Upurs rom

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Back2skooldaze

Upurs rom

Post by Back2skooldaze »

Hi just returned to using the upurs rom/transferring via hercules on pc side. Could someone please remind me when I list the roms in my bbc the upurs rom has a pink flashing star at the side do I need to type something in order to use the upurs rom.
Thanks
MartinB

Re: Upurs rom

Post by MartinB »

Hi - I'm not sure what the flashing star is, how have you listed the roms to see this? Just *HELP?

Assuming the UPURS rom is a valid image & device, there are a number of 'Star' commands available which you should be able to see with *HELP UPURS and in case you have misplaced it, the manual is attached.

User Port Utilities Rom Software v5.1.pdf
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
Back2skooldaze

Post by Back2skooldaze »

Hi Martin I put the rom in a cart fir the bbc master where I first used it but I've now since put commstar rom in the cart with upurs and when doing *H. I see all roms but the upurs has a pinkish asterix/star flashing at the right side.
I've tried doing a transfer using *upxrom 3 and I get purging link
My connection is working on the serial cable to hyperlink on pc and communication from hercules by typing on bbc and sending a text line from pc.
I've gone through the one manual.
I'll try transferring a ssd to disc.
I've not put a disc in yet for transferring from pc to bbc but did try transferring to bbc memory but I get purging link.
I've tried sending from bbc to pc and pressed space to start transfer and it states complete on bbc but can't see it on hercules. On bbc it states to put pc in rx and press space to send which it does but can't see it on pc ????
Its been a few years since I had my bbcs setup and forgot most stuff.
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Ok, the flashing star comes from Commstar and it seems that the UPURS banner is partially overwriting the Commstar title but leaving the flashing star. Don't worry about that for now, I think this got fixed in UPURS 5.1 and I think you're perhaps using an earlier version?

My connection is working on the serial cable to hyperlink on pc and communication from hercules by typing on bbc and sending a text line from pc.

What do you believe you are proving with this though? I assume this is a connection from the PC to the Master using a normal serial cable to the RS423 port of the latter and whilst it shows that the PC is working in terms of its own serial port and Hercules, it doesn't prove anything on the Beeb side for UPURS transfers.

You presumably remember that for UPURS, the system doesn't use the Beeb/Master (or Elk) serial RS423 port but uses the User Port via the bespoke UPURS cable? I ask because if the Beeb just says purging and hangs, it implies that there's no valid connection to a PC from the User Port and UPURS is waiting for handshaking.

Just an initial thought.....
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Since I think you're using a superseded version of UPURS (though all of the released versions work just fine), here's a copy of the 5.1 release post from the UPURS home thread.....

UPURS 5.1 Banner.jpg
UPURS 5.1 Banner.jpg (12.65 KiB) Viewed 380 times

The attached zip contains the following UPURS v5.1 update files :

• UPURS 5.1R 16k binary rom image
  • UPURS 5.1 DFS ssd containing disc-based versions of the utilities and a further SWR-loadable copy of the rom image
  • UPURS 5.1 User Guide (unchanged from 5.0 other than version 5.1 references)

There are no feature updates in v5.1 but the following bugs and anomalies are addressed :

• For certain ssd images, UPSSD not writing the final track to the destination Beeb disc
  • UPLOAD file save dialogue indicating one byte too few
  • UPLOAD (rom version) immediately aborting due to inadequate key de-bounce
  • UPLOAD freezing Beeb after a load
  • Missing blank line in *HELP header response

Thanks to Martin (guddler) and Colin (CMcDougall) for bug reports.

Further details of UPURS can be found at it's support home on Paul Vernon's (paulv) excellent Retro-Kit site.

UPURS 5.1 HELP.jpg

UPURS 5.1 Rom,Disc & Manual.zip
(2.43 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
EdVoncken

Post by EdVoncken »

I've finally started archiving my BBC Micro 5.25" floppies using UPURS and Acorn DFS in a BBC Master.
With some floppies, "UPXSSD 0 F" results in an image < 200kB, so in those cases I used "UPXSSD 0 I8".
This always results in a 200kB image file - no read errors.

My original BBC has a 8271 controller with Watford DFS. Could the difference in disc image size be related to Watford DFS?
I seem to remember it has an extended catalog, so maybe Acorn DFS does not recognise all entries?

On the UPURS website, there is an older version with Watford support. Perhaps I need to use that for imaging?
BBC-B (my first computer, 1983?), Electron (1985, virtually unused)
BBC-B and BBC Master 128 with DataCentres from Mark@RetroClinic (2018, 2019)
Refurb/upgrade projects: BBC-B (2x), BBC Master 128, Electron with Plus1 and Plus3
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Hi - yes, the Watford 62 file catalogue would confuse the F option because the latter still uses the disc-written catalogue parameters to establish the actual maximum formatted capacity (as opposed to the used quantity) of the source disc and normally, for a standard Acorn-compatible DFS disc, the correct size image will result. However, the I4 or I8 option ignores the ‘soft’ catalogue layout and just uses an assumption of 40 or 80 tracks of 256 bytes x 10 sectors. So, as long as the Watford DFS isn’t using higher density, you are fine to use the I8 option but noting that any read errors will be ignored.

It’s always recommended with any archiving system to use BeebEm configured with the appropriate DFS matching that used to write your original disc and check an example image produced for the correct integrity. i.e., in the case of a Watford 62-file catalogue, that you can properly catalogue the image.

(I need to dust off my brain to remember what the Watford-specific version was but it might have been to read higher density Watford DDFS discs - not HD, but double-density and greater than the standard Acorn DFS disc capacity.)

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”