Acorn Communicator - Schematics or Service manual?

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
BigEd

Acorn Communicator - Schematics or Service manual?

Post by BigEd » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:57 pm

Just wondering if anyone has a copy, or a scan, of the schematics or the Service Manual for the Communicator?

Previous somewhat related threads:
Acorn Communicator manuals
Anyone got Communicator system software? (Basic has 65816 assembler)

BeebMaster

Re: Acorn Communicator - Schematics or Service manual?

Post by BeebMaster » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:08 pm

Not exactly, but some other things which may add very slightly to our collective knowledge of the Communicator.

At the ABug in January we were discussing (well, I was, with anyone who was listening) the "Master" and "Communicator" versions of FileStores, and that my FileStore E20 is Communicator coloured, not Master coloured.

I've now realised that there are different product codes for the two. Mine here is AFH27 whereas Chris's Acorns gives the E20 code as AEH27.

The FileStore Service Manual (at bbcdocs.com as was, I think it's archived on here) makes brief mention of the Communicator version, although beyond references to the colour scheme the only real reference is this:
FileStore E01 is The twin floppy-disc version of the FileStore file server. There are two
versions of the FileStore E01, the Master version used with Acorn and BBC computers (Part
number 0354,002) and the Communicator version supplied for use with the Acorn
Communicator intelligent Videotex terminal (Part number 0354,000).
The differences between these two versions are confined to the colour finish of the case and
plastic parts, and the software supplied with the unit.
Then I found at Chris's Acorns the Communicator FileStore Manager's Guide which is suspect is practically identical to the "Master" FileStore Manager's Guide, which I believe is a lost work.

BigEd

Re: Acorn Communicator - Schematics or Service manual?

Post by BigEd » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Good findings! Every little helps.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”