Panel Mount

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
marcelaj1

Panel Mount

Post by marcelaj1 »

I have been toying with the idea of putting beeb add-ons into a case that will sit on the top of my model B.
I have searched the net looking for a panel mount connector/pass through for the molex connector for power and an ide for disc drive cable, so far nothing, has anyone seen either of these things?
JasonStonier

Re: Panel Mount

Post by JasonStonier »

Could you make up some intermediate connectors?

Floppy Drive | 34-pin IDC Female --->>> Amphenol 50-pin D-Sub Female Panel Mount | Amphenol 50-pin D-Sub Male --->>> 34-pin IDC Male | BBC

Floppy Power | Molex --->>> Phoenix 4-pin Female Panel Mount | Phoenix 4-pin Male --->>> BBC-Aux Plug | BBC

I did this (to separate my keyboard out from the main case) and it is a neat way of doing it.
marcelaj1

Post by marcelaj1 »

I was looking up the connectors you mentioned and stumbled on this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/34-WAY-IDC-C ... 2613981142
Which covers the idc bit, I am looking into the power side, I did think of using....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pairs-GX16 ... Swz7FffX1L
which will handle 250V @15A, bit of over kill but its neat.
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

Yeah, they'll be perfect. Those round MIL connectors, we use a lot for industrial applications at work, and they do work very well.

I've never heard of a "lugged connector" before - looks like it'll be a good solution for you. Let us know how it goes!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Lugged IDC connectors have been around for some time. They are available from the larger electronic suppliers. They are however usually slightly pricey.

For some time now (meaning years) I have been using plastic XLR connectors for 5V and 12V DC power applications where the current is or may be greater than 3A. Three pin types are readily available in a number of configurations. I tend to use Cliff made XLR types as current ratings are given. See here for some examples including panel mounting connectors.
For lower currents (less than 3A), I use four pin round DIN connectors. Again these are available but although you can get line sockets at reasonable cost, panel mounted plugs are rather expensive.

Note that the 0V/GND for the +5V supply and the 0V/GND for the +12V supply is linked together both in the Beeb PSU and at the floppy drive. So you only actually need a three wire connection (assuming that the 0V/GND conductors / wiring / connectors is suitable rated for 2A or greater).

Mark
marcelaj1

Post by marcelaj1 »

I just noticed my temperature controlled solering iron has one where the iron connects to the power/controller module :D

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”