Turbo MMC Interface

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Slo

Turbo MMC Interface

Post by Slo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:03 pm

On a bbc micro rather than removing the screws,the lid and then the rom itself, is there a way to disable the turbommc rom and enable the qfs rom and vice versa? Id like to have a 5.25 drive connected at the same time but its seemingly dead while the mmc rom is plugged in. Cant seem to find anything about this anywhere apart from master references.

Andy
Last edited by Slo on Mon May 09, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prime

Re: Turbo MMC Interface

Post by Prime » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:53 pm

can you not use *DFS (or is is *DISK) and *MMC to switch between filesystems I seem to remember at least one of the versions of the beebmmc rom allowed you to do this.

Cheers.

Phill.

Slo

Post by Slo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Phill. It turned out to be a leg bent underneath the chip in IC86. It is *DISK or *DISC, but before it was just hanging after typing it in. Working a treat now.

Cheers

Andy

thedark

Post by thedark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:45 pm

as far as i know also *card or *disk wil work !
and as far as i know the master and bbc use the same mmc.
at least i do
-------------------------------------------------------------
-=[[ Music 5000 Stil Rulez On The Acorn Scene. ]]=-
-------------------------------------------------------------

Slo

Post by Slo » Mon May 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Ive had this interface quite a while now and altho it works a treats for pc-beeb and beeb-pc transfers, I cant get it to transfer from floppy disks-mmc. I just cant seem to work out how to do it, none of the commands from the included pdf files work it just says Bad Program everytime, has anyone else bought this turbo mmc interface and got it to transfer disk images to floppy and vice versa?

Andy

Advance

Post by Advance » Mon May 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi, if this is an IFEL turbo mmc from Steve Picton then it most certainly does transfer to and from floppy disks. I have backed up almost all of my floppies onto card using it - and it now does adfs.

You have to make sure you have loaded the specified copier progs and so on to do this. The "pdf" commands won't work unless you do.

Look for this post "Start computer with mmc card active" in 8bit hardware and you'll find a !boot disk I use for copying. Make sure you have all the necessary roms and software loaded and try it.

If it still ain't working email Steve - he's really helpful. I found a copying program glitch on the Master and he very quickly amended the software. If you bought the system from him you may have received a update - copier9 iirc. I won't post it as I don't have permission to do so.

Hugh

Slo

Post by Slo » Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi Hugh thanks for that, it is the IFEL system from steve picton and very good it is too. I didnt receive an update although he has replied thru ebay to let me know that the software has to be loaded into sideways ram before i can use it, which is kind of a coincidence as i just ordered one of his sideways roms kits a couple of days ago. Ive had the system a while now but only just started to try mmc to floppy transfers and it didnt occur to me it wasnt as straight forward at first as you would think.

Cheers Andy

Slo

Post by Slo » Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 pm

Ok i tried your bootdisk and its not working after the "is the mmc rom fitted" question I press Y and it gives

*SRLOAD COP108 8000 0 Q I

Bad command
then a list of function key commands

Cheers
Andy

EDIT: does this have to have sideways rom fitted for it to work?

station240

Post by station240 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:51 am

Slo wrote:Ok i tried your bootdisk and its not working after the "is the mmc rom fitted" question I press Y and it gives

Bad command

Cheers
Andy

try:
*SRLOAD COP108 8000 0 Q

the I is a MOS 3.5 only command.
The 0 is the ROM bank to load it into, which means you do need some sideways ram to use it.

Slo

Post by Slo » Wed May 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Right my sideways ram came today and ive now fitted it. I dont have the *srload program as I have old versions of the software however i do have the old *rload which im presuming is the same albeit with something updated or more commands etc. I have sucessfully created roms for the turbo mmc and qfs onto the sideways roms 2 and 3 and have got cop106 loaded into rom 15 by typing *RLOAD COP106 F and upto this far everything is working fine the machine boots to the mmc fine disk drive works fine however when i try the *IMTOD *IDTOM or use the copy program it gives me an MMC not active statement. I tried these commands in this order to backup the programs that came with my mmc

First copy programs image from cd to mmc card on pc
then on bbc

*DFORM500
*DIN500
*. (to confirm there is a blank disk image ready)
*IDTOM 0
MMC not active

Anyone know whats going on here?

cheers
Andy

Advance

Post by Advance » Wed May 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Have you used the command *CARD to activate the MMC?

H.

Slo

Post by Slo » Wed May 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Yes Hugh mmc works in everyway right up to actually trying to transfer something on or off it, ive tried a load from disk and save to mmc and that works fine and a disk copy works fine.

Andy

Slo

Post by Slo » Wed May 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Right ive been in touch with steve picton and he thinks my interface is too old as i have had it about 15 months and is sending me a new eprom which will hopefully make it work properly.

Andy

Advance

Post by Advance » Thu May 12, 2011 9:32 am

As a matter of interest, did the file by file copying work - using the *DTOM or *MTOD commands?

Slo

Post by Slo » Thu May 12, 2011 7:22 pm

:( Unfortunately not hugh, none of the copier commands will work, each one gives a mmc not active statement even right after a *card command.
Also he also mentioned that the latest version of the copier software is 113 whereas i have 106 and 107.

Andy

Advance

Post by Advance » Thu May 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Yeah, when I checked just now I actually had an update for ADFS copying and that was 111 so I'm two versions behind. Wonder what they do? Lot of development still going on it would seem.

