So I have picked up an Acorn Electron...

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
dangelus

So I have picked up an Acorn Electron...

Post by dangelus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm

I recently picked up an Electron is very nice condition. As a retro hardware collector this has been on my list for a while so i'm chuffed to have picked one up at a pretty good price. I have fond memories of the Beeb from my school days so this will be a nice way to start my journey with Acorn 8bit micros.

I have also picked up an RGB scart cable (works nicely with my OSSC) and a cassette audio cable and I have managed to successfully load a EUF tape file.

Also on it's way: an atari style joystick adapter that plugs in to the expansion slot at and back AND just today I managed to secure a PLUS 1 which will come in very handy.

I am open to suggestions on where to go from here :D
Lover of retro computing and especially 8bit, content creator known as "Retro Recollections".
https://www.youtube.com/retrorecollections

daveejhitchins

Re: So I have picked up an Acorn Electron...

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:43 pm

dangelus wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm
I recently picked up an Electron is very nice condition. As a retro hardware collector this has been on my list for a while so i'm chuffed to have picked one up at a pretty good price. I have fond memories of the Beeb from my school days so this will be a nice way to start my journey with Acorn 8bit micros.

I have also picked up an RGB scart cable (works nicely with my OSSC) and a cassette audio cable and I have managed to successfully load a EUF tape file.

Also on it's way: an atari style joystick adapter that plugs in to the expansion slot at and back AND just today I managed to secure a PLUS 1 which will come in very handy.

I am open to suggestions on where to go from here :D
The world is now your oyster 8) So many options! Any thoughts on what you might like to do?

Dave H :D

dangelus

Post by dangelus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi Dave,

Just getting my head around how things work so I'm not fully up to speed yet. I'm of course looking to load software but I have much research to do as to the best way to go about it. Like I said I have had success loading tape images via the cassette audio interface but I wouldn't mind trying out something a little faster.

Will the PLUS 1 open up options in this regard? What about modern accessories? That sort of thing...

Thanks again. :D
Lover of retro computing and especially 8bit, content creator known as "Retro Recollections".

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:33 pm

@dangelus - Dave makes and sells various goodies for the Electron. But do browse the forum, as there are other members that also produce various other storage and interface devices. Some of the expansions plug into a Plus 1 while others connect to the Elk's expansion port.

Mark

dangelus

Post by dangelus » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Hi Mark,

Yes I have been reading some very interesting subjects on here, lots of great accessories / add-ons it seems. I shall keep delving through them :D

thank you

Mince

Post by Mince » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:04 pm

I have an Electron with a Plus 1 with a few add-ons that I find useful...

Firstly an ElkSD Plus 1 — great for using an SD card to emulate a bunch of floppies and add a bank of sideways RAM to load software into.

Secondly, one of Dave's ATI (Advanced Tube Interface) cards: this gives me a Tube interface (for a co-processor) and a couple of banks of battery-backed sideways RAM so I can easily load software into them, lock it and then it's effectively like ROM as it's there after power-on. In one bank I have the BASIC Editor (1.45E - Electron version) and the other EXMON II (I've modified this to work around the lack of a TAB key, which seems oddly broken on the normal version).

Finally, I have a PiTubeDirect with a Raspberry Pi 3A+ which I can connect to the ATI socket if I fancy plotting a Mandelbrot set in under a second in BASIC.

The ATI comes with a EEPROM to replace the standard one in the Plus 1 and add some extra commands useful for managing the sideways RAMs and PiTubeDirect.

The ElkSD64 is the non-Plus 1 version of the ElkSD Plus 1 but you can't use it if you have a Plus 1 interface connected, so I wouldn't get that. However, to get the same functionality as that, you do have to have the ElkSD Plus 1 AND the replacement ROM in the Plus 1 (since the ElkSD64 comes with this as well).

I don't particularly have a desire to get a Plus 3 as I'm happy with the ElkSD for disc access and it's easier to move stuff between my Master and my Electron.

Really depends on what you want to do with it: I mainly do programming in 6502 or BASIC. I found swapping the ElkSD64 for all this Plus 1 shenanigans has made it nicer to do this with as I have more sideways RAM and the Tube is nice to speed things up.

dangelus

Post by dangelus » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:50 am

Thanks Mince that is really useful information!

