23 Beebs available...

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
daveejhitchins

Re: 23 Beebs available...

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:50 am

Just a thought, but do we need a retr0bright thread?
Could be useful, although I did read the 'full monty' e.g. how it was developed etc. Still a good plan for completeness, I could be the guinea pig :D

Dave H :D on this very Merry Morning (read my entry in the 'Today I recieved....." thread :D )
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Having just got the Beeb bug, can I add my name to the list of potential takers?

I would have a go at fing one too,

Regards
Dave

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:51 am

Tis done Dave! What's your approximate area for the purposes of the list?

Stuart :)

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:46 pm

I'd like to put my name down for one, please. Location high wycombe.

assuming its worth doing to a machine that might be wrecked in other ways (fingers crossed eh! :) :) - re: retrobrite: google "amibay retrobrite bblonde", there's a thread there. The latest and easiest way is bblonde hair peroxide from boots.

Subject to using goggles and gloves etc, sensible precautions, I've found it foolproof!

thanks!

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:29 pm

[quote="iainjh"]re: retrobrite: google "amibay retrobrite bblonde", there's a thread there. The latest and easiest way is bblonde hair peroxide from boots.

Subject to using goggles and gloves etc, sensible precautions, I've found it foolproof!quote]
Interesting to hear you've had success with the bblonde. When I tried it on a couple of M128s, I found it much easier to use (and cheaper) than the conventional method but the yellowing reappeared after a few weeks :(

leenew

Post by leenew » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi Rob,
Funny, I have never had any yellowing re-appear on any machines I have kept.
Did you do them in the sunshine, or do you have a UV lamp?? What strength Hydrogen Peroxide did you use?
I have had no probs whatsoever with 6% strength and leaving the case in the sun all day, re-applying as often as neccesary to stop it drying out.
I know stronger solutions may work quicker but may cause the problems you have had??

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:23 pm

aerworuld wrote:Tis done Dave! What's your approximate area for the purposes of the list?

Hi Stuart,

"approximate area" is Aberdeen, - I can PM you the full address if you need more detail.

More than happy to pay postage to Aberdeen, one thing that really annoys me - there are a few more of course :-) , is the way that some couriers like to charge extra for shipping to Aberdeen. In fact, Aberdeen is NOT in the Highlands and should cost the same as shipping anywhere else in the UK. Areas further North, e.g, Inverness with an IV postcode are understandably more expensive, but an AB1x postcode should be at normal rates,

Merry Christmas all!

regards
Dave

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:35 pm

leenew wrote:Hi Rob,
Funny, I have never had any yellowing re-appear on any machines I have kept.
Did you do them in the sunshine, or do you have a UV lamp?? What strength Hydrogen Peroxide did you use?
I have had no probs whatsoever with 6% strength and leaving the case in the sun all day, re-applying as often as neccesary to stop it drying out.
I know stronger solutions may work quicker but may cause the problems you have had??
Hi Lee,
I never had any problems when I've made the stuff up myself (12%, always used sunshine) but I tried the bblonde stuff earlier in the year and after initially appearing to work, the yellowing reappeared. Both machines had un-yellowed patches where the function keystrip had protected the case.

I bought a whole load of the bblonde stuff as it was on offer in Boots so I'll give it another go next year.

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:38 pm

stevendt wrote: "approximate area" is Aberdeen, - I can PM you the full address if you need more detail.
Many thanks Dave, approximate is fine for now - waiting to hear back if we are in the running for the machines ;)

Stuart

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm

I've done a bbc, a compact, apple iic and a few other bits n bobs. As for the yellowing re-appearing, I guess I'll have to wait til it comes back... one option is to seal it afterwards, some suggest 'floating' a lacquer on top to seal it off from oxygen, myself I've soaked the gear in Armor-all dash protector...same hope, plus an alleged uv block. More next year on the effectiveness I guess.

anyway, I quite enjoyed doing it all! :)

tubbyasstoo

Post by tubbyasstoo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:56 am

Did anything come of this or was it an exercise in teasing 50+ beeb users?

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:59 am

tubbyasstoo wrote:Did anything come of this or was it an exercise in teasing 50+ beeb users?
:lol: Email was sent to the advertiser, just waiting for a reply

*edit* btw, shall i add you to the list just in case? ;)

tubbyasstoo

Post by tubbyasstoo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 am

aerworuld wrote:
tubbyasstoo wrote:Did anything come of this or was it an exercise in teasing 50+ beeb users?
:lol: Email was sent to the advertiser, just waiting for a reply

*edit* btw, shall i add you to the list just in case? ;)

Yes, please add me to the "well and truely teased" list

Btw i notice you are in basingstoke...i just recently moved to hook...perhaps we should meetup sometime and compare collections

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 am

That's not a bad plan! At least the Beeb won't have far to go if this endevour comes off :)

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

I take it this fell through or did the guy never get back to you?
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:48 am

Nothing back yet :(

Haqa

Post by Haqa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 am

If there are any which need more than soap and love, please add me to the list (Sandhurst, Berks).

I've been refurbing beebs for a while now, and could probably help. I can also help with housing, feeding and watering if any don't have homes to go to.

Adrian...
If at first you don't succeed, blame the cat...

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 am

Will do Adrian :)

bagpuss22

Post by bagpuss22 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:13 am

I would be happy to give a BBC 'B' a new and happy home :D

BP

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Rightio, i've added you to the list but it's looking less likely that the machines will head our way :( you never know though!

tubbyasstoo

Post by tubbyasstoo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 pm

aerworuld wrote:Rightio, i've added you to the list but it's looking less likely that the machines will head our way :( you never know though!

bet it was fun for him...knowing he was teasing so many beeb collectors

maybe I will post an advert for 50 unicorn horns and see how many people I can mess around :mrgreen:

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 pm

^yeah, think this is a 'dead horse' :lol:
and does unicorn's make good burgers??! :?
ImageImageImage

jms2

Post by jms2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I must admit I was doubtful about the potential for success of this idea - although I respect everyone's optimism and hope it does eventually work out, of course. :D

Looking back at the original post (in full) on the mailing list, the guy with the beebs doesn't want to restore them for a profit, he just wants them to be put into some kind of museum-type setting. I don't think he's being realistic though - when I visited the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park they seemed to have loads of machines in excellent condition and no shortage of people donating them (the guy showed me some recent arrivals). By contrast, what kind of museum would want 23 non-working, poor condition BBC micros?

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 pm

CMcDougall wrote:^yeah, think this is a 'dead horse' :lol:
You're probably eating it already, along with the horse . . . It's just they're not testing for it yet :lol:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

tubbyasstoo

Post by tubbyasstoo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
You're probably eating it already, along with the horse . . . It's just they're not testing for it yet :lol:

now I know what happened to all the pigeons in trafalgar square, all the sparrows across the country, and the missing bee population

tubbyasstoo

Post by tubbyasstoo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 am

tubbyasstoo wrote:
daveejhitchins wrote:

now I know what happened to all the pigeons in trafalgar square, all the sparrows across the country, and the missing bee population
the next wet winter we have I will be very careful of any mushroom lasagne on special offer...can YOU tell the difference between a slice of mushroom and a processed slug without a DNA testing kit ?