H.

Slo

Post by Slo » Thu May 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Yes and unfortunately not only in the software, in the actual hardware itself too. my board is very different to the one steve is currently selling, the ic is quite larger than the tiny one i have on mine. Im surprised he doesnt offer a download link for the software as it must be a pain having to post update cds, new eproms etc and its frustrating on my part because i have no updates as such. it would be much simpler to just login to something secure and be able to grab updates as they come available rather than to have to beg and pester for it.

Andy

Slo

Post by Slo » Fri May 13, 2011 8:52 pm

The new eprom came today and all is well, working very well infact, however my disk drive is a JVC drive and it is notoriously slow so am after a replacement if anyones got one to sell preferably a double.

Andrew

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Fri May 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Slo wrote:<...>my disk drive is a JVC drive and it is notoriously slow<...>
Have you got the keybaord links set for the best speed? Try *FX255,207, press break (not CTRL) and try it again, see if it speeds things up.

Mark.

Slo

Post by Slo » Fri May 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Well that certainly did the trick mark shes flying :lol: there arent any dipswitches on my keyboard, can the links be altered manually so this or any other drive will run as fast as what this is doing right now? I cant believe the difference its quite amusing.

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Fri May 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Best thing to do is fit a dipswitch if you can, or solder two wires across the third and fourth rows from the left (or bottom dependong on type of KB).

Mark.

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Wed May 01, 2019 3:10 pm

Slo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2011 10:20 pm
Ok i tried your bootdisk and its not working after the "is the mmc rom fitted" question I press Y and it gives

Bad command

Cheers
Andy

I realise that this is quite an old post but I am wrestling with the same problem on my BBC B fitted with a Turbo-MMC and two banks of sideways RAM at slots &F(15) and &B(11)

All of the previous discussion seem to apply to the Master which has a native command *SRLOAD. I am usin a BBC B and am trying to use the RLOAD program which can be found on Discs 5 and 300 of the Turbo-MMC SD Card.

I can select Disk 5 by *DIN 5 and then *CAT shows a bunch of ROM images and the RLOAD Program
I have tried *RLOAD HELP12C 8000 15 .... after a few seconds of activity, I get a command prompt > and *HELP shows just the Turbo-MMC and DFS.
I have tried BREAK and Cmd-BREAK but cannot see the HELP12C ROM loaded in the Sideways RAM.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience but please be as explicit as possible as I am very rusty on Beeb stuff!

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:10 pm
I have tried *RLOAD HELP12C 8000 15 .... after a few seconds of activity, I get a command prompt > and *HELP shows just the Turbo-MMC and DFS.
I don't think RLOAD has the same syntax as SRLOAD. No address is needed.

Code: Select all

*RLOAD <rom filename> <slot>
works for me.
Last edited by cmorley on Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Wed May 01, 2019 4:14 pm

cmorley wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm
I don't think RLOAD has the same syntax as SRLOAD. No address is needed.

Code: Select all

*RLOAD <rom filename> <slot>
works for me.
Thank you for your response. Can you tell me:
1) Is the Slot number in Decimal (15) or Hex (F)?
2) After it loads, Do I have to Ctrl-Break? or Break ... or something else to bring the Loaded inage into play?
Thanks again, Robin

EDIT: To answer my Question 1) ... It is in Hex so in my case it is F or B for my two banks in Socket IC101
Question 2) After it loads, the OS returns to a Command Prompt > so no Break required.
*Help now shows the two ROMS I have loaded and because one of them was ADT, the *ROMS returns a list of all of the Sideways Roms.

WOW! just WOW!
Last edited by Wheel_nut on Wed May 01, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sweh

Post by sweh » Wed May 01, 2019 10:18 pm

Wheel_nut wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:14 pm
Question 2) After it loads, the OS returns to a Command Prompt > so no Break required.
While some ROMS will work just fine without BREAK, others may not initialise properly... especially those that reserve workspace memory. Back in the day I pretty much got into the habit of CTRL_BREAK after ROM loads, and I still do it on autopilot!
Rgds
Stephen

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Thu May 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks Stephen. Good tip and I will add it to my instinctive keystrokes. :D

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 pm

I am now trying to add Programs and Disk Images to the SD Card using "MMBmanager.exe" on a PC. MBMmanager is one of the Apps which comes on the Turbo-SPI CD supplied with the Turbo-SPI device.

I tried running MMBmanager fron the CD but it failed so I copied the file to the PC Hard Disk and when I run it, I get the Error Message "Component 'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is misssing or invalid"

MMBmanager is apparently a file manager which allows you to drag and drop .ssd disk images and programs into the catalogue of Disks packed in the BEEB.MMB file on the SD Card.

Any suggestions or experience with using this facility would be gratefully received.

sweh

Post by sweh » Thu May 02, 2019 9:49 pm

If you google search for mscomctl.ocx then you'll get lots of hits. This is a standard Windows library issue (yay Windows!).
Rgds
Stephen

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Fri May 03, 2019 12:26 am

Thanks Stephen, I googled it and baulked at the offers from unknown sites to download an fix my registry.

Have you seen this before and if so, how did you fix it? Id there a Microsoft fix for it?

Regards, Robin

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Fri May 03, 2019 6:45 am

Hit 1 on google:
https://www.urtech.ca/2017/11/solved-ms ... t-windows/

They even link the download direct from the MIcrosoft website.