Rombox and Turbo Driver

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Fraser

Rombox and Turbo Driver

Post by Fraser » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:25 pm

I have the original Slogger Rombox. It is the one on the cover of the manual at AEW. A Turbo Electron won't start up in Turbo mode with it. Does anyone know what the problem is caused by?

ukretrogamer

Re: Rombox and Turbo Driver

Post by ukretrogamer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:46 pm

It must be caused by the Electron Turbo. Please send me the Turbo and I'll send you a standard Elk in return.

No? Worth a try.

Wish I could help out but I've never had a Turbo Electron. What makes it "Turbo"?

Advance

Post by Advance » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi,
You don't say whether this is a recent problem or whether the two have never worked together. I presume the turbo you refer to is the Slogger modification in which case they should co-exist without problems.
I have a Slogger Rombox Plus and Master Ramboard, which also carries the turbo uprgrade, in an RX case, and they work perfectly.
However, they are extremely prone to suffering from dirty contacts or even the slightest displacement of contacts so it might be worth making sure everything is clean and tight. I suspect Slogger tolerences were a bit sloppy.
My Click cartridge delivered about half the normal features for ages before I accidentally touched it when doing something inside the case. It was a very slight tap but it restored all the functions. I cleaned the contacts and it has behaved ever since.
Sorry if this sounds a bit basic but it comes from a lot of tinkering with Electrons and then thinking I've killed them when something just needed re-seating.

Hugh

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:47 pm

I think there is something incompatible with the design of the Rombox. They might have fixed it with later ones.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:51 pm

ukretrogamer wrote:Wish I could help out but I've never had a Turbo Electron. What makes it "Turbo"?
It could much much faster than a standard Elk in some screen modes that made the original Electron slow down a heck of a lot. It was basically a add/on and hardware mod that wasn't for the faint hearted. You could send off your machine to Slogger and they'd do it for you if you wished.

iomanoid

Post by iomanoid » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:05 pm

*want*

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:12 pm

iomanoid wrote:*want*
:-k
turbo1.jpg
turbo1.jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 809 times
turbo2.jpg
turbo2.jpg (102.44 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Like this? PM me if you're actually wanting one. This one works, I've got another as well needs testing, but I can put one into a decent unyellowed case if you want.

@DaveM: Didn't you have some boards of these, or something similar from the Slogger "raid" we went to?

Mark.