Akhter Plinth Floppy Drives

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Julz

Akhter Plinth Floppy Drives

Post by Julz »

Re. Akhter Plinth Floppy Drives:

Can anyone tell me if these are easy to service? Mine came with the Master 128 I bought from a work colleage, over 20 years ago (non eBay purchase), and they worked fine when I last used them - c. 2001! :D Obviously, now, they don't, so I'm assuming drive belts need replacing. The Beeb does recognise them and attempts to access a disk, using *. but after a short 'whirr' (more like a 'schhh'), nothing.

Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with servicing these, before I go ahead and tackle them myself, or can provide me with some hints / tips, etc. Can supply photos of it, if required.

Thanks in advance.
Wheel_nut

Re: Akhter Plinth Floppy Drives

Post by Wheel_nut »

You should have a look at the Power Supply in this enclosure. If it is similar to the Watford Electronics one that I had, the PSU has three RIFA Capacitors which suffer the same failure as those in the Beeb PSU.

If the Drives are playing up, it would help to know the Make and Model Numbers of the bare drives. Akhter, Pace, WE and Viglem simply packaged drives from a myriad of manufacturers. Fortunately, afaik, there are no belts though there are other perishables in some manufacturer's products.
#1 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 1770 DFS + Dual TEAC Floppy
#2 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Dual Floppy + Speech
#3 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Cumana Single Floppy + PiTubeDirect on KenLowe's Tube Level Shifter
Colday

Post by Colday »

If these are the true Akhter double drive enclosure,, I have 2x of these which I am about to start servicing and repairing. One pair works, the other, not so much.

Would be good to swap notes...

Pm me.
BBC B's... I now have 6!
I also have 1 boxed with manuals, unmolested model A.
And also an unmolested model B. (but not boxed sadly)
12x floppy drives (only 1x currently works I think)...
Learning to repair and refurb keyboards next! No more sticky keys!
Julz

Post by Julz »

OK. Cheers. I'll go and take some photos and make notes of the make / model/ serial no, etc. and put them up on here.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

most modern floppy drives have no drive belts, the main thing that gives problems is the carriage is clogged up where the heads ride back and forth on and may need cleaning and lubricating and the heads themselves need to be checked and cleaned, cleaning disk are hard to come by and are quite expensive for what they are.
Otherwise there is not really a lot to do on a floppy drive.
Peter.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”