Torch Z80 board

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
banedon88

Torch Z80 board

Post by banedon88 »

Hi guys

Out of curiousity I've purchased a Torch Z80 second processor board off of ebay. It's an issue 1 with IC4 missing, but everything else looks ok (no corrosion, damage, bent pins, etc. and no detectable short between the power rails).

IC4 appears to need a 2764 EPROM which I've found is pin compatible with Atmel's AT28C64 EEPROMs which I have in my spares collection (also, the 2764 is 180ns while the Atmel is 150ns so speed-wise all good). From what I can tell this ROM needs to contain the CP/M-compatible OS called CPN. I've downloaded the CCCP102 rom image, burned that and fitted the ROM.

Before I go and connect the board up would someone be ok answering the following for me?

1) I think I need a paged rom in the Beep to get this to work called MCP? Is there a version which works with SD Card systems?
I found the following info which does make me wonder if it's physical drives ony:
v1.22 ABL - BBC with 8271 FDC
v1.22 ABW - BBC with 1770 FDC
2) I don't have a proper 40 pin tube cable. Can I get away with an old 80 pin IDE cable or would the pinout be wrong or the cable too long?
3) Does the OS ROM contain all of the OS or is it a case of being part on ROM and part on disc?
4) is there any gotchas that I haven't covered?

Cheers!
Last edited by banedon88 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danielj

Re: Torch Z80 board

Post by danielj »

Unfortunately you will need to use it with a proper disk interface and either a gotek or real floppy drive. There's not a version that works with the SD system.

Not sure about 80-way IDE, but a 40 way will work so long as all the pins are present. I suspect the 80 won't as it probably won't cope with the power that's drawn. All of the OS is in ROM, but you do need discs if you want to do anything interesting with it.

d.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Have a look here. The TORCH.TXT file gives info on which ROMs go where.

I don't think anyone has written a version that works with an SD card so it's possibly really floppy drives or Goteks only :(

However, I think it only needs the ROMs to boot up (although it won't be much use without disk access).

I've used 40-pin IDE cables for TUBE connectors in the past but I've not used the 80-pin versions.
banedon88

Post by banedon88 »

Thnaks for advisng, guys

None of my Beebs have a floppy drive controller apart from my B+ which I don't want to use as a test rig (I've only got one and it's in good conditon so don't want to risk it for init testing :D).
As such, I'll look at getting one of the BBC model B 1770 DFS kits from retroclinic - hopefully the Torch Z80 won't have an issue with it.
I also have a Lotherak HxC floppy drive emulator which I bought for one of my amigas which I think will work with a Beeb and as it's a floppy drive emulator like the gotek should be ok with the torch.
banedon88

Post by banedon88 »

IDE cable wise if the 40 pin ones work then the 80 line (but still 40 pin) ones should hopefully be ok as I think the additional lines are just grounded ones to reduce noise.
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

banedon88 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:50 pm
IDE cable wise if the 40 pin ones work then the 80 line (but still 40 pin) ones should hopefully be ok as I think the additional lines are just grounded ones to reduce noise.
UDMA cables are supposed to have all the ground pins wired together - they're not straight through like the IDE ones.

--Tom
MurrayCakaMuzer

Post by MurrayCakaMuzer »

Hi all! Long time no see. Been trying to get back into retro computing recently, and made a rather rash purchase of one of these off eBay without first looking at all the options. So I've bought the same board probably from the same seller, also without the required CCCP (CPN) EPROM. I have already bought the BBC ROM, welcome floppies, and IDC cable, and I already have a disk drive that should work. But unfortunately I don't have an EPROM programmer for the CCCP ROM. If anyone has an original spare, or has an EPROM programmer and is able to write one for me, I'll obviously pay for parts, shipping, and a little extra for your time. Thanks all!
MurrayCakaMuzer

Just bought a cheap EPROM programmer and a 2764 off eBay. However, the TORCH CCCP ROMs online are in .LST files. I'm sure several years ago I knew how to deal with these but I don't recall now. I've been trying to write a quick shell script to extract the hex out of them but it's trickier than I hoped due to overlapping disassemblies. Anyone know of a tool to convert this to a useful binary file that I can use in a programmer on a modern PC?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

MurrayCakaMuzer wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:02 pm
Just bought a cheap EPROM programmer and a 2764 off eBay. However, the TORCH CCCP ROMs online are in .LST files. I'm sure several years ago I knew how to deal with these but I don't recall now. I've been trying to write a quick shell script to extract the hex out of them but it's trickier than I hoped due to overlapping disassemblies. Anyone know of a tool to convert this to a useful binary file that I can use in a programmer on a modern PC?
Not sure where you found the .lst files, aren't those disassemblies? You can find a selection of CCCP ROMs at http://mdfs.net/System/ROMs/Torch/.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
MurrayCakaMuzer

Pernod wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:04 pm
MurrayCakaMuzer wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:02 pm
Not sure where you found the .lst files, aren't those disassemblies? You can find a selection of CCCP ROMs at http://mdfs.net/System/ROMs/Torch/.
Oh cheers, I found the .LST linked above ( http://mdfs.net/Software/CPM/Torch/ ). Obviously I didn't look hard enough!

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”