What new hardware would you want ?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
User avatar
Greybeard
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: God's Country
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by Greybeard » Tue May 25, 2010 5:22 pm

That's an interesting website. Thanks for that. :)

tubbyasstoo
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by tubbyasstoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:55 am

whilst pursuing my dream of a modern day lower power drain beeb laptop, I stumbled across something that might be of interest to others

a modern commodore c64 clone, whose "personality" is customisable via reprogrammable FPGAs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-One

a modern MSX clone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1chipMSX

I was also reminded of a popular circa 80s laptop, A4 size, weighing .90 KG, with 20 hours of batterylife from 4 AA batteries, processor running at 3.5MHz, and semi-reasonable keyb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Z88

=P~ just need someone enterprising to merge all the above together, sadly my wirewrapping days are long past :(

station240
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:11 pm
Location: South Australia
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by station240 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-One
So far, C-One circuit boards have been produced by German company Individual Computers, and they currently[update] sell for €269
Right, which is what £225. Plus you'd want to replace all those useless PC ports with beeb versions, ok the vga port can stay. Needs some rom sockets to start with.

But look at how much room the CPU card+ram takes up, if only the rest of it was that compact.

Which bumps the price up to:

http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/buildit.htm
From the section: "Ideas that didn't get made but might inspire you"
Turbo B (overview: a whole motherboard replacement for the BBC Micro taking the best features from B/B+/Master and squeezing it all into one; status: keep adding to the spec but the 2 year development and £300 selling price is likely to put most off)
Or you could just take the MiniB http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/minib.htm and throw some extra stuff in to make it drive a laptop screen and keyboard. Inside of the casing is going to be very well ventilated.

tubbyasstoo
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by tubbyasstoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:40 pm

station240 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-One
So far, C-One circuit boards have been produced by German company Individual Computers, and they currently[update] sell for €269
Right, which is what £225. Plus you'd want to replace all those useless PC ports with beeb versions, ok the vga port can stay. Needs some rom sockets to start with.

But look at how much room the CPU card+ram takes up, if only the rest of it was that compact.

Which bumps the price up to:

http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/buildit.htm
I wasn't advocating starting with a C-one, more of what can be done when someone puts their mind to it, hence my comment re wirewrapping

The C-one probably doesn't lend itself to a laptop power profile, they seem to be using full sized dimms, rather than sodimms, and the fact that the board is very spacious but sparcely populated, say compared to a modern micro-itx board

tubbyasstoo
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by tubbyasstoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:46 pm

station240 wrote: Or you could just take the MiniB http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/minib.htm and throw some extra stuff in to make it drive a laptop screen and keyboard. Inside of the casing is going to be very well ventilated.
now this is more like it

add on a couple of 6522s, a 6845, one or two custom chips to replace the video+serial ULAs, and the other glue logic, throw in some static RAM and the teletext chip...

what else would be needed ?

seems a shame to use a 6845 to drive the graphics modes only to then DAC the output to feed a modern digital panel, but can't see how else to get the s/w compatibility for those naughty programs like elite that fiddle directly with the hardware

LOL anyone up to the challenge ?

irrelevant

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by irrelevant » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Well, it's been suggested a few times. There's already an FPGA Electron, and there's someone down under that has made an FPGA Model A, and of course we've got modern replacements for storage, co=processors, including the tube chip, so just needs somebody bringing it all together.

tubbyasstoo
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by tubbyasstoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 pm

irrelevant wrote:Well, it's been suggested a few times. There's already an FPGA Electron, and there's someone down under that has made an FPGA Model A, and of course we've got modern replacements for storage, co=processors, including the tube chip, so just needs somebody bringing it all together.
any web links ?

I think I saw the mentioned FPGA electron on this thread, is that still work in progress rather than complete ?

irrelevant

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by irrelevant » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 pm

The Elk is in this thread indeed.

Beeb:
http://pacedev.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23
http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug/p ... -micro.jpg

Plus various threads on the BBC Micro mailing list as Mark was working on it.

