New Replacement Keyboard Surrounds?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
iomanoid

New Replacement Keyboard Surrounds?

Post by iomanoid » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:33 am

Anyone who's ever tried to build up any sort of even minor Beeb collection will have no doubt come across one of my personal pet hates at least once: cracks, splits and holes in the black keyboard surround :o *SHUDDER*

This thin sheet was brittle enough even back in the day, and time hasn't done it any favours - not to mention the way it overhangs the case plastic by a good few millimetres is just asking for trouble from sausage fingers. Plugs are a major culprit too - it only takes a bit of shoddy packing for two nicely spaced live and neutral holes to be left, forever glaring at you from below the space bar :(

What with that, and the way the "cassette motor, caps lock, shift lock" text often yellows to the point that you can even smell the fags, I was wondering:

:!: How hard would it be to get some new ones of these knocked up?

I know nothing about manufacturing or how to even begin enquiring about such a thing, but if Rich from RWAP managed to get complete 48K ZX Spectrum metal faceplates done recently, then surely this should be fairly trivial in comparison?

I've seen many an otherwise pristine case let down by the keyboard surround, so I think there'd definitely be a market for those of us who like to buy up and do up old horses - I know I'd be up for a shedload of 'em.

But how to actually get it done... :?:

Prime

Re: New Replacement Keyboard Surrounds?

Post by Prime » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 am

Same goes for the Atom ones, both of my Atoms have a round hole just where the "Acorn Atom" text is, and one of them also has a big hole where the previous owner put a socket for an external speaker, right where the internal one would normally be.

Cheers.

Phill.

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:39 am

I'd always thought of having the cases remade, in transparent plastic! Means we could put some neon tubes in our beebs to make them look 8) 8) 8)

I too have no experience in having plastics made up, but I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it.

Mark.

iomanoid

Post by iomanoid » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:40 am

retroclinic wrote:I'd always thought of having the cases remade, in transparent plastic!
Are you psychic? :shock: That was going to be my next thread. Seriously, I'd need it for a music video later in the year. I was thinking it can't be too hard to mould a case imprint out of an existing one and then fill it with modern-day see-thru stuff...

You've freaked me out now :P

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:53 am

Without knowing anything about it, I'd assume the initial problem is going to be the huge (possibly?) cost of having the initial moulds made, rather than the cost per 'case' afterwards.

I don't think I've phrased that too well, but hopefully it makes sense...
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

iomanoid

Post by iomanoid » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:55 am

Probably yes, for the whole cases, but that was supposed to be another thread :lol:

For the keyboard surrounds it's surely just a matter of drawing up a precise template and then finding somewhere that can cut and print them on similar material to the originals. It sounds so easy, but unless you've got inroads into these fields then it's like trying to speak a foreign language without a dictionary, phrasebook or girlfriend...

irrelevant

Post by irrelevant » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Has anybody any idea what sort of plastic the bezels are made from?

irrelevant

Post by irrelevant » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:17 pm

A quick google turns up several places that would probably be able to help, e.g. (and picked at random) www.apt123.co.uk, however I have no idea whatsoever what costs would be like. Probably needs somebody to visit a potential supplier with the various panels off a beeb to ask "can you duplicate these?" ... (Might as well get the full set done - I imagine some people might want the econet socket to still be filled in..)

Prime

Post by Prime » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:50 pm

retroclinic wrote:I'd always thought of having the cases remade, in transparent plastic! Means we could put some neon tubes in our beebs to make them look 8) 8) 8)
Noooooooo!!!! That's just wrong on so many levels.....for the same reason as putting ultrabright blue leds on retro gear, they look so out of place !

All IMHO of course :)

Phill.

station240

Post by station240 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:12 am

retroclinic wrote:I'd always thought of having the cases remade, in transparent plastic! Means we could put some neon tubes in our beebs to make them look 8) 8) 8)

I too have no experience in having plastics made up, but I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it.

Mark.
I think you mean, make the case transparent, because it spends most of its time with the lid off, and this way we can keep the dust out while still keeping an eye on the add on boards which have a habit of coming loose. Maybe start small with a window put in the top of the case ?

Plastic molding is expensive, but there is resin, its no too hard to use nor is the mould making rubber. The tricky part is making the mould work without tons of air bubbles.

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:36 am

Bump...

Did anyone get anywhere with finding replacement keyboard surrounds?

I have a couple of Beebs that would definitely benefit.

I'm thinking of getting some 1mm ABS sheet and gently cutting it to match
Kinda like this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-Black-Sm ... 0005.m1851

Marcus

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:45 pm

If it is just the ashtray that has been cut, you can also try the floppy disc / brown shoe polish technique that I once used: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11910&p=150432#p150432
Paul

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:39 pm

floppy disc / brown shoe polish technique
:lol: I saw that... Creative solution.

Sadly it looks like this :
IMG_4203a.jpg
IMG_4204a.jpg
Marcus

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Walters Computers in Stourbridge! Awesome! (I got my first Beeb from there).
Last edited by Lardo Boffin on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am

It doesn't particularly bother me - I think beebs look best when operated sans case. [When I was young you could tell people who really used their machine (as opposed to just play games) by the fact that the screws were not fitted and the lid was stuffed behind the monitor!] That said, my 4 beebs had a hard life and they keyboard surrounds are all broken!

I'm not sure what the original material was but if I were to try and get something made I think I'd try a signwriters first?

Maybe something like this - no idea how stiff the vinyl is? http://www.awesomemerchandise.com/Recta ... l-Stickers

D