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:41 pm

My Main setup with A Plus 1 is:
  • AP6, which fits inside the Plus 1, gives me lots of sideways RAM and ROM (EEPROM) to load useful ROM images etc
  • Updated Plus 1 ROM with useful utilities
  • AP5, which gives you User Ports, Tube interface, 1MHz interface and more sideways ROM \ RAM
  • BeebSCSI, provides hard disk like storage - connects to the 1MHz interface
  • Pegasus 400 floppy disk controller + Gotek
I also have a Raspberry PI co-processor which I connect to the Tube port of the AP5.

ElkSD is also very good.

If you want to mod the Acorn Electron a Master RAM Board (MRB) is a good up grade giving you additional memory and speed (turbo mode). Makes some games more playable, or too fast to play!
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

dangelus

Post by dangelus » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Thank you, I have plenty of research to do it seems. :D

dangelus

Post by dangelus » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm very pleased with my Elk!
It is in great condition, just needed a little clean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so2O9a5oCJ4

I have acquired a PLUS 1, a joystick adapter (analogue to 2x digital Atari compatible) AND an ELKSD PLUS 1 :D

I have a question about audio. i'm thinking of doing the audio mod (audio out to the RF coax) as it seems pretty straight forward. I'm using an RGB SCART cable from RetroComputerShack (great cable) and I think I will be able to patch in the audio to it so that i can run it through my OSSC with audio. This will then allow me to capture footage with audio.

Anybody have an experience with this mod?

Also my PLUS 1 didn't come with the screws that secure the expansion to the ELK. Does anyone know the dimensions of the original screws or know where I can get some?

Thanks fabulous community!

Marvin

Post by Marvin » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:57 pm

M6 x 30mm Slotted Pan Head.

The "retaining" items is a piece of plastic pipe approx 3-4mm long that fits snugly on the threads, that locates in-between the 2 halves of the case.

Do you want a picture ?

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:10 am

I have a question about audio. i'm thinking of doing the audio mod (audio out to the RF coax) as it seems pretty straight forward. I'm using an RGB SCART cable from RetroComputerShack (great cable) and I think I will be able to patch in the audio to it so that i can run it through my OSSC with audio. This will then allow me to capture footage with audio.

Relatively easy to do. Think about it before you do anything! It can be done in a way that lets you remove it and put it back to standard.

Do this:
Remove the lid of the modulator.
Carefully unsolder the capacitor from the centre pin of the output connector. Then just move it out of the way.
Unsolder the +5V line (that goes to the modulator) from the PCB side. Insulate and tuck away.
Unplug the speaker and then connect the wire I'm sending you (see below) to one of the pins of the socket - IIRC it's the right hand side one. But if it's not then you wont get audio so just change it over.
Feed the other end of the wire through the hole in the modulator and solder to the centre pin of the output connector.
Replace the modulator lid.

Also my PLUS 1 didn't come with the screws that secure the expansion to the ELK. Does anyone know the dimensions of the original screws or know where I can get some?
I'll PM you with my eMail address. I can send you the screws along with a wire to help with the audio mod.

dangelus

Post by dangelus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 am

Marvin wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:57 pm
M6 x 30mm Slotted Pan Head.

The "retaining" items is a piece of plastic pipe approx 3-4mm long that fits snugly on the threads, that locates in-between the 2 halves of the case.

Do you want a picture ?
I picture would be really useful, yes. Thanks for the info!

dangelus

Post by dangelus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:59 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:10 am

Relatively easy to do. Think about it before you do anything! It can be done in a way that lets you remove it and put it back to standard.

Do this:
Remove the lid of the modulator.
Carefully unsolder the capacitor from the centre pin of the output connector. Then just move it out of the way.
Unsolder the +5V line (that goes to the modulator) from the PCB side. Insulate and tuck away.
Unplug the speaker and then connect the wire I'm sending you (see below) to one of the pins of the socket - IIRC it's the right hand side one. But if it's not then you wont get audio so just change it over.
Feed the other end of the wire through the hole in the modulator and solder to the centre pin of the output connector.
Replace the modulator lid.

I'll PM you with my eMail address. I can send you the screws along with a wire to help with the audio mod.

Brilliant, thanks Dave.

Marvin

Post by Marvin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:13 pm

dangelus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 am
Sorry for the delay, had family over this weekend so toys had to be packed away...

Will this do ?

AP1 Pan Head.jpg

dangelus

Post by dangelus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Marvin wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:13 pm
dangelus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:58 am
Sorry for the delay, had family over this weekend so toys had to be packed away...

Will this do ?

AP1 Pan Head.jpg
Thanks Marvin but Dave H has kindly sent me a spare set of screws. Sorry for all the trouble :)

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”