Turbo MMC Interface

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Wheel_nut

Re: Turbo MMC Interface

Post by Wheel_nut » Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 am

Thank you guys for your responses.
CMorley, I downloaaded the fix from the link on that site to the Microsoft fix and ran it. It seemed to complete and said it had installed successfully ... but, I still get the error when trying to run MMBmanager :(

I tried re-booting the computer to no avail.

I also tried running it on another 64bit Win10 computer and the behaviour was identical. However, I don't get the same error on a 32bit Win10 computer, on this one, the MMBmanager opens and I can open the BEEBMMB file which shows allof the Disks in the catalogue .... but when I click on any of them, I get a message box saying File not found. :( :( ** See Edit below...

Edit: I discovered that BOTH of the Apps MMBmanager and DFSmanager need to be in the same directort when MMBmanager is executed because it calls DFSmanager to perform operations on the Disk images within the BEEBMMB pack. I have now got past this point.
Last edited by Wheel_nut on Fri May 03, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1 BBC Model B Level 3 (upgraded from Model A) + 1770 DFS + Dual Floppy
#2 BBC Model B Level 7 + 1770 DFS + Dual TEAC Floppy
#3 BBC Model B Level 3 + 8271 DFS + Watford Dual Floppy
#4 BBC Model B Level 7 + 8271 DFS + Viglen Single Floppy

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Fri May 03, 2019 1:39 pm

The instructions tell you how to install it on 64 bit windows - since that file predates 64 bit windows as we know it now. You don't run the MS installer but must unzip the file and copy it according to the instructions. I did it a few days ago on my newer laptop and the instructions do work.

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Fri May 03, 2019 3:01 pm

CMorley, Thank you so much for the explicit explanation which has fixed the error on my Windows 10 64Bit Laptop. I can now run MMBimager on this PC. I am not sure that I have got to the stage of being able to successfully load files into disk images but I am getting there... :D =D>

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri May 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Some operations, I can't remember which require you to disable protection in the menus.

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Fri May 03, 2019 6:44 pm

I have got to the stage of having loaded the MMBimage program and the BEEBMMB file on my PC.

I have discovered that Selecting a Blank Disk (say Disk 410) and clicking on the Restore button will format the Disk and I can then double click on it to bring up the DFSimage program window for Disk 410. I can aso add a Title to the Disk and after refreshing the MMBimage window, it shows the name of the now formatted Disk in the tiled disk icon display.

I am now trying to drag and drop ROM Images from Windows Explorer into the DFSimage window. Nothing happens!

The Disk is "Unlocked" i the MMBimage window and "Protection" is Disabled in the DFSimage menu.

Any clues?

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Fri May 03, 2019 8:25 pm

You need an associated .inf file to go with the ROM image. Drag a file from one of the SSDs onto your desktop to see how a typical .inf file is formatted.

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Since I am only adding ROM Image files to the SD Card, here's what I did:

1) I dragged an existing ROM Image file from the DFSImager window to a Windows Explorer Folder. It copied the Image file and a corresponding .inf File.
2) I copied the 'inf file and renamed it to match the Rom Filename that I wanted to add.
3) I Edited the .inf file to change the first field to match the filename that I was adding. I left all other fields intact
4) I dragged and dropped the Rom Image file to the DFSImager window.

That seemed to work. I then used the COP114 Utility to copy the files from the SD Card to a Floppy Disk so that I can blow them to EPROMS. I need to do this because my EPROM Programmer uses the User Port and cannot co-exist with the TurboSPI.