User avatar
AlanD
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:30 pm
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by AlanD » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Hello

Twas me that did the FPGA Electron it is as near complete as you can probably get it has all standard elk features except n tape interface it has an IDE drive it also has 2 banks of sideways ram and can run in slogger turbo mode and runs every game ican get my hands on Elite and Exile included even plays exile sound sample correctly

heres a couple of pics of the board i have done since the show last year

top side (components)
rIMGP0070.jpg
rIMGP0070.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
bottom side see the solidstate IDE drive
rIMGP0073.jpg
rIMGP0073.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
as you can see the board is only 80mm by 80 mm

initially this started as a replacement for the ELK ULA
For testing purposes i added the 6502 aswell then theres no original Acorn left:(

Alan

User avatar
guddler
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:43 am
Location: W.Somerset
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by guddler » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:42 pm

I can't remember how this all started now, but I'd love to be able to construct small BBC notebook from something like the keyboard / case / psu of a netbook. The ability to have a portable Beeb would be awesome indeed.

As always the beeb thread looks like major progress then gets left behind. The Electron looks really neat though =D>

station240
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:11 pm
Location: South Australia
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by station240 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:50 am

tubbyasstoo wrote:
station240 wrote: Or you could just take the MiniB http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/minib.htm and throw some extra stuff in to make it drive a laptop screen and keyboard. Inside of the casing is going to be very well ventilated.
now this is more like it

add on a couple of 6522s, a 6845, one or two custom chips to replace the video+serial ULAs, and the other glue logic, throw in some static RAM and the teletext chip...
It already has one 6522, ok its a chip on the board itself.

Question is what to do with the inside of the case, the board and 2gig flash card don't take up much space. Bigger battery pack with be the obvious choice.

User avatar
Tapit
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: Aylesbury
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by Tapit » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:12 am

I'd love to see a TCP/IP Interface device that logs the Beeb into an internet hosted BBS where you can use forums and download disk images onto the device and run them directly. It would use the BBC as the teminal.
How cool would that be.

Tim. =P~

tubbyasstoo
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by tubbyasstoo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:47 am

guddler wrote:I can't remember how this all started now, but I'd love to be able to construct small BBC notebook from something like the keyboard / case / psu of a netbook. The ability to have a portable Beeb would be awesome indeed.

As always the beeb thread looks like major progress then gets left behind. The Electron looks really neat though =D>
yeah, have to agree, the electron clone looks absolutely awesome, both in functionality and size

I could live with an electron clone notebook instead of a beeb one, thinking about it the electron was probably the more logical choice as a starting point, as many of the beeb's advantages, ie i/o ports are probably no longer leading edge, nor required

so from the looks of it there are only 3 loose ends

a) mating to a common and cheap LCD
b) battery pack - how power efficient is the elk clone ?
c) a custom netbook case ? ooo lightweight detachable USB keyb please :mrgreen:

tubbyasstoo
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by tubbyasstoo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:04 am

station240 wrote: Question is what to do with the inside of the case, the board and 2gig flash card don't take up much space. Bigger battery pack with be the obvious choice.
Can you imagine if the elk clone could run all day on 4 x AA rechargable batteries, and had space in the case for an extra 4 x AA to double the battery life ? LOL

Can you imagine a custom case that is only slightly bigger than a 640x256 LCD panel (do they exist in such a low resolution) ? it would be a micro-netbook !

irrelevant

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by irrelevant » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm

I'd quite like something I could rack-mount (eurocard?) with on-board econet interface, RS423, and optional modem :D But that's because I'd run a BBS on several of them..!

