Do as per Medium Round Holes (10mm - 25/64" up to 13mm - 1/2") then use a new/sharp sheet metal punch.

Large Round Holes
Mark the outline of the circle on the case, then use the method for Square, Rectangular or Odd Sized Holes...

Square, Rectangular or Odd Sized Holes
Mark the outline of the cut-out on the case.
Carefully drill holes in the corners of the intended cut-out being sure not to drill outside the marked area.
Now either use a suitable saw to cut between the holes. For smaller holes you can slowly use a hacksaw blade.
Or drill a series of small holes in a lines between the existing holes. Then use a small file to merge the holes into slots. Soon you can press out the unwanted plastic.
Or use a drill-saw to merge the holes into slots.
Finish the hole using a larger medium metal file.

And then there is the smelly cowboy way...
Use a hot soldering iron or hot cutting knife. Leave a margin to file out if you want a neat-ish finish...

I hope these tips help :mrgreen:

Mark

PitfallJones

Re: BeebSID Enclosure

Post by PitfallJones » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for those tips - that holes in the corners idea is pretty good.
I've tried a few test runs on bits of scrap so far and was going to do it for real yesterday but then I managed to buy some spacers that don't fit standard pc screws so I'll have to find some other spacers I think - is there no standard!
- PJ