SD Card Interfaces

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
English Invader

SD Card Interfaces

Post by English Invader » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:57 pm

I'm led to understand that there are lots of them available for the Beeb but which ones are the best to go for? i,e, the most compatible?

What's the general feeling about this one from TFW8B?
https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/bbc/sd2bbc.html

And how does it compare to this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACORN-BBC-MI ... Sw4TVeUwT-

And is there a better option than either of these?

I'm planning to go for a model B so the interface will need to be B compatible.

danielj

Re: SD Card Interfaces

Post by danielj » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:20 am

They're all the same, essentially. You can even build one yourself with a 50p arduino SD card reader if you fancy hooking it up to the user port :) and getting hold of an MMFS ROM.

If you're getting a Model B which has a disk interface, I'd consider skipping these altogether and getting a Gotek floppy emulator either with flashfloppy firmware and hardware mods pre-installed, or DIY the flashing (you can get an unflashed gotek for about £14/15 from China). This is the most compatible option as so far as the beeb's concerned it's using a normal disk drive and can use a native filesystem which behaves as software expects it to.

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:30 am

English Invader wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:57 pm
I'm led to understand that there are lots of them available for the Beeb but which ones are the best to go for? i,e, the most compatible?

What's the general feeling about this one from TFW8B?
https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/bbc/sd2bbc.html

And how does it compare to this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACORN-BBC-MI ... Sw4TVeUwT-

And is there a better option than either of these?

I'm planning to go for a model B so the interface will need to be B compatible.
If you decide to go for a User Port connected MMC device then IMHO, this is the best option commercially available. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACORN-BBC-MI ... SwL7lea8P-
It is the Turbo interface which facilitates faster writes. If you are not a speed freak, try the User Port adapter from KenLowe which is a very cost effective solution.
#1 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 1770 DFS + Dual TEAC Floppy
#2 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Dual Floppy + Speech
#3 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Cumana Single Floppy + PiTubeDirect on KenLowe's Tube Level Shifter

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:16 am

:( :( :(
smart-spi rom :roll: :roll: :roll:

if you what tube conneted go for that one

how did i call that ?? ( old man do not remember his software products :) )

because of other things in life , i have no time for
USER-dos or TUBE-dos rom :? :? :?

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:37 am

Gotek or turboMMC are the best options. I have both and am very happy with them.

The SPI version, whilst cheap, does not have the functionality of the turboMMC IMHO. To get the best out of the turboMMC you really need to have some sideways RAM (check out BooBip.com) and NOT have an Econet interface fitted (Econet and all these user port SD card interfaces use the Econet work space and will conflict).

Gotek seems to work with anything and is just like using an old school floppy drive. Mine is even as slow as a floppy drive. :lol:

Both type are easy to set up on a PC. The turboMMC comes with extensive documentation about how to do this. The Gotek just needs the images copying to a USB memory stick and you can even have a meaningful directory structure to help find files.

Good luck with your Beeb adventures. :D
- John

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:41 am

Duikkie, I still use your smartspi room in about half my beebs and when I was including it with my adapters, it was great that it worked on all models. As I think you said thought, the old man has let his children have their freedom, so now I go with MMFS as you can't beat Hoglet for support :)

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:40 am

Wheel_nut wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:30 am
If you decide to go for a User Port connected MMC device then IMHO, this is the best option commercially available. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACORN-BBC-MI ... SwL7lea8P-
It is the Turbo interface which facilitates faster writes. If you are not a speed freak, try the User Port adapter from KenLowe which is a very cost effective solution.
I have the Turbo version in that eBay link. It is quick, works well and fits very neatly under the machine on the user port. That's not as convenient if you want to change the card frequently, though - some of the others used cables to make that easier but then they are not as neat so you need to think about what you want.

On the Master I have installed a patched ADFS and have a hard disc partition on the SD card too.

I have not tried a Gotek.

Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:04 pm

LIke Coeus, I can stromgly recommend the IFEL TurboMMC device. Steve Picton is very responsive to the support needs of his users and the CD that he provifes with his products contains a treasure trove of Software and Documentation.

The TurboMMC adapter works very well with the Hoglet supported MMFS and the CD even contains a modified version of MMFS which works with the Copy Utility (COP114) on the SD Card to copy files to and from Floppy Disk.

I should add an alert that there is a similar looking device being sold on eBay by a different seller which purports to be compatible but isn't! It also supplies a copy of Steve's CD though, predictably, the Utilities don't work with their hardware.

I have not gone the Gotek route because I much prefer the totally self contained design of the TurboMMC. It fits in the Connector Well with no external box or cables, making it exceptionally neat on the desktop.
#1 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 1770 DFS + Dual TEAC Floppy
#2 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Dual Floppy + Speech
#3 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Cumana Single Floppy + PiTubeDirect on KenLowe's Tube Level Shifter

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”