User avatar
pstnotpd
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by pstnotpd » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 pm

tubbyasstoo wrote:
guddler wrote: a) mating to a common and cheap LCD
b) battery pack - how power efficient is the elk clone ?
c) a custom netbook case ? ooo lightweight detachable USB keyb please :mrgreen:
This sounds an awful lot like beebem/b-em compiled to a pandora.

http://www.open-pandora.org/

tubbyasstoo
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by tubbyasstoo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:24 pm

pstnotpd wrote:
tubbyasstoo wrote:
guddler wrote: a) mating to a common and cheap LCD
b) battery pack - how power efficient is the elk clone ?
c) a custom netbook case ? ooo lightweight detachable USB keyb please :mrgreen:
This sounds an awful lot like beebem/b-em compiled to a pandora.

http://www.open-pandora.org/
that does look interesting, the 10 hour battery life sounds good

the beebem linux version is quite old now isn't it ? having branched off from an older beebem windows version, but still if it works, who cares...

but I would still love a minimalistic beeb/elk clone that runs off AA batteries, turns on immediately (even the latest ubuntu takes almost 10secs)

perhaps I am being overly nostalgic and there isn't really a market for an 8bit clone of a british microcomputer that never even made it big in the US, but if it could be done, it would show the world the difference between 80s functionality and 21st century bloatware, and that british ingenuity isn't dead

User avatar
guddler
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:43 am
Location: W.Somerset
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by guddler » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:03 pm

The thing that puts me off the idea of the open-pandora the most is the size of the "keyboard". Other than that mind :-k

User avatar
Samwise
Site Admin
Posts: 1823
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:13 pm
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by Samwise » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:39 am

Samwise wrote:
sorvad wrote:But I wondered if any one had plans for any other hardware add ons. Also do other people have a wish list of stuff they'd like to see.
I'd love to see a USB adaptor which would allow use of the old beeb Acorn and Voltmace joysticks on a modern PC. I did discover Paul Qureshi's Retro Adapter V2 which I wondered whether it could be modified to achieve this. After looking into it, though, I wasn't really sure where to start ...
Well, it turns out the place to start was by dropping the creator a line. :)

Bit of a thread resurrection, but just for completeness I thought I'd mention that my original wish was granted - Paul (STH forum name: mojo) has created a connector for his Retro Adaptor which enables BBC micro joysticks to work with a PC via USB. I've tested it under Win XP Pro 32-bit, Win 7 Home 64-bit and Debian Testing Linux* and it works brilliantly under all three - supporting single, dual or even Voltmace 14B sticks (adaptor box not required).

Can't recommend it enough. You can purchase an adapter and connector through his site or if you're suitably technical can build your own because the icing on the cake is that all Paul's designs are open source!

Sam.

* Custom Linux kernel required for dual sticks support, until a patch submitted to the usb subystem is accepted into the mainstream kernel

User avatar
sdcbmthsch
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 11:43 am
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by sdcbmthsch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:21 am

guddler wrote:I can't remember how this all started now, but I'd love to be able to construct small BBC notebook from something like the keyboard / case / psu of a netbook. The ability to have a portable Beeb would be awesome indeed.
I second this! Sadly, beyond my abilities to produce such an item, although if it was a kit with some soldering, I'd be more than willing to give it a go!

Stainy
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by Stainy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:40 pm

guddler wrote:The thing that puts me off the idea of the open-pandora the most is the size of the "keyboard". Other than that mind :-k
The Pyra ( Open Pandora successor ) is almost here..

Better.... everything

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyratech/

Image

Don`t worry, this is a testing case to see that everything fits etc...

Beebem has just got an update for the Pandora too :)

paulb
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by paulb » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Stainy wrote:Don`t worry, this is a testing case to see that everything fits etc...
I agree with those people who think the transparent case should be one of the purchasing options. :)

poink
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 am
Contact:

Re: What new hardware would you want ?

Post by poink » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:53 pm

paulb wrote:I agree with those people who think the transparent case should be one of the purchasing options. :)
I was thinking that; I'd love a clear one! It perfectly harks back to the mid to late 90s (probably 1996 to 2000) fashion for electronics in see through cases - a perfect bit of themeing if you're wanting a Pyra for emulation.

Post Reply