Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Post Reply
User avatar
Multiwizard
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 pm
Contact:

Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by Multiwizard » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi,

I tried to make a cheap housing for my ESP8862 WiFi module...

I could post some pics, but I made a slide-show of these pics in my short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPMbePZs0DQ


Greetings, Wim... :-)

User avatar
roland
Posts: 4051
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 pm
Location: Born (NL)
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by roland » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:45 pm

This is really great. Amazing =D> =D> =D>
But I doubt that it is cheap when you have to use a Beeb housing for it :lol:

Can you post some more information like the measurements of the pieces. I'd like to build one in plexiglass.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

User avatar
oss003
Posts: 3365
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:57 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by oss003 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Nice job Wim ....... you still got it ........ :wink:

Greetings
Kees

User avatar
Elminster
Posts: 4247
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 am
Location: Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by Elminster » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:56 am

roland wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:45 pm
This is really great. Amazing =D> =D> =D>
But I doubt that it is cheap when you have to use a Beeb housing for it :lol:

Can you post some more information like the measurements of the pieces. I'd like to build one in plexiglass.
Also if the measurements etc. Are available then someone can knock up a 3D printable design without redoing all the work you have already done.

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 5920
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:59 am

Elminster wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:56 am
roland wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:45 pm
This is really great. Amazing =D> =D> =D>
But I doubt that it is cheap when you have to use a Beeb housing for it :lol:

Can you post some more information like the measurements of the pieces. I'd like to build one in plexiglass.
Also if the measurements etc. Are available then someone can knock up a 3D printable design without redoing all the work you have already done.
I'm on with that! I'm taking a KiCAD DXF into AutoCAD today to sort out the board outlines and hole placements.

I'll be just modifying one of my existing cartridge cases so I'll post files, for folk to try, as and when they're available.

One thing I'v asked Roland to do, if possible and he hasn't invested €€s, is to use low profile sockets - this will allow a better (read easier!) design of the case as there will be just a flat surface to work with.

Dave H.

User avatar
roland
Posts: 4051
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 pm
Location: Born (NL)
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by roland » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:15 am

Hi Dave,

I did search for low profile sockets but didn't find any. Do you perhaps have part numbers from Mouser or Farnell?

Greetings,
Roland
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

User avatar
Multiwizard
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by Multiwizard » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:27 am

I did use a part of a Beeb housing which is (see top picture) a little bend at the edges...

So I only have the side & back part measurements...


Greetings, Wim... :-)
Attachments
P1350486 Curved sideview.JPG
Measurements.PNG

User avatar
1024MAK
Posts: 10294
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:29 am

When I last really needed a low profile 28 pin DIL socket (more years than I care to try to remember) I spend ages comparing the physical dimensions of the available turn pinned sockets at Farnell, RS, and some other suppliers. I even bought one of each type. When I compared them, they were all within 1mm (as in less than 1mm different in height) of each other. So I suspect for turned pin sockets, they are most likely all low profile types now. Unless Dave knows differently...

The only way to reduce height any further, is to use bigger holes in the board so that socket fits lower or use the expensive special PCB socket strips which also need larger PCB holes.

Mark

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 5920
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:08 pm

roland wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:15 am
Hi Dave,

I did search for low profile sockets but didn't find any. Do you perhaps have part numbers from Mouser or Farnell?

Greetings,
Roland
I'm sure I have some . . . take a look today.

Dave H.

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 5920
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:11 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:29 am
When I last really needed a low profile 28 pin DIL socket (more years than I care to try to remember) I spend ages comparing the physical dimensions of the available turn pinned sockets at Farnell, RS, and some other suppliers. I even bought one of each type. When I compared them, they were all within 1mm (as in less than 1mm different in height) of each other. So I suspect for turned pin sockets, they are most likely all low profile types now. Unless Dave knows differently...

The only way to reduce height any further, is to use bigger holes in the board so that socket fits lower or use the expensive special PCB socket strips which also need larger PCB holes.

Mark
It's the PLCC sockets that are the main culprits. Phill (Prime) pointed the way for low profile mounting of DIL parts (see his MRB).

Dave H.

User avatar
Elminster
Posts: 4247
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 am
Location: Essex, UK
Contact:

Re: Making a cheap Electron WiFi housing...

Post by Elminster » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:27 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:59 am


I'm on with that! I'm taking a KiCAD DXF into AutoCAD today to sort out the board outlines and hole placements.

I'll be just modifying one of my existing cartridge cases so I'll post files, for folk to try, as and when they're available.
Reuse is the name of the game. I am all cased our doing cases, onto reorganising my garage with aid of a skip at the moment. Hoping I can relocate 3D print there is I seal draft and rehouse spiders.

Post Reply

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”