BeebSID

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Leew

Re: BeebSID

Post by Leew » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:14 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:33 pm
Hi Lee,

Not sure what is causing this problem. To rule out my scroller and text routines please could you try this version with no graphics, just the tune.
I have given that a try and still get the same behaviour. Each song plays for a few seconds then freezes.

Thanks
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
Lemmings are for life, not just the 90's... https://www.lemmingsworld.me

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks Lee,

Have you any other way of getting SSDs to your Electron (i.e. not the slogger) I suspect that there is a clash somewhere with that?

In the meantime here's another version - this time it won't play a tune but hopefully should show the scroller and a whole bunch of 0's - this to rule out an address clash with the SID/SLOGGER

Please, if there's anyone else out there with an Electron (even if you don't have a SID), please could you try running the original orcanpeet.ssd from the post above and we can try and get Lee up and running

Thanks

D
Attachments
orcanpeet-TEST-NOSID-20190220.zip
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:51 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:45 pm
Please, if there's anyone else out there with an Electron (even if you don't have a SID), please could you try running the original orcanpeet.ssd from the post above and we can try and get Lee up and running
No Electron but MAME can emulate this setup. With Plus1, AP5, BeebSID, and SEDFS I get the freeze after a few seconds with both the original and scroller only orcanpeet.ssd. Replacing the SEDFS with a Pegasus400 works perfectly.

My only thought is that SEDFS will be generating IRQ's for the RTC.
Last edited by Pernod on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks Pernod,

I have to admit to being a bit baffled by MAME, so far I've managed to boot into a Plus 3 electron (ADFS) but I've no idea how it get it to run as if it has SEDFS.

Is there a different ROM file?
How do I select a disk image?
What / where is the SID stuff and AP5 stuff

Any help appreciated as I'd like to get to the bottom of this!

D

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:10 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 pm
I have to admit to being a bit baffled by MAME, so far I've managed to boot into a Plus 3 electron (ADFS) but I've no idea how it get it to run as if it has SEDFS.

Is there a different ROM file?
How do I select a disk image?
What / where is the SID stuff and AP5 stuff

Any help appreciated as I'd like to get to the bottom of this!
Hopefully answered over at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16555
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Leew

Post by Leew » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Have you any other way of getting SSDs to your Electron (i.e. not the slogger) I suspect that there is a clash somewhere with that?

In the meantime here's another version - this time it won't play a tune but hopefully should show the scroller and a whole bunch of 0's - this to rule out an address clash with the SID/SLOGGER
=D> =D> =D>
Yay, my Elk is singing away happily in the background :-)

I had forgotten that I had a GOSDC stashed away. I have always been the traditional type and like the clunk and whirring of a proper disk drive.

Anyhow loaded the test SSDs onto the SDC card and powered up with the GOSDC and apart from the odd song, they play all the way through.

Thank you so much Dominic for persevering, it is much appreciated.
Pernod wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:51 pm

No Electron but MAME can emulate this setup. With Plus1, AP5, BeebSID, and SEDFS I get the freeze after a few seconds with both the original and scroller only orcanpeet.ssd. Replacing the SEDFS with a Pegasus400 works perfectly.

My only thought is that SEDFS will be generating IRQ's for the RTC.
I had forgotten that the Slogger SEDFS interface had an RTC, I whipped the battery out of it a few years ago as it had started to corrode and hadn't bothered replacing it as I never used the clock features. So you think that might be the problem? I might have to have a word with DaveH to see if he still has any Slogger Pegasus disk interfaces left :-D

Thanks again guys (and thanks DaveH for the AP5). Its been quite rewarding building the BeebSID then icing on the cake, making it work on my beloved Electron.
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
Lemmings are for life, not just the 90's... https://www.lemmingsworld.me

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:17 am

Leew wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 pm
I might have to have a word with DaveH to see if he still has any Slogger Pegasus disk interfaces left :-D

Thanks again guys (and thanks DaveH for the AP5). Its been quite rewarding building the BeebSID then icing on the cake, making it work on my beloved Electron.
Yes . . . Pegasus interfaces still available (and now work for more than 5 min :oops: ) And My part in the AP5 was Very minor - Without Dave (Hoglet), who did ALL of the FPGA work, I doubt it would be available yet - =D> =D> =D> =D>

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com