Another Econet

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
ChrisO

Another Econet

Post by ChrisO »

I'm trying to get an Econet working between two BBC's (and later my System computers).

One of the BBC's is fine, boots up and displays the Station ID. The other displays 'BBC COMPUTER 32K' slowly and then stalls ? If I then unplug the Econet cable it finishes booting ?
Just wondering if this is as a result of a known problem before I start delving deeper with a scope ?

I'm running DNFS1.20/3.60 on both machines, I have a clock generator and correctly terminated cabling, clock looks good on a scope (1st machine is happy with clock).
flaxcottage

Re: Another Econet

Post by flaxcottage »

Check the line driver IC. These go down quite frequently and cause all sorts of problems.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
ChrisO

Re: Another Econet (Fixed)

Post by ChrisO »

Found it !

A clue was the slow printing of the startup message, the CPU was overloaded with interrupts from the 6854. IC87 was generating loads of DCD pulses when it shouldn't, it looked like C17 was faulty so I replaced it but no change. Eventually found that pin 14 of the IC socket was folded under and not going through the pad ! I fitted the Econet parts back in the 1980's but never used it so never found this fault before now.

Oh well kept me amused for the afternoon !

Chris
flaxcottage

Re: Another Econet

Post by flaxcottage »

=D> =D>
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”