Phloopy

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
charlie

Phloopy

Post by charlie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:59 pm

I had a vague recollection today of Phloopy.

I know it was a a tape based storage system, but the bit I remembered (and perhaps incorrectly) was that it only had one 'spindle' (that's not the correct term here, but I can't think what you'd call it.)

I've drawn a blank searching here & the wider internet for pictures or info, and wondered if anyone knows how it worked.

I know it has a loop of tape, but this loop is continuous, and so my interest was really about how the tape was wound...

IanS

Re: Phloopy

Post by IanS » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:09 pm

charlie wrote:I know it has a loop of tape, but this loop is continuous, and so my interest was really about how the tape was wound...
I dont think I ever saw one for real. I think the cut-away pictures in some of the adverts just showed it loosely packed inside the cartridge, just using a pinch roller to pull the tape out and push it back in.

Edit: Something like this - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=K2TR ... rn&f=false

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Here's the ads...
Phloopy_1.jpg
Phloopy_1.jpg (97.54 KiB) Viewed 686 times
Phloopy_2.jpg
Phloopy_2.jpg (85.67 KiB) Viewed 685 times

Prime

Post by Prime » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:26 pm

I think it was just an 8-track audio cartridge with a micro-controller interface, somewhat akin to the Sinclair Microdrive, and the Robotronics Waferdrive.

Probably a 'cheap' way of using up surplus 8-track mechinisims, hense them bigging up the "byte wide" head......

Cheers.

Phill.

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 am

Ahh excellent, thanks to both of you...

The ad is basically what I remember; even at the time the loose pooling of the tape inside the cartridge would seem prone to snagging (especially as phloopy was supposed to be quite fast.)

And even now, that cutaway is no less confusing - I just don't see how that, if the diagram is correct, that kind of mechanism isn't likely to fail.

irrelevant

Post by irrelevant » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:50 am

I remember these ... ended up going for a real floppy drive in the end. *

It's basically the same way (impact) printer ribbons work, though. If you've ever pulled one of those apart, the ribbon is pushed in through rollers at one end of the cartridge, and dragged out the other..

As long as it's well designed (always a consideration..) it should work fairly well.

(* - Although I did initially choose some weird double density disc interface that wasn't quite compatible enough with the real acorn ones. When I upgraded, I had a friend say he could convert all my games discs for me - but all he did was reformat them and copy HIS games discs onto them... I was so cross as the contents didn't match at all...)