Electron composite poor quality

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
SkaterMark

Electron composite poor quality

Post by SkaterMark » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi

I've fixed up a few issues with my Electron. Composite output seems fussy and moving the cable can result in clear Acorn welcome text or a fuzzy text when outputting to a modern TV

Anyway I went ahead and did the LK4 mod. It works I have colour but in addition to the temperamental composite connection the colour output is fuzzy even when the white text is sharp. Is this normal?.

Any advice on what could be causing this or how to improve it... I've even considered buying an RGB to Scart device to see if that helps. Would that give any better output?

Thanks
Mark

danielj

Re: Electron composite poor quality

Post by danielj » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49 pm

Composite in B&W should be reasonably sharp, but on a modern LCD it might suffer somewhat. Your symptoms suggest loose connection on the connector or a bad cable? Adding the colour does degrade the quality.

RGB-SCART is substantially higher quality (again, if your screen gets on with it!)

d.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:20 pm

the LK4 mod is utter rubbish #-o

Get a RGB to scart !! 8)
ImageImageImage

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 pm

I use RGB to Scart and the picture quality is good. If your TV doesn’t have a Scart socket you’ll need a Scart to HDMI converter. There are various available and others From stardot can suggestion which work.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

SkaterMark

Post by SkaterMark » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:09 pm

Thanks, RGB to Scart cable it is then. My TV has a miniature Scart connector, think it's a proprietary socket and a short adapter cable... Now need to figure out where that is whilst I wait for the RGB cable lol :)

Would a Scart to HDMI adapter improve the quality at all? it's going to a 32" LCD.

Even with the poor quality TV signal I had a great time introducing my 4 year old to the Electron using the ElkSD64 interface to play Rig Attack (my son's choice)

Thanks for the guidance.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:55 pm

if you have a issue 2 or 4 PCB, then the brightness is not as bright as a beeb (so pump up with TV remote).

If a issue 6 brightness is already as good as beeb

never tried RGB to HDMI, so don't know if it adjusts brightness itself??
ImageImageImage

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:49 pm

SkaterMark wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:09 pm
Would a Scart to HDMI adapter improve the quality at all? it's going to a 32" LCD.
It depends on how good the SCART RGB to HDMI converter is compare to the TVs SCART RGB analogue to digital converter and signal processing circuitry.
If you get a SCART RGB to HDMI converter (and it needs to be a decent one, NOT a cheap £15 or less unit) and it works, it’s not likely that there will be any significant difference in visible quality.

The big caveat here, is that not all modern LCD TV sets work with a SCART lead as supplied. But then not all SCART RGB to HDMI converters work with a SCART lead as supplied.

The reason is that most modern devices expect the correct automatic function switching inputs to have the correct voltages on SCART pins 8 and 16. But although the Electron can supply a supply supply to generate the correct voltage on one control input, it can’t supply the +9.5V to +12V for the other control input.

However try it and see. You may have a TV that is happy, or which has a user manual control setting.

Mark

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”