BBC Master with Gotek disc light comes on and doesn't list

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
mark71

BBC Master with Gotek disc light comes on and doesn't list

Post by mark71 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:18 am

Hi All

Just bought a Gotek drive for the BBC Master, and plugged it in and switched on no problem, the issue is when i try to list the contents of the drive the light just comes on and stays on and just hangs there waiting for something?, any ideas?.

DFS 2.24 and ADFS at 1.5, stock BBC Master, re-capped.

Thanks

Mark

danielj

Re: BBC Master with Gotek disc light comes on and doesn't list

Post by danielj » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:24 am

What firmware are you using on the Gotek? Where did you get it from? What disk image have you put on the USB stick?

d.

dv8

Post by dv8 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:31 pm

mark71 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:18 am
Just bought a Gotek drive for the BBC Master, and plugged it in and switched on no problem, the issue is when i try to list the contents of the drive the light just comes on and stays on and just hangs there waiting for something?, any ideas?.
The Gotek may be configured as drive 1. Try entering the command *.1 to get a catalogue of drive 1.

If that worked you can change it to drive 0 by moving the jumper near the floppy cable connector on the Gotek from position S1 to position S0.

Disc image files ending with .ssd or .dsd need to be accessed through DFS. Files ending with .adl or .adf need to be accessed through ADFS.

Assuming you're using the FlashFloppy firmware, if you want to use .adf files on the beeb you will also need to put the line 'host=acorn' in the configuration file (FF.CFG) on the USB stick. Otherwise FlashFloppy will think they are Amiga format discs.

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:56 pm

You probably want something like:

Code: Select all

interface = shugart
host = acorn
index-suppression = no
head-settle-ms = 4
nav-mode = default
extend-image = no
I'm not 100% about nav-mode as I use

Code: Select all

nav-mode = indexed
on my GOTEKs because I use my menu on them.

The thing with FF.CFG is the gotek remembers the settings each time is sees a new FF.CFG, so I would suggest putting all the settings in an FF.CFG on each stick you use with them.

PS Also make sure you are using DFS with .SSDs. I'm not sure what happens if you don't.

mark71

Post by mark71 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:48 pm

Hi All

Thanks for all the advice, figured out why it didn't work in the end, operator error, didn't read the manual properly, once a disk is selected, one needs to press it in to mount it, then one can list it's content, doh.

What i did do was to test it first on a electron with a slogger 400 dfs disc interface which i knew worked as the floppy drive for it worked, once i figured out where i went wrong, plain sailing.

Only snag now was the electron died, no beep on start up, tomorrows job see what went wrong.

thanks all.

Mark
IMG_5887.JPG

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:38 pm

Post what the symptoms and what issue The Electron is. You’ll have to Open the Electron up to understand what issue it is.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”